You could've just bought an attenuator for the Bugera...

Or swapped the speakers for lower output ones.

But I agree, Who (apart from James :ninja:) needs 100W (or in your case 120) of power when a 4W amp can be easily mic'ed up for gigs...

Are you saying the 100W Orange i'm saving up for is a waste when I could just get a Tiny Terror?

But I agree, Who (apart from James :ninja:) needs 100W (or in your case 120) of power when a 4W amp can be easily mic'ed up for gigs...

*cough*

Me?

Then again, I do play bass and 100W cuts through for a medium sized gig.

I too am surprised you sold that just simply for a quieter house amp. I imagined it would have been alright live but when mic'd and DI'd, it really doesn't matter too much. The Vox sounds like a great deal anyway.

Yeah, they're not really practical, but they just sound different.

I'd already told him since it's a master volume amp, an attenuator would be somewhat pointless. Especially since it appears to be fairly high gain, and it would just add mud.

Lower output speakers? not sure what those are

Yeah, they're not really practical, but they just sound different.

I'd already told him since it's a master volume amp, an attenuator would be somewhat pointless. Especially since it appears to be fairly high gain, and it would just add mud.

Lower output speakers? not sure what those are

He means less sensitive presumably. Not that there's much variation in guitar speakers though...

I found that an attenuator worked quite well with my TSL but obviously you need the MV wide open or it's pointless!

He means less sensitive presumably. Not that there's much variation in guitar speakers though...

I found that an attenuator worked quite well with my TSL but obviously you need the MV wide open or it's pointless!

I can't say I've noticed that much of a difference with speaker sensitivity though. I've got one cab with V30s (100db) and one with greenbacks (98db).

Or are there bigger differences in some cases?

I can't say that I've ever liked attenuators with master volume amps. I'd say mine is fairly transparent unless it's at 'bedroom volumes' when it starts to sound a bit compressed. I only really use it with the non master volume amps. I've had a few others, such as the hotplate, weber, etc...the hotplate sounded horrible below -8db. At least I can get the volume low enough with this one and still have my tonez.

On the subject of loud...someone buy this. Wish I could, but I've got no extra cash and it's local pickup only. Looks like a bargain...though it needs a bit of work

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Marshall-super-bass-100w-head-original-NOT-WORKING-/130472471852?pt=UK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL&hash=item1e60c3ed2c

UK ebay always has better prices for those old amps.

If I stick a larger cab with the 4 watt, will I notice any volume difference? It's pushing a single Celestion 12"

It is pretty loud, but one concern I'm starting to have is with putting a mic on it through a PA... I've never done it before, but will the sound quality still keep through the system? It's a great PA system (not sure what it is, but it's a Carvin setup), I'm just wondering if I will still get a decent sound going through it.

If I stick a larger cab with the 4 watt, will I notice any volume difference? It's pushing a single Celestion 12"

It is pretty loud, but one concern I'm starting to have is with putting a mic on it through a PA... I've never done it before, but will the sound quality still keep through the system? It's a great PA system (not sure what it is, but it's a Carvin setup), I'm just wondering if I will still get a decent sound going through it.

Maybe a small difference. I had one of those epiphone valve junior heads a while back and i ran it through a 4x12 sometimes. It sounded bigger for sure.

But it looked ridiculous.

I don't know too much about PA systems, but you want to make sure it's mic'd properly at least.

I plugged it into a 4x12, and it did sound bigger. But oddly, it didn't sound better. It seemed less ballsy (not that it had any in the first place).

While at the shop, I plugged into a Epiphone So Cal 50. Believe it or not, it was brilliant! 50 watt's switchable to 25 (with a 4x12), 2 channels, footswitch for channels and reverb. The cleans were a lot more full than the Bugera, more organic and responsive. 120 watts was absolutely ridiculous, and couldn't really be accessed. (Remember, I bought it because it was dirt cheap, not a fanboy). The gain channel however, I wasn't expecting much out of it. But it NAILS exactly what I wanted. A bluesy crunch with a bit of breakup, I'm not trying to saturate my sound with gain.

This is the new band that my buddy and I started, it's recorded from a phone, so it's not the best of sound quality. You can get a little bit of an idea on how it sounds... Responds really well dynamically. I used the gain channel the entire time, and a tube drive boost on my pod xt for some very light lead work near the end. We wrote the song that day, and wanted to record it so we wouldn't forget it for next time. Work in progress, just some fun mostly :)

Cant hear vocals for shit though..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ef5UK2AZZ8s

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

mostly been getting rid of gear recently, but..

http://www.callahamguitars.com/blocks.htm

..Yes, I ended up putting the strat back together instead of selling it for parts. Just waiting for that, the neck (UPS is being incredibly slow) and some saddles..

If I don't end up throwing it at a wall before it's finished, I'll post pics...and maybe some clips.

other than that, some drill bits (really just to get the tuner anchor screws mounted properly) and NOS carbon comp resistors. how exciting...

Archived