+1

What do foreigners love about that bloody dismal place so much!?

Have you ever been to Berlin? Just compare that dirty ugly hole to London, then you'd understand why Germans love London.:LOL::LOL::LOL: Honestly, I love London, that's what a capital should look like.;) But okay, everything is ridiculously overpriced, "expensive" doesn't even describe it..:eek::stunned:

London, to me, is the best city on Earth. So it doesn't surprise me at all.

Not saying London is bad, just that if I had a home in France, I'd want to keep it and only have a stop gap place in London.

I stay in London a lot, I'm not alien to it's appeal but I've also been to France and, well, it's just prettier there.

Have you ever been to Berlin? Just compare that dirty ugly hole to London, then you'd understand why Germans love London.:LOL::LOL::LOL: Honestly, I love London, that's what a capital should look like.;) But okay, everything is ridiculously overpriced, "expensive" doesn't even describe it..:eek::stunned:

London's properties might be overpriced, but most of everything else is a lot cheaper in London.

Journey on a bus in london is approx £1 or £1.10 if you're using an oyster card.

Short journey, less miles in Medway is anywhere from £2.30 and upwards.

If I could choose to live ANYwhere though, it would be Palermo. It's a capital but it still looks pretty.

Do you pour your shit into the streets over there? Only way I can imagine anywhere being filthier than London (Nothing is lovelier than blowing your nose after being in London). I still get excited when I see a bin there. :facepalm:

London is exciting at first, then it gets old very quickly and I just find it annoying now and would rather not go there if I don't have to. Too big, too many cunts and still yet to find a decent pub there for real ale.

Oh the joys of living in Finland, London didn't seem that expensive to me at all. :LOL: And the food was so cheap! :eek: Not to mention the alcohol of course.

Oh the joys of living in Finland, London didn't seem that expensive to me at all. :LOL: And the food was so cheap! :eek: Not to mention the alcohol of course.

Really? I thought food and drink were expensive compared to where I live :unsure: but I loved it anyway.

Really? I thought food and drink were expensive compared to where I live :unsure: but I loved it anyway.

Come here and you have to pay 9 euros in a cafe for a salad and small soup, minimum of 6 euros for wine in stores, 5-6 euros per a pint of cider in bars. :noey:

London's properties might be overpriced, but most of everything else is a lot cheaper in London.

Nonsense. Everything in London is more expensive. It's a huge city and you can't expect to travel everywhere on bus. The London Underground is the world's most expensive underground network, I spend £125 quid a month getting from and too work. I just been in Lisbon where I travelled 20km for 1.40 Euros. In Geneva you can get an all day bus and rail travel card for 2.50 Euros. I spend £200 a month just to have breakfast and lunch at work. It's ridiculous. There is an average price upmark on every day products of roughly 30% compared to the rest of the UK. You could never tell me Medway is more expensive. London will make a less wealthy person broke in months.

Plus a home in France may be 'pretty' but is all you want from life is a pretty view? What about the shopping, the history, the nightlife, the culture etc etc? I'm sure with Muse's money they can get property in Hamstead, London which is absolutely gorgeous.

It's cheap now because the Euro is so strong against Pound Sterling currently. That's why we're getting so many tourists in London right now shopping like mad.

Do you pour your shit into the streets over there? Only way I can imagine anywhere being filthier than London (Nothing is lovelier than blowing your nose after being in London). I still get excited when I see a bin there. :facepalm:

London is exciting at first, then it gets old very quickly and I just find it annoying now and would rather not go there if I don't have to. Too big, too many cunts and still yet to find a decent pub there for real ale.

In a city of 8 Million I'll be damned if you've gone to every pub in the city. I know shit loads of great pubs. You sound like such a rural Northerner. The big city life isn't for you. Can't be for everyone.

I wouldn't want to be anywhere else. And you're talking to a guy who's lived in Dubai and New York.

In a city of 8 Million I'll be damned if you've gone to every pub in the city. I know shit loads of great pubs. You sound like such a rural Northerner. The big city life isn't for you. Can't be for everyone.

I wouldn't want to be anywhere else. And you're talking to a guy who's lived in Dubai and New York.

I've not gone to every pub, wasn't even claiming that, just never been to one that compares to the sort of pubs I enjoy outside of London which are everywhere. And I'm far from a rural Northerner, spend a lot of my time in Bristol actually.

I'm happier living outside of London and dropping in occasionally. Dubai is ok, depends on what you're into I guess.

That said, South West London is nice, just expensive.

London is sprawling, ugly, decimated during the blitz, has a ridiculously unattractive river front. Paris is what a capital city should look like! Personally I love Vienna because I lived there for a year, it's a manageable size, but still has loads going on, it's clean, it's picturesque, it's historic.. etc etc

London is sprawling, ugly, decimated during the blitz, has a ridiculously unattractive river front. Paris is what a capital city should look like! Personally I love Vienna because I lived there for a year, it's a manageable size, but still has loads going on, it's clean, it's picturesque, it's historic.. etc etc

oh yes, i love paris as well!:D also lisbon, i seem to like every other european capital better than ours...:LOL:

maybe it is just normal that everybody dislikes his own country's capital..

This romantic view of Paris is complete drivel. Ok, away from the River Seine banks and your tourist spots, which are very pretty, Paris is in fact a complete concrete dump with some horrible tower block ridden slums. It's so dense too. There's never a break in the concrete jungle. You have pretty much one big city park in Paris and that's it. London has so much green open space it actually accounts for 35% of the entire city. That 35% would be the equivalent of combining Queens and Brooklyn in New York and turning it into one giant, green space. Unrivalled in a major city.

London > Paris

But hey, we all have our tastes.

oh yes, i love paris as well!:D also lisbon, i seem to like every other european capital better than ours...:LOL:

maybe it is just normal that everybody dislikes his own country's capital..

I just came back from Lisbon. It's a beautiful city, took my breath away. And what surprised me was how many lovers I saw out openly hugging, kissing, fondling etc. Never seen so much romance in one city, ever.

I didn't rate Lisbon's nightlife tho. Everything was closed at 2am and the clubs I went to were commercially tacky. I went to the main club, Lux, which was pretty good for decor but the atmosphere was dead.

PS. Most Londoners who live the London life will tell you how much they love London. It's always the English who don't live in London that moan. It's some sort of complex, I dunno what it is. Maybe they object to us Londoners being so proud of our city and dismissive of the rest of the country.

PS. Most Londoners who live the London life will tell you how much they love London. It's always the English who don't live in London that moan. It's some sort of complex, I dunno what it is. Maybe they object to us Londoners being so proud of our city and dismissive of the rest of the country.

What the hell are you on about?

I'm a Hammers fan for a reason, just don't want to live in London because other places are nicer to live!

Lol, how did this get to be a discussion about London?!

I personally love London, despite it being very dirty in places. Generalising that the whole city is filthy/mucky etc is too one-sided. There are plenty of picturesque places and so many historic landmarks and cultural attractions that make it a vibrant and unique city. However, I do think the tube needs an upgrade... that's probably the nastiest part, cos you do end up with black nostrils (ew!) and more needs to be done to improve congestion and traffic - of both transport and people... there's wayy too many tourists, lol!

What the hell are you on about?

I'm a Hammers fan for a reason, just don't want to live in London because other places are nicer to live!

What does being a Hammers fan have to do with anything? Is that some suggestive comment to indicate you're originally from London?

I personally find it odd that anyone would prefer Bristol over London. Under the pretty exterior of quaint, leafy hills in Bristol, lays an interior that would make even some of the worst parts of London look like Monaco.

My Dad lives in Bristol. I hate the place.

However, I do think the tube needs an upgrade... that's probably the nastiest part, cos you do end up with black nostrils (ew!) and more needs to be done to improve congestion and traffic - of both transport and people... there's wayy too many tourists, lol!

Agree with all this but traffic in London is not that bad when you compare it to cities like Paris or Rome. London's traffic is a headache but manageable at least. It's just something that needs to be contended with in all major cities.

The underground is the bane of my life tho. Go to NYC and trains come every minute. Here all sorts of irritating crap happens to delay your journey to work.

What does being a Hammers fan have to do with anything? Is that some suggestive comment to indicate you're originally from London?

I personally find it odd that anyone would prefer Bristol over London. Under the pretty exterior of quaint, leafy hills in Bristol, lays an interior that would make even some of the worst parts of London look like Monaco.

My Dad lives in Bristol. I hate the place.

Who would be a fan of them if they didn't have a connection to the place? :LOL:

Well yeah, Bristol is rough as fuck in parts, but it's just like London in that there's always something going on all the time, but being smaller, you don't have all the bullshit that comes with London and the rough parts aren't that bad really.

If I was a tourist, London over Bristol, actually living in them, Bristol anyday (I usually spend about half the week in Stokes Croft at the moment).

Who would be a fan of them if they didn't have a connection to the place? :LOL:

Well yeah, Bristol is rough as fuck in parts, but it's just like London in that there's always something going on all the time, but being smaller, you don't have all the bullshit that comes with London and the rough parts aren't that bad really.

If I was a tourist, London over Bristol, actually living in them, Bristol anyday (I usually spend about half the week in Stokes Croft at the moment).

If you live in a nice part of London, I see no reason to choose Bristol over it. You could take all the things going on in Bristol and times it by a thousand for London. Whatever you like. The arts, culinary delights, museums, celebrity fixations, nightlife, music, multiculturalism, eclectic scenes, theatre, sport etc, etc. Bristol and any city in the UK fall short. It's easily the best city in the UK, easily.

People go on about London being crime ridden, dirty. You'd expect that from a city of 8 million... But tell me, have you ever been to Birmingham? Manchester? Liverpool? Glasgow? Those cities are the definition of shitholes. London is certainly miles more pretty and charming then the other big cities of the UK.

The only two cities I rate outside of London are Newcastle and Leeds. Neither have the vibrancy of London tho.

We could go on all month about this.

Archived