Maybe so, but any riff after Hysteria feels a bit pointless - that was my point. It's not the riffs, it's the songs they are added on to that I sometimes have a problem with.

Heartbreaker-riff after TIRO is awful. Much, much worse than BiB after Hysteria.

My opinion on the riffs really depends on the song. On the really high energy songs like New Born, Stockholm Syndrome, Showbiz (back in the day) it's pretty awesome when they just start riffing.

I really can't be bothered with the ones that just seem tacked on a bit randomly though - like after Hysteria, Time is Running Out, etc. I suppose it's personal preference really.

Ok, so yeah, today I went to Air Studios on a whim after Dom posted a picture on twitter of Matt playing guitar there. Long story short, I think my life is complete, for those of you that haven’t met them, they are some of the nicest guys ever. Around half an hour after I got there a load of muser girls from France and Italy arrived and waited for them with me. Anyways, after waiting for about an hour or two Dom came out put his suitcase by his car and walked over to me and said hi. Spoke to him for about ten minutes, he told me Matt was still there recording vocals and Chris had gone home earlier in the day. So I got a photo with him gave him a hug and then he went home. Then, waited for another hour or so before Matt came out. Probably spoke to him for about fifteen minutes about everything from chord progressions to how the new album is sounding.

Anyway, I don’t want to bore you with stuff you already know but Dom said the new album reminds him of OoS a lot because it’s really experimental due to a bit of electronica, bongos, 35 piece choirs etc. Both him and matt also told me there a few heavier tracks (which in my opinion is awesome!) and Matt even said one of the songs has a riff really similar to the one from the live version of citizen erased (

just after the 3:53 mark) he also told me he’s been using that Manson quite a lot on this albums because there’s a few songs in the key of A in which he uses the 7-string for the low A on it. Also, Matt told me that he’d been recording the vocals for a song called ‘Follow Me’ today, which is apparently “about having a baby and that”!

So yeah, make of that what you will. Reblog and tell any other musers that the new album is apparently sounding awesome and that also, Dom said especially that he thinks it’s definitely better than The Resistance… x

Edit: Oh yeah, also, Dom said they’re planning to play a gig in london later this year “probably some big indoor place”… I just thought I’d add that when I remembered!

Another Edit: Dom said Chris has written a “lovely piano number for the new album”…

Matt even said one of the songs has a riff really similar to the one from the live version of citizen erased (
just after the 3:53 mark) he also told me he’s been using that Manson quite a lot on this albums because there’s a few songs in the key of A in which he uses the 7-string for the low A on it.

Matt's is the kingdom, the power and the glory.

I think we're at a potential crossroads with Muse which is needed after The Resistance Tour, they didn't evolve enough, it was HAARP Tour 2.0 with new songs, which I think partly is why people tend to moan about The Resistance as an album. Look at Wembley 2010, still an amazing show as always but they hadn't evolved the Wembley experience enough since 2007.

The one thing I feel pretty confident with regarding their future shows, is I feel it would be very difficult to abandon Origin of Symmetry altogether. Can you imagine a set without Plug in Baby? Wouldn't happen. But I'm looking forward to seeing what smaller venues bring... I just hope they now evolve their live shows far more than they did for The Resistance.

~ Olivia

The one thing I feel pretty confident with regarding their future shows, is I feel it would be very difficult to abandon Origin of Symmetry altogether. Can you imagine a set without Plug in Baby? Wouldn't happen. But I'm looking forward to seeing what smaller venues bring... I just hope they now evolve their live shows far more than they did for The Resistance.

~ Olivia

They never said they were going to drop the album entirely, just give a few of the songs a proper send off (Hyper Music, Dark Shines, Screenager, possibly Megalomania, Micro Cuts and Space Dementia). Plug In Baby will always remain a staple of the setlists. New Born has potential to be dropped but could well appear on the next tour. Feeling Good may be dropped for the next tour but they will play it again.