For the time being...nobody knows what could happen in the future, Muse could still have a big fight and split up.

Very true, you never know what will happen. But it's still a lot less possible than it was with Guns n' Roses. All the signs of the split up of Gn'R were there long before they actually did split up. And same with Pink Floyd. Those people definitely did not spend their free time with their band mates.

Why do people have this idea that producers are there to say "no" and reel bands in?

:facepalm:

Personally, I just think Muse are the sort of band that need to be steered in one direction or the other so they don't go dancing all over the place, musically speaking, and a producer is a good 'mediator' when you can't decide on something etc. I suppose you could argue that this wasn't always the case with previous producers they've had e.g. Costey wasn't everyone's cup of tea (although I thought he did a better job on Abso than BH&R).

But more than anything, I think they could discover new realms of sound and break out of their own musical cocoon if they worked with someone completely different and had a very different approach in their production... it could be a refreshing change.

Personally, I just think Muse are the sort of band that need to be steered in one direction or the other so they don't go dancing all over the place, musically speaking, and a producer is a good 'mediator' when you can't decide on something etc. I suppose you could argue that this wasn't always the case with previous producers they've had e.g. Costey wasn't everyone's cup of tea (although I thought he did a better job on Abso than BH&R).

But more than anything, I think they could discover new realms of sound and break out of their own musical cocoon if they worked with someone completely different and had a very different approach in their production... it could be a refreshing change.

The role of producer can mean pretty much anything and it'll be agreed between producer/artist/label beforehand what the producer is there to do.

The role of producer can mean pretty much anything and it'll be agreed between producer/artist/label beforehand what the producer is there to do.

Exactly... so it might be decided that said producer will fulfil something that all parties might feel is lacking. I'm not sure why you think it's such a bad idea to have a producer around; it's hardly a limitation.

Exactly... so it might be decided that said producer will fulfil something that all parties might feel is lacking. I'm not sure why you think it's such a bad idea to have a producer around; it's hardly a limitation.

I'm not saying it would be a bad thing, just what people seem to think a producer will do won't actually happen in reality. If Muse want to do albums going all over the place, that's what they'll do, with a producer or not, they've already done a couple with one!

I don't really see the point in a producer then, if they feel confident enough that they can come up with the goods between them. It's not as if they need another opinion if there are already three of them with different ideas and opinions. I suppose the only role is as a more detached presence but again, I can't see why that's necessarily a good thing. Every opinion is subjective and amongst people with a lot of experience has equal worth.

I'm not saying it would be a bad thing, just what people seem to think a producer will do won't actually happen in reality. If Muse want to do albums going all over the place, that's what they'll do, with a producer or not, they've already done a couple with one!

They just need to make sure they get a producer who doesn't think that going all over the place is a good idea.

They just need to make sure they get a producer who doesn't think that going all over the place is a good idea.

But why the hell would they?

That again is subjective. Personally I enjoy eclectic albums. I think they offer a more exciting listening experience.

There are plenty of well done eclectic albums, but Muse don't do them that well (Although same thing can be said for any modern band trying it) as they go too far with it and ends up with only Matt's voice tying everything together. There always needs to be some consistency, otherwise it does feel like a random collection rather than a coherent album.

There are plenty of well done eclectic albums, but Muse don't do them that well (Although same thing can be said for any modern band trying it) as they go too far with it and ends up with only Matt's voice tying everything together. There always needs to be some consistency, otherwise it does feel like a random collection rather than a coherent album.

I somewhat agree. Comparing BHaR with The Resistance, BHaR sounds patched together and disjointed, while The Resistance is probably even more eclectic yet is a lot more coherent as an album.

Obviously I don't think Muse need a producer to make a good album. It's their personal choice whether they think they would benefit from someone being their to fulfil whatever role they require, so we'll wait and see.

I somewhat agree. Comparing BHaR with The Resistance, BHaR sounds patched together and disjointed, while The Resistance is probably even more eclectic yet is a lot more coherent as an album.

Obviously I don't think Muse need a producer to make a good album. It's their personal choice whether they think they would benefit from someone being their to fulfil whatever role they require, so we'll wait and see.

The clean sound of The Resistance is consistent throughout, but nothing about it is beyond that.

OOS and Abso are just as eclectic, OOS being the most consistent throughout as it's all mixed in together, rather than separated into individual songs like the last 3 have been.

The clean sound of The Resistance is consistent throughout, but nothing about it is beyond that.

OOS and Abso are just as eclectic, OOS being the most consistent throughout as it's all mixed in together, rather than separated into individual songs like the last 3 have been.

I don't know what you mean. OOS is separate songs just like the others. As for The Resistance, I think it does have consistency but I'm not sure whether that was the original intention. In an interview before it was released, Matt spoke about doing a collection of distinct songs to fit in with the new download revolution.

Despite that, it ended up with consistency and I think that is beyond Matt's voice, even if the consistency is the fact that there's diversity. It's a chocolate box of style variation which somehow works together perhaps because all contributes to one rollercoaster. :)

I don't know what you mean. OOS is separate songs just like the others. As for The Resistance, I think it does have consistency but I'm not sure whether that was the original intention. In an interview before it was released, Matt spoke about doing a collection of distinct songs to fit in with the new download revolution.

Despite that, it ended up with consistency and I think that is beyond Matt's voice, even if the consistency is the fact that there's diversity. It's a chocolate box of style variation which somehow works together perhaps because all contributes to one rollercoaster. :)

You don't need to defend TR, as it's an issue I have with the last 3 albums and as a result can't listen to them. I guess it's a fault of having far too large a music collection where I've got pretty much anything for whatever mood I'm in, or just stick shuffle on for proper eclectic. The lack of focus in Muse's albums of late just don't it for me, despite some truly great songs.

Whereas OOS I can happily listen to, pretty much full on rock from start to finish. That's what I mean by consistency.

If you listen to what are regarded as some of the best albums ever done by British bands, they are often just as eclectic, but have a constant feel/mood throughout, Sgt Pepper, DSOTM, OK Computer and so on.

OoS has been mastered so that the tracks merge into one another, which I definitely think that has had a huge impact in making it sound more consistent than the last two albums, but it would still be more concise even without that because, imo, the songs have a common pattern: rock. It's that simple. While they're not all tied by a similar tempo, rhythm or notable generic style, they're bound by a unique sound that translates to an undoubtedly rock-driven album.

Throw in classical, alternative and some aspects of prog, and you get the loaded 'neo-classical space rock' term, with which the band became synonymous after OoS catapulted to the charts. I hear something of the sort when listening to Absolution, just a detection, although I find the link there is more conceptual than melodic, and some songs don't fit the 'rock' bill as seamlessly. OoS seems flawless.

I bought it, read it. Somehow a lot of it sounded like snippets from other interviews. Good read though. Bit surprised they're moving back to London.

I wouldn't give up a home in France for a London home.

Crazy. o.0

London, to me, is the best city on Earth. So it doesn't surprise me at all.

Archived