• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Darkshines and Futurism, I have no idea why, never really used to like Futurism when listening to the Dead Star EP, but I have been learning to play it on guitar and I love it. Darkshines I never got into; I liked it but it never stood out on OOS especially when Feeling Good and Megalomania's epic, orga(n)smic chords are soon after.

It's not that Microcuts is utterly free of influence. It has them. But perhaps more than anything else they've ever done, it doesn't sound like anyone else. It sounds uniquely Muse. It feels on edge, original rather than derivative, and is just damn exciting.

I'd forgotten how good Micro Cuts is. I don't buy Static Shadows' line that it's devoid of influence.

:joker: ?

:joker: ?

I didn't re-read your post before adding my own, clearly. Balls.

Map of the Problematique- I'd say the best thing Muse have done with electronic influences, apart from maybe Take A Bow. Love Dom's drumming on the track.

Reminded of just how awesome the breakdown on Stockholm Syndrome is. Would love to hear it played with a Meshuggah/Deftones-heavy guitar sound.

Slow down SS 400x and you've basically got a Deftones / Meshuggah song :awesome:.

Ashamed came on on my gym playlist at the weekend - mega tune.

Well, for Meshuggah you'd also need to chop up the riff and speed up other parts of the song 20 fold. I'd love to hear Deftones attempt a properly fast song sometime- Poltergeist is probably my favourite of theirs.

Lyrics don't usually factor very much into my opinion of a song (except in extreme cases), especially in songs like Elite where I can barely understand them :chuckle:

Do you really find them that hard to discern on there? I like Chino's lyricism, so I tend to pay quite a lot of attention to that stuff.

I get the idea Muse could do a good cover of Digital Bath, actually. Although people might find the lyrical content off-putting.

Also recently bought a copy of Fury (well, a download from iTunes); never really listened to it for some reason. Don't really like the pitch bend intro but the rest of the song is incredibly; love Matt's vocals on it. Everything seems to work really well on it and seems brilliant. Shame it was a b-side. They should do an Oasis and re-release it with as a single and incredible video (obviously in comparison to the Masterplan).

Do you really find them that hard to discern on there? I like Chino's lyricism, so I tend to pay quite a lot of attention to that stuff.

I don't know, I guess I just tend to focus more on the music with Deftones (as with a lot of bands really). When vocals are heavily distorted I usually regard them more as part of the music and so don't divert as much of my attention to following the lyrics. Perhaps I should pay more attention to his lyrics in the future. Which Deftones songs have great lyrics in your opinion?

I don't know, I guess I just tend to focus more on the music with Deftones (as with a lot of bands really). When vocals are heavily distorted I usually regard them more as part of the music and so don't divert as much of my attention to following the lyrics. Perhaps I should pay more attention to his lyrics in the future. Which Deftones songs have great lyrics in your opinion?

I never thought of any of their vocal tracks as heavily distorted. I really like the lyrics on Passenger, Change, Tempest and You've Seen The Butcher to name a few. Also Sextape's lyrics are really quite lovely.