Awww. I've never met Muse, and I don't think I would try to meet them (I'm just interested in reading other people's stories) but I recognise the situation from someone else I met once, who was very popular. I remember the tension and people being awkward and gushing *shudder*. I wonder if Muse, particularly Matt, get that a lot. I wouldn't be surprised. I know exactly what you mean about wishing it could have been different. I hate situations like that. Even the memories are making me feel unnerved which is good reason for never staying behind in an attempt to meet Muse and just enjoying admiring them from afar.

Yeah, I agree. I wouldn't want to bring anyone down who had a positive experience of meeting them but I would never be too keen to meet them because they way I see it they're just a bunch of dudes I don't know, so I wouldn't want to have to be in some awkward situation where it's really obvious that they are talking to you out of politeness whereas for you the fan it's a memorable event.

• 1 month later...
Yeah, I agree. I wouldn't want to bring anyone down who had a positive experience of meeting them but I would never be too keen to meet them because they way I see it they're just a bunch of dudes I don't know, so I wouldn't want to have to be in some awkward situation where it's really obvious that they are talking to you out of politeness whereas for you the fan it's a memorable event.

I personally would love to meet the band.

I get what you are saying about the awkwardness of meeting them, but if i were in a band, i'd be thrilled to go out and meet fans (the normal ones, not the psychos) because, as musicians, they owe us their careers.

I suppose they pay us back by giving live shows, but then we have to pay for them, further proving that we are what keeps them going.

If i were in a band as successful as muse, i'd be grateful to go out and meet the people who gave me my whole life.

Not having a go, just offering another side :p

It might not be the same for muse, maybe they've had way too many psychos attacking them to want to risk spending too much time (if any) with fans.

I personally would love to meet the band.

I get what you are saying about the awkwardness of meeting them, but if i were in a band, i'd be thrilled to go out and meet fans (the normal ones, not the psychos) because, as musicians, they owe us their careers.

I suppose they pay us back by giving live shows, but then we have to pay for them, further proving that we are what keeps them going.

If i were in a band as successful as muse, i'd be grateful to go out and meet the people who gave me my whole life.

Not having a go, just offering another side :p

It might not be the same for muse, maybe they've had way too many psychos attacking them to want to risk spending too much time (if any) with fans.

And I'm adding another element, offering yet another side :p

In fact, I never liked the "they owe us" thing. Yes, it's thanks to us fans that they can sell their records, sell concert tickets, merchandising etc. In short, it's thanks to us that they have a career and that they can make a (good) living out of it. But doesn't that count for any job in the world? I mean, simply put: they make music, and we like it so we buy it. It's a market like any other market. Does your local supermarket owe you because you buy your food there? I work at a big insurance company. Do I owe all these millions of customers anything? Yes, a good service, because that's what they're paying for, but then we're even (is that the right expression in English??).

Anyway, I'm not trying to say they don't have a reason to be friendly to us and stuff, I don't like artists who treat their fans like garbage either, but some people take it too far and think that artists are some "property" of the public, that they have to fall on their knees for us because it's thanks to us that they have a life :LOL: Okay I'm exaggerating now, and I'm not saying you are like that or anything, it's just something for anyone to think about ;)

And I'm adding another element, offering yet another side :p

In fact, I never liked the "they owe us" thing. Yes, it's thanks to us fans that they can sell their records, sell concert tickets, merchandising etc. In short, it's thanks to us that they have a career and that they can make a (good) living out of it. But doesn't that count for any job in the world? I mean, simply put: they make music, and we like it so we buy it. It's a market like any other market. Does your local supermarket owe you because you buy your food there? I work at a big insurance company. Do I owe all these millions of customers anything? Yes, a good service, because that's what they're paying for, but then we're even (is that the right expression in English??).

Anyway, I'm not trying to say they don't have a reason to be friendly to us and stuff, I don't like artists who treat their fans like garbage either, but some people take it too far and think that artists are some "property" of the public, that they have to fall on their knees for us because it's thanks to us that they have a life :LOL: Okay I'm exaggerating now, and I'm not saying you are like that or anything, it's just something for anyone to think about ;)

Hmm, good point there.

I agree that bands shouldn't be seen as "property of the public" (nice way of putting it :p)

That really is too far. No, just some respect and appreciation to the fans who are really there just to meet the people they look up to and respect would be nice.

Yeah, i was just saying that's the sort of mindset i'd have towards the fans if i were in a band. I have nothing against muse or any other band for that matter if they think otherwise, i suppose i just get a kick out of being given the opportunity to make someone's day :LOL:

And there's another thing, you'll never know what the band thinks about meeting fans until you actually go and meet them.

Maybe they love meeting fans, new people who already share a common passion.

Or maybe they find it a tedious and annoying but neccesary part of their career.

Or maybe they couldn't care less about the fans and, like you said, treat them like garbage.

From a fan's point of view, i'd prefer to go and find out rather than avoid potential awkwardness and miss out on meeting the source of my inspiration and motivation :D

Hmm, good point there.

I agree that bands shouldn't be seen as "property of the public" (nice way of putting it :p)

That really is too far. No, just some respect and appreciation to the fans who are really there just to meet the people they look up to and respect would be nice.

Yeah, i was just saying that's the sort of mindset i'd have towards the fans if i were in a band. I have nothing against muse or any other band for that matter if they think otherwise, i suppose i just get a kick out of being given the opportunity to make someone's day :LOL:

And there's another thing, you'll never know what the band thinks about meeting fans until you actually go and meet them.

Maybe they love meeting fans, new people who already share a common passion.

Or maybe they find it a tedious and annoying but neccesary part of their career.

Or maybe they couldn't care less about the fans and, like you said, treat them like garbage.

From a fan's point of view, i'd prefer to go and find out rather than avoid potential awkwardness and miss out on meeting the source of my inspiration and motivation :D

Yeah I would definitely want to meet them too, because to me they look like they really enjoy meeting (normal) fans. The way they use Twitter for example also shows that they like to keep in touch with the fans, and not just out of politeness. I guess very much depends on the personality of the artist, like with any other person you might meet. Some people are very sociable and always like to meet new people, others like to meet people too but are very shy, some people simply like to be alone and don't want too many "strangers" around them, etc. Some might say "people who like to be on their own shouldn't go in the music business", but I don't agree with that. Everyone has their own personality... But I agree with you that the least artists can do, is show some respect and appreciation to the people who actually look up to them.

Me as an artist would be somewhere in the middle I guess, I'd like to meet fans all around the world, but not more than five at once because I'm too shy :LOL::facepalm:

I find it important to treat them as humans and don't make them feel uncomfortable.

Just chat with them and that's all. I know, it's easy said :LOL:

I agree with the points above in case of the "owe"-thing. It's the economy world wide.

It's easy: achievement for value.

I hate the property of public thing. :rolleyes:

My work mate always says "If you are in this buisness, people have the right to know about your private life!" I mean... Come on..... Get a life! :rolleyes:

As it's already been said: They don't HAVE TO be nice to fans. There are a lot of artists who treat their fans like shit...

Or tell me at least ONE artist (expect Chris) who invites fans to play football?

I told this my parents and they were like ":eek:, really?".

This is just an example. You SEE it that Muse want to be in touch with their fans. Twitter is the best example!

I think (no wish-thinking or anything), REALLY, Muse are interested in their fans :)

Everyone keeps saying they wouldn't like to meet Muse, but I sure would! :LOL:

I honestly don't care about meeting them as my "gods" or something creepy and fan-ish as that, I'd just really like to ask them what it takes to get where they are today (since my dream is to be a bassist/pianist in a band) :supersad:

Yeah me too, I think they're really interested and not just doing it for the show.

And as for the example of Chris: so many people criticised him over the past, for not speaking to fans that much, not doing interviews and stuff, as if he didn't care and blah blah blah. And it turns out that HE is actually the one inviting fans for a game of soccer, and HE turns out to be the one actually replying to fan's messages on Twitter. Where are all those people now to say he doesn't care? To me it only seems like he's shy and doesn't like too much attention from too many people at once, and all the cameras and stuff, but he loves to do spontaneous things like making two teams with random fans to play some soccer. As you said: how many stars will do that!?

edit: That was actually in reply to Stephanie, forgot to quote her.

The thing is that whenever Chris has had any spare time, he's always wanted to spend time with his family. He really is a family man and I can respect he'd rather spend time with his wife and kids than doing interviews.

Exactly. But apparently, that's hard for a lot of people to understand. Of course I can imagine those people prefer to read juicy stories in the tabloids about famous people, about how they abuse their wife and don't look after their children and stuff :rolleyes:

Yeah me too, I think they're really interested and not just doing it for the show.

And as for the example of Chris: so many people criticised him over the past, for not speaking to fans that much, not doing interviews and stuff, as if he didn't care and blah blah blah. And it turns out that HE is actually the one inviting fans for a game of soccer, and HE turns out to be the one actually replying to fan's messages on Twitter. Where are all those people now to say he doesn't care? To me it only seems like he's shy and doesn't like too much attention from too many people at once, and all the cameras and stuff, but he loves to do spontaneous things like making two teams with random fans to play some soccer. As you said: how many stars will do that!?

edit: That was actually in reply to Stephanie, forgot to quote her.

Got it ;)

I haven't ever been one of those who thought he wouldn't care. He IS a family man and he IS shy. It's not meant in a bad way for fans. Of course, I love interviews which he is at too but I also respect it if he prefers to be with the family. Family is something important.

Imagine YOU would be in such a successful band and when you leave the arena/stadium and there are waiting screaming (etc) fans... This just would make me feel uncomfortable.

I really would love to meet them and I'll try my best on their next tour in Germany :)

Exactly. But apparently, that's hard for a lot of people to understand. Of course I can imagine those people prefer to read juicy stories in the tabloids about famous people, about how they abuse their wife and don't look after their children and stuff :rolleyes:

BUT then they are gossiping about how they treat their wife and children. Honestly, I'd prefer it to know Chris is at home with his family and spends as much time as possible with them. Instead of scandalous-juicy-stories in tabloid magazines

Tabloids always turn stories that way how they want them to be.

Got it ;)

I haven't ever been one of those who thought he wouldn't care. He IS a family man and he IS shy. It's not meant in a bad way for fans. Of course, I love interviews which he is at too but I also respect it if he prefers to be with the family. Family is something important.

Imagine YOU would be in such a successful band and when you leave the arena/stadium and there are waiting screaming (etc) fans... This just would make me feel uncomfortable.

I really would love to meet them and I'll try my best on their next tour in Germany :)

I think we'll have to wait a few more years now to see them again in Germany/Belgium/..., except maybe if they do the festivals again next summer. But during a festival tour I guess it's very hard to meet them. The coolest would be if you just bump into them somewhere, but that's not very likely to happen, unfortunately :)

I think we'll have to wait a few more years now to see them again in Germany/Belgium/..., except maybe if they do the festivals again next summer. But during a festival tour I guess it's very hard to meet them. The coolest would be if you just bump into them somewhere, but that's not very likely to happen, unfortunately :)

You really think? I would have expect their next tour in germany with the next album :stunned: I am kinda sure they won't be in Germany next year.

You really think? I would have expect their next tour in germany with the next album :stunned: I am kinda sure they won't be in Germany next year.

Yeah I also think with the next album... But I only expect it in 2011, 2012 :unsure:

I mean: BH&R was released in 2006, The Resistance in 2009... So 2012 sounds reasonable doesn't it :LOL:

Yeah I also think with the next album... But I only expect it in 2011, 2012 :unsure:

I mean: BH&R was released in 2006, The Resistance in 2009... So 2012 sounds reasonable doesn't it :LOL:

I expected around 2012... Just you wrote "few more years" and it sounded like 4/5 to me :LOL::LOL: :facepalm:

I think I can survive 2011 cause I won't be able to attend a gig about exams I think :p So I am ok with 2010 :D

The thing is that whenever Chris has had any spare time, he's always wanted to spend time with his family. He really is a family man and I can respect he'd rather spend time with his wife and kids than doing interviews.

Basically. And most celebrities would already be divorced by this point in their life. People don't give Chris enough credit for that.

Plus, I hardly think he seems rude in the least. It's quite common for people to be shy, especially in front of the camera (I know I hate saying stuff in front of people, just makes me feel uncomfortable)!

I went go-carting with Muse back in May 2007 in Columbus, OH (there's a video of it on YouTube). And yesterday I won passes to meet/greet Muse!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm going to meet them on Tuesday before they play their show in Columbus :D:D:D:D

Great!!! Congrats! Please let us know how it was :happy:

I went go-carting with Muse back in May 2007 in Columbus, OH (there's a video of it on YouTube). And yesterday I won passes to meet/greet Muse!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm going to meet them on Tuesday before they play their show in Columbus :D:D:D:D

Go-carting! THAT IS SO COOL! I'd love to meet them in that kind of laid back, fun situation! *looks for youtube video*

That happens too though :yesey:

A friend and I got to meet Dom in Singapore during the after party at the Pan Pacific Hotel's Stereolab. My friend's cousin works for a local music magazine and was friends with one of the opening bands (who opened for Muse), and she helped us get inside.

We had to wait at the VIP area of the club for a while, and it was kinda awkward because our unkempt post-gig selves were sticking out like sore thumbs and sipping water, while everyone else was dressed properly and huddled in groups. Finally Dom arrived along with Morgan, Tom and a bunch of friends and girls (!), and they sat at the table beside ours. I tried to contain my excitement, even though I was almost hyperventilating! I couldn't believe Dom was just four feet away from me.

At first we tried to figure out how to approach their table. It was an exclusive area and we figured we didn't want them to be bothered by fans... until a couple of girls came up to their table and asked for a photo. We lined up behind them, but when they were done Dom didn't notice us and went back to their table. Shyly, I walked to where he was seated, stood behind him and tapped his back (!!!!!!), and finally we introduced ourselves and asked for a photo. :LOL:

We gave him one of these as a gag, with a tiny dedication underneath. We lifted the barrel in front of him and he laughed; it was cute. :p

barrelmanhb5.jpg

:chuckle:

We waited for another hour for Matt or Chris, but they never arrived. :( It was awesome, though; getting to meet Dom, talk to him for a bit and give him a present! :D:D

That happens too though :yesey:

Yeah... Cause they DO come outside don't they :LOL:

Only they never do when or where I'm around :phu:

Oooh I remember that vid! You're so lucky, what are the odds to win a meet & greet twice!?

Enjoy it and say hi from us ;)

Archived