I was being tongue-in-cheek. The first three of those will definitely stay, they're three of their best known songs. He does say "some", not all in the interview.

But the idea that they're sort of bursting out Space Dementia or Hyper Music for Reading/Leeds isn't really a treat - I've been waiting for them to play them for about 5 years, and they never did.

You might not be but others here are so take your laughter elsewhere.

This.

For what its worth, Im sure we will still see Plug in Baby, Newborn and Feeling Good for a long time after the shows. And maybe even Bliss and CE. I think he just knows that theres alot of love for the likes of Micro Cuts and Hyper Music etc and wants to give us another chance to see them.

Thats what I took from it anyway.

edit: but if the entire clear out of Origin and Showbiz lead to Abso and BHAR rarities getting played instead then Id be all for it.

Maybe I'm reading too much into one spontaneous comment, but "last time some of these songs will be played" to me kind of makes it sound like he's referring to songs they've ACTUALLY been playing recently. I hope he didn't mean PiB and NB because even if those are staples, I still love them! SD and MC are certainly not applicable. Why not just say "this will be the last time we pull some OoS rarities out our asses?" Then we'd know what we're dealing with.

Meh.

If they take away some OoS songs of the current setlist, they'll probably not fill it in with Absolution or BHaR material, they'll just leave us with an ever shorter setlist. :p

Edited by Wozo

Agreed. 10 years IS a long time, and no one can blame them for wanting to move on.

I don't know what you voted for, but if you eyerolled for people who voted for rarities, then you obviously voted for songs that AREN'T rarities, correct?

I have no idea where you are going with "they choose what to play and they want the crowds reaction". What does that have to do with anything?

a lot of people forgot that they were still promoting a specific album? To me it seems that a lot of people actually forgot what people were complaining about, including you.

The point with the polls was to vote for the songs you wanna hear. You would be an idiot to vote for new songs and songs that are played at every gig anyway. So I don't see why anyone wouldn't vote for older songs that hasn't been played in ages(not Bliss and CE)

No, incorrect. I eye-rolled for OOS, there's plenty of great songs that get completely overlooked on Absolution and BHAR.

If they hate certain songs, why would they play them? My point is that they do have a choice over what they play.

I didn't complain about the setlist, maybe the first night @ Wembley for perfomance but saw the stadium show 3 times last year and got different songs at each.

Exactly. Other rare songs were voted for too and never got played. If Muse hate OOS they didn't have to play CE and Bliss, or NB and FG which are regulars.

No, incorrect. I eye-rolled for OOS, there's plenty of great songs that get completely overlooked on Absolution and BHAR.

If they hate certain songs, why would they play them? My point is that they do have a choice over what they play.

I didn't complain about the setlist, maybe the first night @ Wembley for perfomance but saw the stadium show 3 times last year and got different songs at each.

Exactly. Other rare songs were voted for too and never got played. If Muse hate OOS they didn't have to play CE and Bliss, or NB and FG which are regulars.

So it's impossible that people actually prefer the older songs? And still, OoS and Showbiz has a lot more rarities than Abso and BH&R, obviously. And KoC, Starlight and such were high in most polls anyway, so I don't see your point. Basically you are complaining because your favorite Absolution and BH&R songs weren't in the top, buhu.

Exactly my point. They don't wanna play certain songs, a lot of songs in fact. Or so it seems. They HAVE said that they don't like a lot of their old material, so why put these songs in the polls from the start?

I never implied that you complained about the setlist. I was saying that you have forgot what people were complaining about, whcih was lack of variety and rarities.

No one has been saying that they hate all of OoS. I don't even know what you are trying to say. They obviously don't like lots of the older material. The polls had lots of rarities in the top5, but only Bliss and CE were brought back.

What needs to be read as meaning is:

"Dear bloody messageboard, you know those bloody summer setlist polls when we ended up having to play for you bloody Bliss and CE at pretty much every bloody gig? Well enjoy them one bloody last time because after Leeds and Reading we're never bloody playing them ever again! Ta, Matt bloody Bellamy (Ps Feeling ain't bloody going anywhere)"

What needs to be read as meaning is:

"Dear bloody messageboard, you know those bloody summer setlist polls when we ended up having to play for you bloody Bliss and CE at pretty much every bloody gig? Well enjoy them one bloody last time because after Leeds and Reading we're never bloody playing them ever again! Ta, Matt bloody Bellamy (Ps Feeling ain't bloody going anywhere)"

A+ comment. If I only had the chance to interview them... oh, Matt would have a great time!

Hyper Music, Dark Shines, Screenager and probably Megalmania were probably already gone for good, with little chance that they'll be played this summer.

Space Dementia and Micro Cuts were already rarities so they're most likely gone for good now, but might be played this summer.

New Born, Bliss and Citizen Erased are already rarities but will likely be played this summer, although I imagine (with the exception of New Born which may be replaced by Unnatural Selection) that they may appear again because they know that those songs are fan favourites.

The current regulars, Feeling Good and Plug in Baby...PiB I can see as always staying around, it's the one that gets the crowd most energetic and general fans most want to hear, can't see them dropping that after these shows.

Feeling Good can go.

I don't see the big deal. We all knew this would happen.

And tbh, I see it more as a "We might play some really rare songs like Micro Cuts, Hyper Music or Space Dementia, and then never again" rather than "This is the last time we play New Born, Plug In Baby, Bliss and Citizen Erased."

This is how I'm taking his comments. I don't think he could manage MC though tbh, I'd rather see Hyper Music and Space Dementia.

Well it's a pity, but to be honest...it was always going to happen. The more albums Muse make, the more they're going to ignore their older stuff, with just the main staples getting played. But it still goes back to the issue of rotating setlists. I can't really see Muse dropping the whole of OoS, that'd be madness...PiB and New Born are still regulars, they're not going anywhere...I do hope he ditches Peeling Wood from the sets after Reading though :chuckle:

To me it seems Bellamy is trying to step away from his youth, and the songs he wrote back then...which is a pity because those songs are far better than anything he's written in the last 5 years :LOL:

Totally correct. Don't start me on setlists though, I know it will not end well lol.

Might be just me but I think this is the bit worth celebrating:

"we've gone off on one a little bit, and now it feels like the right time to pull it back and remind ourselves of what we were doing 10 years ago"

i.e. get back to what they do best and what we have all been screaming for! I think they'll keep the ones that get the best crowd reactions (PIB, Bliss, CE) and any bring the Resistance stuff that fits in better like MK Ultra and Unnatural Selection. I think the new album will be more like OOS than the Resistance. Or maybe that's just what I am hoping :LOL:

Yes. Totally. I think at Wembley they maybe thought "omg they like the old stuff" (I'm talking about night 2 btw haha) and decided to take a step back.

I think the stage will basically be them and the pitchforks from the album cover.

NB can gtfo. I'm bored of it now.

So it's impossible that people actually prefer the older songs? And still, OoS and Showbiz has a lot more rarities than Abso and BH&R, obviously. And KoC, Starlight and such were high in most polls anyway, so I don't see your point. Basically you are complaining because your favorite Absolution and BH&R songs weren't in the top, buhu.

Exactly my point. They don't wanna play certain songs, a lot of songs in fact. Or so it seems. They HAVE said that they don't like a lot of their old material, so why put these songs in the polls from the start?

I never implied that you complained about the setlist. I was saying that you have forgot what people were complaining about, whcih was lack of variety and rarities.

No one has been saying that they hate all of OoS. I don't even know what you are trying to say. They obviously don't like lots of the older material. The polls had lots of rarities in the top5, but only Bliss and CE were brought back.

I think we are going in a circle here. In short, you think they are moving away from OOS because they don't like the older material, and I don't because they have chosen to play those songs for whatever reason, polls or not. I agree that they may not be played as much in the future (although I can't see PIB and FG ever leaving) but going back to my original post (and just quoted in the post above) I don't think they'll turn their backs on the energy and style of some OOS songs that the fans obviously love, and was lacking in TR.

I might be wrong on this, but Matt said that they've "gone off one a little bit" meaning that they've focused on the live side too much and the band feels as if they've forgotten the whole point of being a band, and that is to make good music. I think they feel like they've gone overboard on the live side and focused too much attention on it (lasers, towers, UFOs) and may think that the live shows have suffered from the insane production. Maybe they want to sit back, come up with a good album, focus their entire attention on playing well instead of worrying their curtain might not drop at the correct time.

Again, I may be wrong, but it feels like they just want to jam together a little bit and put their full attention on music.

Agreed. When I read the article, this is exactly what I felt he was saying, i.e., live music vs. concentrating on songwriting & making good music.

I think we are going in a circle here. In short, you think they are moving away from OOS because they don't like the older material, and I don't because they have chosen to play those songs for whatever reason, polls or not. I agree that they may not be played as much in the future (although I can't see PIB and FG ever leaving) but going back to my original post (and just quoted in the post above) I don't think they'll turn their backs on the energy and style of some OOS songs that the fans obviously love, and was lacking in TR.

They DON'T play their older material, that's the problem. They play New Born, Plug In Baby, Feeling Good and occasionally Bliss and CE. Unintended, Cave and Sunburn were very rare.

That means that there were a lot of older songs in the polls that weren't played at all. And Matt has specifically said that he doesn't feel comfortable playing a lot of their older songs. It's only natural that when you write personal songs, 10 years later you won't really feel like bringing that stuff up. I have no problem with Muse never playing these songs again, but then don't give us fucking polls with those songs in them.

When do people think they will drop PiB and NB if not now? It was 10 years ago, and they've had three whole albums since, four by the next major tour, how many more albums worth of material will it take before these songs vanish?

I really think they will go. At least to the point where we will get either PiB or NB occasionally and that will be the maximum amount of OoS in a set list. It's time some of the other more recently album tracks had the room to exist on set lists.

Gawd, Matt can be so contradictory sometimes (or all the time). On the one hand, he wants to get back to focusing on the ‘live side’ (songs vs. laser show?) like 10 yrs ago, and then he says oops but that’s the last time you’ll get them. Huh?

And his statement of “drawing a line under one phase of our career” sounds pretty dire, though I’m sure it’s just Matt being philosophical. It’s implied that Showbiz songs have been put to bed already, which is bad enough. But what about this next phase of their career?—going away from pseudo-prog roots to focus more on pop music? Hope I’m totally off base there.

Totally agree with Zaphod blah blah:

To me it seems Bellamy is trying to step away from his youth,
I read it that way too. Happens to the best of us.

Regardless, we’ll get a better idea of wtf he’s talking about when we see the whole interview tomorrow. It’s a whole page as can be seen from this preview (& Matt’s on the cover)

http://www.nme.com/magazine

Gawd, Matt can be so contradictory sometimes (or all the time). On the one hand, he wants to get back to focusing on the ‘live side’ (songs vs. laser show?) like 10 yrs ago, and then he says oops but that’s the last time you’ll get them. Huh?

And his statement of “drawing a line under one phase of our career” sounds pretty dire, though I’m sure it’s just Matt being philosophical. It’s implied that Showbiz songs have been put to bed already, which is bad enough. But what about this next phase of their career?—going away from pseudo-prog roots to focus more on pop music? Hope I’m totally off base there.

Totally agree with Zaphod blah blah:

I read it that way too. Happens to the best of us.

Regardless, we’ll get a better idea of wtf he’s talking about when we see the whole interview tomorrow. It’s a whole page as can be seen from this preview (& Matt’s on the cover)

http://www.nme.com/magazine

I think what he's saying is less along the lines of they want to get back to playing the songs they were 10 years ago, but more to how they used to approach live shows (ie. not as 'staged' as recent live shows)

I might be wrong on this, but Matt said that they've "gone off one a little bit" meaning that they've focused on the live side too much and the band feels as if they've forgotten the whole point of being a band, and that is to make good music. I think they feel like they've gone overboard on the live side and focused too much attention on it (lasers, towers, UFOs) and may think that the live shows have suffered from the insane production. Maybe they want to sit back, come up with a good album, focus their entire attention on playing well instead of worrying their curtain might not drop at the correct time.

Again, I may be wrong, but it feels like they just want to jam together a little bit and put their full attention on music.

Good post. I hope this is the case.

edit: but if the entire clear out of Origin and Showbiz lead to Abso and BHAR rarities getting played instead then Id be all for it.

Easily, Eternally Missed. Play those plz. Better late than never :awesome: