Fantastic OoS Stage!

MuMDC

I think the OoS stage was absolutely brilliant. I think Tom had been working on it for a while. I remember him tweeting when he was going to start. And he should get loads of credit for his work and anyone working with him. He appeared to use the OoS booklet for inspiration and it worked so well.

It does seem a shame that it will only be used for two shows. I wonder whether if, now they have played rarer OoS songs again, they might insert them at times in the next tour and be able to reuse the stage graphics.

I think the OoS stage was absolutely brilliant. I think Tom had been working on it for a while. I remember him tweeting when he was going to start. And he should get loads of credit for his work and anyone working with him. He appeared to use the OoS booklet for inspiration and it worked so well.

It does seem a shame that it will only be used for two shows. I wonder whether if, now they have played rarer OoS songs again, they might insert them at times in the next tour and be able to reuse the stage graphics.

They seriously need to start playing Dark Shines next tour. It was crazy beefy.

The visuals were fantastic because they were just a backdrop really, they didn't draw spectators attention away from the music much. Hyper Music and Screenager and Dark Shines were my favourite visuals. Oh and Space Dementia was cool with the Bliss single artwork

One of the reasons I think this stage was so good was because the screen took up the whole stage...it didn't look so much like a screen, more like a landscape since it occupied so much of your view

I hope they continue with this kind of stage design for the next album tour... it looked really impressive but the 'show' aspects didn't take the limelight away from the actual music. The visuals were also by far the best I've ever seen them!

Agree, the OoS stage is probably my favorite stage from them ever. Looks incredibly impressive without being intrusive either. <3

I remember Matt mentioning something about how for the 6th tour they were thinking of playing with just a screen behind them and a few lights, and it obviously works very well. :happy: Here's hoping!

The visuals were fantastic because they were just a backdrop really, they didn't draw spectators attention away from the music much. Hyper Music and Screenager and Dark Shines were my favourite visuals. Oh and Space Dementia was cool with the Bliss single artwork

One of the reasons I think this stage was so good was because the screen took up the whole stage...it didn't look so much like a screen, more like a landscape since it occupied so much of your view

Agree. the visuals were amazing but they only enhanced the music, they didn't detract from it.

Best. Gig. Ever.

Agree, the OoS stage is probably my favorite stage from them ever. Looks incredibly impressive without being intrusive either. <3

I remember Matt mentioning something about how for the 6th tour they were thinking of playing with just a screen behind them and a few lights, and it obviously works very well. :happy: Here's hoping!

Ooh I hope so. They needn't worry about an extravagant stage setup like the TR tour, people generally go to concerts for the music, not the lights.

I hope they continue with this kind of stage design for the next album tour... it looked really impressive but the 'show' aspects didn't take the limelight away from the actual music. The visuals were also by far the best I've ever seen them!

Agree. the visuals were amazing but they only enhanced the music, they didn't detract from it.

Best. Gig. Ever.

:yesey: These!

It was simple yet powerful, which is what they couldn't quite master for the Resistance tour - it felt a bit OTT at times for that tour. But the stage design for this was just the pitchfork things with amazing visuals that complemented the songs perfectly and enhanced them. They didn't overpower them at all. Just fucking awesome! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Best. Gig. Ever.

This!

and for all the dark shines lovers, here come the visuals :p

http://vimeo.com/29083643

http://colinfong.net/blog/

Dork Shines

So earlier in the year Brooke and I were asked to make live visuals for Muse’s upcoming tour ar Leeds and Reading festival, based on our work for Molecules by Russia It’s Winter.

Before taking on this project, we had already made another shadow puppet video, and were thinking of ways to make things technically better this time around.

The first time we filmed in a bedroom, with a shower curtain stretched across a painters frame, and between two storage units to prop it up. We used a house lamp to light it, and puppeteering was like a game of twister.

For this job we were given a piece of artwork from the album Origin of Symmetry and told to base the video on it. After drafting a rough storyline and 30 second test footage it was approved.

After a month of drawing, tracing and cutting robots, friends and myself in weird poses were finally ready to shoot. With the knowledge that we were actually going to be paid this time around, we hired a couple of people to help us puppeteer this time around over three nights in the living room. Brooke and I also bought some Timber from bunnings so we could give our shower curtain screen some legs this time around, so Puppeteering wouldn’t be such a pain.

While the end results aren’t as good as Limbo, I’m pretty happy with the results, although if we had time, I would have liked to have given the robots more joints and the mosh bit crowd limbs. At the end of the day we figured most people would be paying attention to the band anyway.

And this is our video at Leeds- edited for timing. Although the narrative is gone now, it looks so good up on the big screen that we didn’t really care.

I’d also love to give a special shout out to our crew Patrick Gatling & Shannon Howat for helping us make this video, and to Simon and Clare for getting us the job!

This kind of set-up would be amazing on the next arena tour. The OOS stage is the best they've ever had. It got the balance just right; big and powerfull, but not intrusive and distracting.

The stadium tour can have the big, mad stages, I loved the pyramid, but for arenas, something like the R&L stage would be perfect, save the moving towers and stuff for the stadiums.

It was like watching a different band at Reading compared to some arena gigs, they looked so energetic and free not having to worry about all the lights and visuals and things.

This kind of set-up would be amazing on the next arena tour. The OOS stage is the best they've ever had. It got the balance just right; big and powerfull, but not intrusive and distracting.

The stadium tour can have the big, mad stages, I loved the pyramid, but for arenas, something like the R&L stage would be perfect, save the moving towers and stuff for the stadiums.

It was like watching a different band at Reading compared to some arena gigs, they looked so energetic and free not having to worry about all the lights and visuals and things.

I don't see the problem with the towers; I mean they lowered them for the faster songs (so they could jump around etc etc..), then for the slower songs/piano songs they were raised up so the crowd had a better view of them. What's wrong with this?

I also have a fondness for stages which incorporate the album artwork into the stage setup. Origin of Symmetry pitchforks at Reading, hexagons for TR tour festivals... They've both been very simple stages but both worked really well in my opinion.

Considering whenever I listen to OoS, I always look for the artwork say on iTunes, my iPod, the CD etc... So seeing the pitchforks in a massive 3D environment with the music interacting with the pitchfork lights and the booklet artwork does give the impression of it sort of 'coming to life' as Muse themselves described it. At least it's made me look at artwork in a whole new way now, like it's suddenly iconic to me.

I know I sound crazy, whatever. :LOL:

I also have a fondness for stages which incorporate the album artwork into the stage setup. Origin of Symmetry pitchforks at Reading, hexagons for TR tour festivals... They've both been very simple stages but both worked really well in my opinion.

Considering whenever I listen to OoS, I always look for the artwork say on iTunes, my iPod, the CD etc... So seeing the pitchforks in a massive 3D environment with the music interacting with the pitchfork lights and the booklet artwork does give the impression of it sort of 'coming to life' as Muse themselves described it. At least it's made me look at artwork in a whole new way now, like it's suddenly iconic to me.

I know I sound crazy, whatever. :LOL:

There was also the Absolution Tour, where the first half of the show was done in front of nothing more than a curtain of the falling men on the cover.

So the Origin stuff indeed did look awesome. :yesey: I'd love to see them have a go at a much more simplified stage on the next tour.

• 1 month later...

Archived