Whatever Muse do, some of you will always complain.

You should appreciate Muse a little bit more.

They are the best band/live band in the world, what more can you expect?

I know that some of you want more variation in the setlist.

But think.... If Muse want to gain more fans they can`t play only songs from Hullabaloo

and Showbiz. The Resistance Tour setlists include "The Hits" because most of the people on a Muse gigs aren`t "hardcore" fans as us. And they do play some more rare songs:

- Neutron Star Collision

- Unnatural Selection

- MK Ultra

- I Belong To You

- Soldier`s Poem

- Take A Bow

- Butterflies & Hurricanes

- Ruled By Secrecy

- Dead Star

- Can`t Take My Eyes Off You

- Citizen Erased

- Bliss

- Cave

- Sunburn

(Rare songs played during "The Resistance Tour")

Read what people write before you post. Think about what you have written before you post.

"They are the best band/live band in the world, what more can you expect?"

Ehm....yes...what can you expect from the best live band in the world? Not much apparently.

The ones in bold were only played 1-3 times, two of which were only played in Asia. Your argument is faulty.

And no, we shouldn't be more appreciative, because they haven't given us a lot to appreciate this tour. No one is asking them to stop playing new/popular songs and only play old songs. You need to read more before you post.

The problem is not that they're playing songs for the new fans. The problem is that they're playing songs ONLY for the new fans, whilst pissing all over hardcore fans. It couldn't possibly hurt them in any way to play some older songs to please both ends of the fanbase.

Read more before you post, please.

Well, a hardcore fan should support his band, not saying: "The Resistance sucks, we want the old Muse back!"

I will always support them, and I love their new songs as much as their older ones, or even more.

I have seen them 3 times live, and I have always been pleased with the setlists.

If you se Muse more than 5 times on one tour you can`t expect much variation.

Avenged Sevenfold and Iron Maiden play the same setlist all the tour

Well, a hardcore fan should support his band, not saying: "The Resistance sucks, we want the old Muse back!"

I will always support them, and I love their new songs as much as their older ones, or even more.

I have seen them 3 times live, and I have always been pleased with the setlists.

Stop putting words in people's mouths. No one is trash talking The Resistance.

Read what people say before you post your ignorant arguments.

Should a hardcore fan also blindly follow the band whatever they do?

But think.... If Muse want to gain more fans they can`t play only songs from Hullabaloo

and Showbiz. The Resistance Tour setlists include "The Hits" because most of the people on a Muse gigs aren`t "hardcore" fans as us. And they do play some more rare songs:

Of course you can never please every single person if they balanced the setlist a bit more then the vast majority would be happy.

And no nobody is expecting them to only play songs from showbiz and hullabaloo so that's an invalid argument...

There are BOTH new fans and "hardcore/older" fans at gigs so it seems only fair that they should please and play for BOTH audiences not just one

- Neutron Star Collision

- Unnatural Selection -------------- > it's the resistance tour so it shouldn't be rare

- MK Ultra -------------- > it's the resistance tour so it shouldn't be rare

- I Belong To You -------------- > it's the resistance tour so it shouldn't be rare

- Soldier`s Poem --------------- > already played at the last stadium tour (2007) so you would think from 90 + songs they could bring back something else this time around

- Take A Bow

- Ruled By Secrecy

- Dead Star ------------------- > only if you live in Asia

- Can`t Take My Eyes Off You ------------------- > only if you live in Asia

- Citizen Erased

- Bliss

- Cave ------------------- > only if you live in Europe (the US in not worthy in the eyes of Muse for a Showbiz song)

- Sunburn ------------------- > only if you live in Asia or Turino

I would rather claim that a hardcore fan should have the balls to criticise the band, and not just follow along like a blind sheep ignoring all their blatant lies and bullshitting.

Stop putting words in people's mouths. No one is trash talking The Resistance.

Read what people say before you post your ignorant arguments.

Should a hardcore fan also blindly follow the band whatever they do?

I read most of the posts before I post my arguments, and all I see is complaining and The Resistance trash talking.

Of course I can understand why some of you are upset, but It doesn`t make any differance.

Muse will not play more oldies because of you

I read most of the posts before I post my arguments, and all I see is complaining and The Resistance trash talking.

Of course I can understand why some of you are upset, but It doesn`t make any differance.

You've managed to hide it well.

Since all of your arguments has been picked apart and proven wrong, I get the feeling that you didn't read.

And yes, I know that Muse doesn't give a shit about their old fans, glad we could agree.

Since all of your arguments has been picked apart and proven wrong, I get the feeling that you didn't read.

And yes, I know that Muse doesn't give a shit about their old fans, glad we could agree.

I will rather accept the fact that Muse will play ALMOST the same setlist on a tour than complain about it

Just my opinion :)

Yes, people will always complain because everyone wants different things. But what we are asking is that they don't just please the new fans or non-fans, but also the old fans who has supported Muse for years.

Why shouldn't we expect more from a band that you state is the best in the world? Why should we accept 50% when Muse could easily give 80?

But think.... If Muse want to gain more fans they can`t play only songs from Hullabaloo and Showbiz.

I don't think anyone in this thread has said anything close to that. We want a MIX of the new and old, is that weird?

The Resistance Tour setlists include "The Hits" because most of the people on a Muse gigs aren`t "hardcore" fans as us.

Of course they should play their hits. Which is Starlight, TIRO, New Born, PIB, SMBH, Uprising, Feeling Good and KoC. But what about the rest of the set? What makes it so impossible to play 1-2 rarities, and 10 songs that ISN'T just the singles?

And they do play some more rare songs:

- Neutron Star Collision

- Unnatural Selection

- MK Ultra

- I Belong To You

- Soldier`s Poem

- Take A Bow

- Ruled By Secrecy

- Dead Star

- Citizen Erased

- Bliss

- Cave

- Sunburn

- Neutron Star Collision

- Unnatural Selection

- I Belong To You

- MK Ultra

These aren't rare. They are just over a year old, from the latest album and still barely played.....oh well, people have already gone through this.

I will rather accept the fact that Muse will play ALMOST the same setlist on a tour than complain about it

Just my opinion :)

Yes, it's your opinion. No one is forcing you to complain. You are the one telling us that we should "appreciate Muse more".

I'm quite happy with whatever they play. TBH I've been listening since 99 and after a while, you've heard most of the songs.

Regarding playing less old songs, we have ALL changed since then!

:yesey:

Okay, back on topic. This is what I would like to see Muse do next tour that is still believable.

1. Write down 8 of the biggest singles. (Uprising, SMBH, Starlight, TIRO, FG, KoC, PIB, NB, Hysteria)

2. Take 5 songs from the latest album and write them down. (In this case, Exo 1, MKU, US, USoE, Resistance)

3. Look at last years polls, realize that everyone seems to like CE and Bliss, write them down.

4. Practice 5 oldies/rarities. Write down 2 of them. (Showbiz, MM, Cave, Megalomania, Fury, S4A, B&H, RBS)

5. If there's room for more, write down some songs that seem fitting.(SS, CoD, TaB, Sunburn)

Repeat this before every gig and you have the setlists.

The result could be:

Take A Bow

Uprising

Supermassive Black Hole

MK Ultra

Hysteria

Citizen Erased

USoE

Ruled By Secrecy

New Born

Bliss

Time Is Running Out

Butterflies & Hurricanes

Unnatural Selection

Knights of Cydonia

Overture

Plug In Baby

Stockholm Syndrome

Edited by Tjet

The next tour I would like to see something like...

New Song

Knights of Cydonia

SMBH

MK Ultra

New Song

Hysteria

Plug In Baby

Butterflies & Hurricanes

USoE

New piano song

Space Dementia

New Born

Uprising

Unnatural Selection

Stockholm Syndrome

Take A Bow

Rarity(MM/Sunburn/Cave)

New Song

Songs like MoTP, Starlight and TiRO are also played a lot.

Edited by Tjet

Because it's Muse, who clearly want to be the next U2. The production is the most important part of their performance these days, more important than music apparently.

U2 are shite. I see a trend picking up pace here...

That's the thing though, the setlist doesn't have to be the same and could have a bit more variation. I don't think going to multiple shows makes things boring. A boring show makes things boring. I follow other bands around multiple times and still have a great time because they shake things up.

Yes. Boring shows make things boring. I can predict every riff after each song, I can predict the order in which the set is going to go 90% of the time. I can predict when the show is going to end (ohai harmonica) - it's all shit.

Bands with a back catalogue like Muse can afford to shake it up, they just don't want to.

- Neutron Star Collision

- Unnatural Selection

- MK Ultra

- I Belong To You

- Soldier`s Poem

- Take A Bow

- Ruled By Secrecy

- Dead Star

- Citizen Erased

- Bliss

- Cave

- Sunburn

MK, US, IBTY - all TR songs, therefore should not be rare at all.

Others, you need to be geographically planted in Asia or Turin.

Soldiers Poem is a waste of time and I was disgusted they brought it back for the stadiums, like...seriously, just...what? Easy way out once again.

Muse are not the best live band in the world anymore. Anyone who believes that they are in comparison to other bands/artists is a fool. I don't need to appreciate them, apparently doing that means we all get pissed over. Why would I appreciate a band who have an amazing back catalogue yet churn out 15 song sets for £40+? Pathetic.

Lets recap what we've learnt class :)

1) Muse don't vary their setlists enough. They are stagnant, predictable, and fans are losing that euphoria a gig would give when something really rare was played.

2) For such a predictable setlist it's hugely overpriced. £40 for the same set as always. I understand a tour having the key songs off an album, but that doesn't mean you have to play the same key songs off all the other albums too.

3) Matt's gotten lazy. Yes, it's tricky playing piano and singing, but that's what we liked - that persistance. Also, if you made a mistake it reminds us it's a LIVE show, not a recording. It doesn't have to be perfect.

4) Set Killers. Songs like Soldier's Poem are terrible. They deflate the whole atmosphere. Why play crowd pleasers when you're just going to kill the excitement and anticipation?

5) Chris. Glad he's back and over his alcoholism. MAJORLY missed. Matt's had too free a reign to write. Get some bass domination back in there.

6) Muse ARE NOT the best live band in the world, or best act in the world. A fancy light show and some silly stage props/designs do not suddenly make them the dog's bollocks.

7) The 'non hardcore' fans. How many Muse fans actually go to lots of concerts that aren't very interested? None. Either you go once, in which you should just accept you don't know some of their stuff, or you've been before/will go again and so have paid for the right to hear some OTHER BLOODY SONGS.

8) Finally, tolerance. It's fair enough people defend Muse to the hills, and it's fair enough that the banter-led criticism has been a bit heavy, but compare the size of each side; most love them, tiny minority oppose.

It is NOT anti-Muse to want them to shake things up. It's trying to protect their reputation they've built. They're where they are because of the fanbase being so dedicated and their live show being so explosive and huge. I don't doubt they know this, but then, why do they fear playing older stuff? Why do majorly talented musicians claim they forgot it, or just can't do it anymore? Excuses.

The final point of this is the comment "You should appreciate Muse a little bit more". If we didn't appreciate them we wouldn't have had so many meets, so many singalongs, so many trips across the UK, Europe, the US... The fact is long term or short the fans have paid for a show. If that show is no good then we have a right to criticise it, or suggest improvement. In the terms that speak to them, monetary, we are the customer. The customer is always right.

I am just going to throw in my two cents really quick.

There is a LOT of constant bitching about the setlists on this message board. I basically agree with most of it. I badly want them to start varying their setlists more and playing more rarities. In saying that, my thoughts are that they used this tour (as I read previously in this topic) to introduce themselves to millions of new fans. I can remember when I was first getting into Muse, nearly half of the songs that were played were songs I were unfamiliar with. I got into them during Absolution pretty casually and then became a bigger fan after BHaR came out and then became a mega fan this year. At the two shows I saw them (I believe in 2006 & 2007) I didn't know any OoS or Showbiz let alone B-Sides. In looking at the setlists for those two shows, I now know that I had seen songs I would kill for nowadays (Bliss, MM, freakin Crying Shame at a free show!!). However, despite not knowing those songs, I was absolutely blown away by them.

In addition to all of that, they put heavy emphasis on visuals for their Resistance tour between the towers and the pyramids. I am sure this had a lot to do with their stingy selections at times because they didn't want to throw in a lot of songs that didn't have proper video synced up to it. I know that's not a great excuse, but it may be valid.

My 3rd point is that if you look at the home page of this Muse.mu website, you see that there are 300,000+ users. I know there are a lot of people that frequent this site that aren't members, but if you still compare that to the millions of fans around the world, that number is pretty small. Thus, the guys in Muse probably see and hear the complaints from the more hardcore fans that are on the boards constantly, but they are seeing the bigger picture. If they want to be one of the biggest bands in the whole world, they need to take this important time in their band's expansion to cater more toward the more casual fan, such as people that accompanied me and my wife to some of the shows in the US we attended.

I believe now that they have extensively toured the world, they are going to have a LOT more new hardcore fans that are going to take the time to get into their older/rarer stuff and be more familiar with it the next time they tour. In saying all that, maybe Muse's next tour will not be more of the same as most seem to be predicting. Maybe they will keep the incredible visuals, but not let them limit what they play. Maybe with their "toned down" next album, it will allow them to have a more diverse setlist.

Ok, so much for the quick thought. But that's my feeling on all this. I could be 100% wrong, they could do the same thing with the next tour, alienate a ton of the hardcore fans, and keep this same debate going forever. Despite that, I will be the first to buy tickets whenever they decide to tour again in the US no matter how "shitty" the setlists are.

And one last thought. THE WHOLE VOTE THE SETLIST DEBACLE IS STILL UNACCEPTABLE. That was the biggest crock of shit ever and there is no good reason why people voted and then those poles were 100% neglected. Has anyone ever gotten a good reason as to why that happened?

Thank you and have a nice day. :D