Matt's exact quote, for anyone who can't read the link:

"It's probably the last time some of these songs will ever be played live again," he said of the 2001 album. He explained that the shows would see the band "drawing a line under one phase of our career".

Key words 'probably' and 'some of'. So it's not looking too bleak imo.

The 'drawing a line under' bit worries me though.

I don't see the big deal. We all knew this would happen.

And tbh, I see it more as a "We might play some really rare songs like Micro Cuts, Hyper Music or Space Dementia, and then never again" rather than "This is the last time we play New Born, Plug In Baby, Bliss and Citizen Erased."

+1

I hardly see New Born or Plug In Baby being removed from the regular setlist, and Bliss and CE being removed from semi-regular rarities.

And tbh, I see it more as a "We might play some really rare songs like Micro Cuts, Hyper Music or Space Dementia, and then never again" rather than "This is the last time we play New Born, Plug In Baby, Bliss and Citizen Erased."

That's how I would see it tbh. Sucks but I'd prefer it was that then the latter, though they'd be mad to drop Plug in Baby in a hurry, and its likely that New Born, Bliss and Citizen will be on the next tour.

Might be just me but I think this is the bit worth celebrating:

"we've gone off on one a little bit, and now it feels like the right time to pull it back and remind ourselves of what we were doing 10 years ago"

i.e. get back to what they do best and what we have all been screaming for! I think they'll keep the ones that get the best crowd reactions (PIB, Bliss, CE) and any bring the Resistance stuff that fits in better like MK Ultra and Unnatural Selection. I think the new album will be more like OOS than the Resistance. Or maybe that's just what I am hoping :LOL:

About time tbh. The occasional PiB or NB will be fine but this will free up some pace to play more Absolution or BHaR songs that previously went down well like like TSP, Assassin or CoD. CE and the like have had their time. FG needs to go away.

About time tbh. The occasional PiB or NB will be fine but this will free up some pace to play more Absolution or BHaR songs that previously went down well like like TSP, Assassin or CoD. CE and the like have had their time. FG needs to go away.

I swear Musers were saying this at the end of the Black Holes tour as well.

Might be just me but I think this is the bit worth celebrating:

"we've gone off on one a little bit, and now it feels like the right time to pull it back and remind ourselves of what we were doing 10 years ago"

i.e. get back to what they do best and what we have all been screaming for! I think they'll keep the ones that get the best crowd reactions (PIB, Bliss, CE) and any bring the Resistance stuff that fits in better like MK Ultra and Unnatural Selection. I think the new album will be more like OOS than the Resistance. Or maybe that's just what I am hoping :LOL:

If they are trying to distance themselves from the music they made during OoS, I doubt they would make NEW music like it. And I think you misunderstood the quote :p They aren't talking about getting back to anything, they are talking about saying goodbye to it.

If they are trying to distance themselves from the music they made during OoS, I doubt they would make NEW music like it. And I think you misunderstood the quote :p They aren't talking about getting back to anything, they are talking about saying goodbye to it.

In your opinion. I don't think they are distancing themselves from all of it, just the need to move on and make their new stuff better. They must have been pretty pissed when the results of those stupid polls for choosing the set lists didn't really acknowledge anything they had done since 2003 - it was all about CE and Bliss!! :rolleyes:

I think the line "we've gone off on one a little bit" will resonate with a lot of fans. And why would they want to "pull it back and remind ourselves of what we were doing 10 years ago" if they intended to abandon it completely? If that were the case they wouldn't even make the statement, just be getting on with The Resistance Pt 2 :eek:

In your opinion. I don't think they are distancing themselves from all of it, just the need to move on and make their new stuff better. They must have been pretty pissed when the results of those stupid polls for choosing the set lists didn't really acknowledge anything they had done since 2003 - it was all about CE and Bliss!! :rolleyes:

I think the line "we've gone off on one a little bit" will resonate with a lot of fans. And why would they want to "pull it back and remind ourselves of what we were doing 10 years ago" if they intended to abandon it completely? If that were the case they wouldn't even make the statement, just be getting on with The Resistance Pt 2 :eek:

This whole post is such complete nonsense, I don't even know where to begin :LOL:

Muse don't like most of their old stuff anymore, that's pretty obvious. They have said so several times, and now they are talking about saying goodbye to many of the old songs, maybe for good.

Yeah, Muse must have been really pissed that those stupid polls didn't choose Matt's favorite songs. God knows why people didn't vote for songs like Guiding Light and Uprising. Ohwait, Maybe it was because they are played anyway and people voted for songs that weren't regularly played? The only thing that was stupid about those polls were people like you who apparently felt like they had to vote for the new singles so that Matt wouldn't get upset.

People are clearly still on about OoS, shown in the polls for example. Why would it be weird for Muse to say that "This is the end for that kind of music. It isn't us"

I can't imagine Matt's talking about playing Plug in Baby or New Born or Bliss for the last time. I wouldn't be surprised if Space Dementia, Citizen Erased or Hyper Music (fingers crossed) showed up for one of the last times this summer. And as mentioned, now maybe we'll get Hoodoo or Sing for Absolution or TSP or City of Delusion again. One can only hope.

I agree. :yesey:

NB, PiB and the lot are just classics, so I doubt that those will be said goodbye to.

Muse don't like most of their old stuff anymore, that's pretty obvious. They have said so several times, and now they are talking about saying goodbye to many of the old songs, maybe for good.

Can't really blame them for that. Anyone can look back at something they did 10 years ago (music, art, writing, etc) and to some degree you will dislike or hate it because you've gotten better at it since. Don't think they will be any different because fans still want to hear those songs, but they dislike playing them.

I can't imagine Matt's talking about playing Plug in Baby or New Born or Bliss for the last time. I wouldn't be surprised if Space Dementia, Citizen Erased or Hyper Music (fingers crossed) showed up for one of the last times this summer. And as mentioned, now maybe we'll get Hoodoo or Sing for Absolution or TSP or City of Delusion again. One can only hope.

Agree, especially COD - was one of the best performances at Wembley 07. Yes. there are other albums other than OOS and TR which is why there must be a lot of love for OOS if lots of those great songs were overlooked last year.

Sippe - How do you know what I voted for? And I can't see that quote anywhere. And as for them not liking the old stuff (as you suggest), they choose what to play and they want the crowds reaction so they'll keep the songs that get everyone going, especially ones with big riffs/instrumentals cos those go down really well with non english speaking audiences.

The setlists got pretty slagged last year (a lot of people forgot that they were still promoting a specific album) so if Muse don't like the old stuff and fans don't like the new stuff, it will be very interesting to see where it's going.

Well I'll certainly be tuning into watch this on tv. Also like has been said before, there's no way Matt's saying that PIB etc are dropped forever, it comes across to me as him saying "yeah ok, we'll play Space Dementia for you, but then it's getting chucked".

And again has been said before I'm hoping not playing Plug in Baby, New Born and Feeling Good at every gig will open up space for some really good newer stuff that has barely had a chance to get played live like Assassin, I Belong to You, Hoodoo etc.

I think you're spot on there. For once. ;)

Can't really blame them for that. Anyone can look back at something they did 10 years ago (music, art, writing, etc) and to some degree you will dislike or hate it because you've gotten better at it since. Don't think they will be any different because fans still want to hear those songs, but they dislike playing them.

Agreed. 10 years IS a long time, and no one can blame them for wanting to move on.

Agree, especially COD - was one of the best performances at Wembley 07. Yes. there are other albums other than OOS and TR which is why there must be a lot of love for OOS if lots of those great songs were overlooked last year.

Sippe - How do you know what I voted for? And I can't see that quote anywhere. And as for them not liking the old stuff (as you suggest), they choose what to play and they want the crowds reaction so they'll keep the songs that get everyone going, especially ones with big riffs/instrumentals cos those go down really well with non english speaking audiences.

The setlists got pretty slagged last year (a lot of people forgot that they were still promoting a specific album) so if Muse don't like the old stuff and fans don't like the new stuff, it will be very interesting to see where it's going.

I don't know what you voted for, but if you eyerolled for people who voted for rarities, then you obviously voted for songs that AREN'T rarities, correct?

I have no idea where you are going with "they choose what to play and they want the crowds reaction". What does that have to do with anything?

a lot of people forgot that they were still promoting a specific album? To me it seems that a lot of people actually forgot what people were complaining about, including you.

The point with the polls was to vote for the songs you wanna hear. You would be an idiot to vote for new songs and songs that are played at every gig anyway. So I don't see why anyone wouldn't vote for older songs that hasn't been played in ages(not Bliss and CE)

I might be wrong on this, but Matt said that they've "gone off one a little bit" meaning that they've focused on the live side too much and the band feels as if they've forgotten the whole point of being a band, and that is to make good music. I think they feel like they've gone overboard on the live side and focused too much attention on it (lasers, towers, UFOs) and may think that the live shows have suffered from the insane production. Maybe they want to sit back, come up with a good album, focus their entire attention on playing well instead of worrying their curtain might not drop at the correct time.

Again, I may be wrong, but it feels like they just want to jam together a little bit and put their full attention on music.

I might be wrong on this, but Matt said that they've "gone off one a little bit" meaning that they've focused on the live side too much and the band feels as if they've forgotten the whole point of being a band, and that is to make good music. I think they feel like they've gone overboard on the live side and focused too much attention on it (lasers, towers, UFOs) and may think that the live shows have suffered from the insane production. Maybe they want to sit back, come up with a good album, focus their entire attention on playing well instead of worrying their curtain might not drop at the correct time.

Again, I may be wrong, but it feels like they just want to jam together a little bit and put their full attention on music.

Let's pray that you are right.

Archived