Yea CE being played recently in america blows the argument out of the water. they just pull the towers down and play with a simple light show, they dont need a smaller setup to do that. Tbh even if they scale it down a bit i dont see next tours stage setup not having loads of lights as usual etc etc. Also the BHaR tour era is hugely underated, they rotated songs, changed the opener and closer and were choosing setlists from a great selection of songs(besides FG and SP obviosuly)

Also the BHaR tour era is hugely underated, they rotated songs, changed the opener and closer and were choosing setlists from a great selection of songs(besides FG and SP obviosuly)

+9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999!

The winter tour around Europe was fantastic! Loved the stage setup and loved the variety.

Heh, yeah. I believe they did that back in September... oh what was that gig again...oh I know! Wembley Stadium! Yeah, that's the one. :facepalm:

I hope so much an interviewer just decides to raise the setlist issue and make sure matt doesn't avoid it haha. Eh he'll just make up shit in the end anyway right?

I've got to know... What's changed for Muse? I mean, they were playing 'rarities' during the BH&R tour, and that was the album most cynics thought they sold out at! It seems that after they made The Resistance, they became almost conceited and mainstream- or, at least, in their heads, they did.

Have you been on a tour the scale of Muse?

It's alot more difficult than organizing a gig down the pub

Don't be so rude.

Seriously it's ridic that you came into this thread spouting ignorant opinions about what we were talking about. Esp when you had only read the tags.

I've been lurking on this thread and not posting much (I simply don't wanna get in the middle of all these heated opinions :LOL: I think some people are being too hard on Muse and some are being way too forgiving... I fall somewhere in between :LOL:), but I wanted to throw in a quick opinion (from personal experience) about one of the issues that keeps coming up.

The towers really aren't an excuse for not being able to play rarities. I was at the show in NJ when they played CE. All they did was just have shots of the guys up on the screens (instead of any fancy visuals) and they had yellow-y/green-y lights on the stage flashing during the heavier parts, and a soft blue light during the slow parts. Nothing fancy. Nice and simple.

They could do any song with that exact same setup. All they'd need is someone to push the right buttons to make the lights "go crazy" at the right time, or go back to being soft if the song has a soft section. Not difficult!

*bows out of thread*

Excellent post. Welcome to the thread. :)

Don't be so rude.

Seriously it's ridic that you came into this thread spouting ignorant opinions about what we were talking about. Esp when you had only read the tags.

Rude about what? I wasn't talking about him, I was talking about scale of performance that would range from a gig in the pub to a massive world tour that has been pretty much not stop for 14 months, top that off with Matt and Chris' personal lives aswell, it's alot of fucking hassle.

I didn't say I'd only read the tags, I said I'd only NEED to read the tags to get the gist of the thread.

And what exactly is it I'm being "ignorant" about, I'm looking at this from both sides of the fence rather than just a Muse fan, it takes alot of work to run a tour, especially on the scale of this one and it's all well and good slating the band because they're playing pretty much the same songs each gig, but then that's their choice and there's information we're not privvy to.

You just questioned me when I said that you stated that the stage setup was restricting them, and now you agree?

Did I? TBH I'm multitasking haven't been this involved in a thread for ages :S

I think I've been on the lines of wanting Muse to strip down the pomp and thrills, cut the support acts completely and then they and their tour management can focus alot more on the music aspect of the gigs rather than the technical side.

I feel that both Muse and their crew shit themselves making everything run smoothly that they tend to neglect the reason most people go to gigs, for the music itself.

My personal perspective since 07 has been shifted as a gig enthusiast because I'm now benched to the wheelchair spaces and don't have the same view/aspect of a gig that others do, if you catch my drift.

Wel U2 have the biggest stage setup ever made and are doing a massive tour atm and still manage to change it up....so errm, no. And has been stated before, the support band does NOT affect how long Muse play for, if Muse wanted to play for longer they could have their support act start earlyer so Muse could start earlyer. This is PROVEN by the fact that at wembley, the support acts start early in the day to make time for all of them and also give Muse a longish set.

Did I? TBH I'm multitasking haven't been this involved in a thread for ages :S

I think I've been on the lines of wanting Muse to strip down the pomp and thrills, cut the support acts completely and then they and their tour management can focus alot more on the music aspect of the gigs rather than the technical side.

I feel that both Muse and their crew shit themselves making everything run smoothly that they tend to neglect the reason most people go to gigs, for the music itself.

My personal perspective since 07 has been shifted as a gig enthusiast because I'm now benched to the wheelchair spaces and don't have the same view/aspect of a gig that others do, if you catch my drift.

You have been proven wrong to most of these point time and time again. To be honest I can't be arsed to repeat it for the 10th time for someone who's clearly not willing to listen to any other opinion than his own.

Wel U2 have the biggest stage setup ever made and are doing a massive tour atm and still manage to change it up....so errm, no. And has been stated before, the support band does NOT affect how long Muse play for, if Muse wanted to play for longer they could have their support act start earlyer so Muse could start earlyer. This is PROVEN by the fact that at wembley, the support acts start early in the day to make time for all of them and also give Muse a longish set.

The difference with U2 is they've got about 20-25 years over Muse on touring and they've been doing huge tours since the dawn of time, so I'm sure they're used to it.

The Resistance is arguably Muses' biggest tour to date and really they've only been doing BIG gigs for about 3-6 years.

ALOT of venues have curfews, with the Wembley gigs, because it's primarily a foootball stadium, games are played anywhere between 12pm-8pm so Wembley can have whatever opening time they like... The gates opened at about 4pm and the first support was about 5:30 I think, I can't really remember because as I said, I was taken ill on the Friday and had to leave before Lily Allen and I skipped the support altogether on the Saturday.

Anyway what I'm saying is that if the support were cut, the stage were stripped down, Muse could afford to start alot earlier than they have been and can still finish on time for the curfew.

You have been proven wrong to most of these point time and time again. To be honest I can't be arsed to repeat it for the 10th time for someone who's clearly not willing to listen to any other opinion than his own.

Proven wrong about what though? I'm not trying to prove anything ffs, I'm saying over and over that if you do take away the support and the flair then it is far easier for Muse to perform longer sets.

The difference with U2 is they've got about 20-25 years over Muse on touring and they've been doing huge tours since the dawn of time, so I'm sure they're used to it.

That STILL isn't Muse's problem, it's the crew. Are you saying that Muse's crew isn't good/experienced enough to handle such a big tour? Then why would they not get someone who could?

The only difference for Muse is that they may play more gigs and on a tighter schedule, but this doesn't affect what songs goes into the setlists in any way.

Proven wrong about what though? I'm not trying to prove anything ffs, I'm saying over and over that if you do take away the support and the flair then it is far easier for Muse to perform longer sets.

And you have been proven wrong because the support bands has NOTHING to do with Muse's sets, and neither does the tower setup.

The support bands doesn't take time from Muse. Muse can choose themselves for how long they want to play.

That STILL isn't Muse's problem, it's the crew. Are you saying that Muse's crew isn't good/experienced enough to handle such a big tour? Then why would they not get someone who could?

The only difference for Muse is that they may play more gigs and on a tighter schedule, but this doesn't affect what songs goes into the setlists in any way.

I'm not saying that, I'm saying that the crew has to keep such a tight schedule that it must really affect how long Muse can actually perform for, aswell as the venue curfew, which is always an annoyance but also a neccessity due to crowd control/traffic etc.

So this is setlist beef then? You want more variation/less shite in the setlists?

This I agree with.

I wasn't expecting to see them back until next year at the earliest.

If only.

I know, I've said it for awhile in other threads... I do see where you guys are coming from, because alot of you have paid to see multiple gigs on this current tour and 80% of the time it's the same songs, but I do feel that Muse have at least one hand tied behind their backs over this because of the schedule they and their crew have to keep, just looking at it from a logistical point of view, the loading/unloading, setting up, taking down, travelling, soundchecks, promo events, private lives, even the crew have their own problems most likely, nothing is perfect and if you over-reach (Which I think Muse have done on this tour) then you leave yourself open for criticism.

I'm not saying that, I'm saying that the crew has to keep such a tight schedule that it must really affect how long Muse can actually perform for, aswell as the venue curfew, which is always an annoyance but also a neccessity due to crowd control/traffic etc.

So this is setlist beef then? You want more variation/less shite in the setlists?

Once again you missed the point.

"The difference with U2 is they've got about 20-25 years over Muse on touring and they've been doing huge tours since the dawn of time, so I'm sure they're used to it."

Who are used to it? Since I already said, there is no problem for Muse, and you are the one saying that it's hard for the crew. Therefore you are saying that Muse's crew aren't used to huge tours like these.Which brings me back to my point. Why wouldn't they be used to it? And if the crew isn't able to handle such a big tour, then why not get people who can?

I just dont understand how you can justify your argument, when throughout the tour, Muse HAVE played for longer, they HAVE played older songs, they HAVE mixed up the setlist order. They just choose not to at most gigs.

If what your saying is true then they would be playing http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/muse/2010/arco-arena-sacramento-ca-1bd53d80.html, that every night. BUT then why is it they are able to do things like this out of the blue:

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/muse/2009/pala-isozaki-turin-italy-6bd71e16.html

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/muse/2010/rbc-center-raleigh-nc-33d57c81.html

Those are all on the arena tour.

Edited by Shwissky