Back in 1999 when I first heard Muscle Museum I really liked it but apart from that I remember thinking they were that weird band with the weird video full of crying people, and Muscle Museum was the weird song sung by a guy with a weird voice. But I DID like it VERY much :LOL:

The first time I heard Muse

was when Bliss came out

and I saw the video on MTV

I think I was about 10

and the idea of falling without stopping

was kind of terrifying to me!

and well, since then I've been a Muse fan :)

Bliss was actually the first Muse video I ever got to see on MTV... I didn't have cable/satellite for quite awhile and between the time I first head Muse in the 90s' up until I saw Bliss, it was just great to be able to see them in an actual video.

It's also the best video they've featured in so it was a double bonus :happy:

The first muse song I ever heard was Bliss but I was young and didn't know how to appriciate it. A few years ago I saw on tv a trailer for the movie 300 and in it there was a small part of knight of cydonia. I thought it was amazing and started looking for the song but to no avail. and than 6 months ago I read the twilight series and the author is a big muse fan! on her site she posted songs she heard while writing the books, and there Is a lot of muse there! :D

I was listening to SMBH and I was like: Okay, I like the music. But I DO NOT like the voice!

Two days later I was in love with the voice and I searched more of their materials on YT

Funny thing is that this same time happened with my overal favourite band RATM. At first I hated the voice of ZDLR; or at least the way he used it.

the first song i heard , was supermassive black holes

i like it so i started listening to more of their songs. i fell in love with their music , its something out of this world. something different , its amazing. they change my life!!!!

Well, it all started with TIRO (of course). I heard it on a mix cd that was playing in the art room at my school. I loved it when I first heard it! But then, I never pursued it. Not until I heard Hysteria about a year later. I loved that Bass line so much I itunesed muse, and found TIRO again. And I still remembered it after only hearing it once a year ago! And it all spiraled out of control from there...

This happened in early 2007. My brother commented that he was getting into "Muse" now. I mixed them up with a band called "Mundy" or something, so I was just like meh. Then one day I was bored looking through my itunes library and then I spotted three Muse songs (Uno, Blackout and Can't Take My Eyes off you), so I thought, what the heck, and began listening to Uno. The other bands I liked weren't quite as heavy, but I was quite impressed and then listened to it three more times, and then got hooked to the song. I'd never heard a tango rock song before (yes, it had tango in it.) I wasn't quite as impressed with Can't Take My Eyes off you (it is a cover after all, and I like it now), and Blackout. (Which is funny, because Blackout is now one of my favourite songs. It seems often the songs that grow on you are the best)

Anyway, my brother heard that I liked it, so he brought Absolution around, which would become and remain my favourite Muse album. I still remember my reaction when I first heard Apocalypse Please and the chorus of Stockholm Syndrome. I was so happy that I had such awesome music to listen to. Eventually my cousin lent me BH&R. The first time I heard it, I had it fairly quiet (I had too unforunately) on a crappy speaker, so I didn't like it that much, but I did love Starlight, so much that I played it several times in a row. Unfortunately because of that I got sick of it and have never been able to appreciate it like I did the first time. Eventually I grew to love that album as well and then I got Showbiz and OOS after hearing Sunburn (which I loved). I didn't like them that much, but then they grew on me (I actually found Citizen Erazed to be quite boring for ages, but now I love it). So yes, that's how I love Muse, and I've never been able to understand why everyone seems to dislike Uno. I think the band thought it would be more popular too: it was the first single.

Some years back I was driving and heard a snipet of Knights of Cydonia on the radio. I was AWED by the sound of their ability to combine such fat riffs, a falsetto voice and still come off as cool. Also, I was completely turned on!!

I tried to listen for them on the radio again for some months after that, but could never find them and had only heard a small portion of Knights. Then, on my last day in the States before moving to India, I was driving in San Francisco to the Indian VISA office and BOOM! There was SMBH on the radio!

I was floored and my brain did a squeeze thing where it compressed time when I realized this was the band for whom I had been searching for some time and now I was on my way to bumbfuckEgypt...aka Southern India...to meditate in an Ashram for an undetermined length of time!!! KILL ME NOW!!! So, I pulled over and listened intently to the words so that I could search for it online. (I actually had them hand-written on a notebook of errands I had to finish before leaving the country.)

The next day(s), I flew Singapore Airlines for 27 hours to India and all hopes of hearing Muse were banished. Of course, periodically, I did try to find them in the Bangalore "cafe's" and music stores LMFAO but the closest thing to American music was Justin Timberlake.

Fast forward to about a year later when I arrived back in the States. Picture this: I'm a strict vegetarian, celibate, wearing nothing but white clothes, and having just completed a strict meditation program (which I loved!!) and being used to Indian music, meditating up to 12 hours a day, and being in silence...sometimes for days on end. Nothing but mantras in my head....then.....

Picture me frantically searching for Muse the first chance I got at a computer!! I bought all of their albums at once and the rest is history.

Well, you all know the story of the Muse obsession...:):)

My best friend was into Muse and he considered it his personal mission to make me like them. This was less than a year ago, and I was pretty much solely into jazz (I still love it).

For a long time he meant to bring me Showbiz, not because he thought it was the best album but because it was the first. But, since he can be lazy and forgetful, he didn't.

At some point I came to love the hysteria riff, but I never actually heard the song. Between classes one time he also showed me the middle of B&H to show the rock-classical transition. I thought it was interesting, but was mostly eh.

Finally, late last year he gave me Showbiz. I still wasn't convinced I'd like it. Listened to Sunburn- my first full muse song- and thought it was a bit harsh-sounding. But I immediately liked something about it, and after a few listens came to love the whole album. Then I got Oos, and later absolution and BH&R. I loved it, but always had to listen to it several times to really like it. And it took me months to like SMBH due to the popness of it.

And then I became the avid Muse fan I am today...

I was buying a movie at target around the time right before Absolution came out in the states and the beginning of hysteria blasted on....i remember i stood up and walked over to the electronics desk guy and asked him if he knew who it was and he looked at me like i was crazy....i spent the next few hours after i got home figuring out who it was and got hooked

jenniferjenkinsdc excellent Muse intro. Wish mine were as interesting, but I totally get the AWED thing.

Hysteria was my first encounter with Muse, too. Listening to it made me feel the same way I do when I paint or sketch - like falling down the rabbit hole. I had to remind myself to breathe when it ended.

jenniferjenkinsdc excellent Muse intro. Wish mine were as interesting, but I totally get the AWED thing.

Hysteria was my first encounter with Muse, too. Listening to it made me feel the same way I do when I paint or sketch - like falling down the rabbit hole. I had to remind myself to breathe when it ended.

I'm totally onboard with the 'rabbit hole' thing!

The first time i heard muse was when absolution first came out in the US. I heard TIRO on the radio. I thought, this is such an awesome song.

I initially thought that the band singing this song only had one good song.

I'm one of these pitiful people that recognized them while sitting in cinema watching 'Twilight'

Or (to tell the truth) I didn't recognized them Like "Wtf what a unbelievable great band!" , I kind of hated SBH when I heard it. I felt that there was something special with their music but I wasn't used to that...

A few weeks later a friend of mine recommended Absolution and when the Intro was over and Apocalypse Please begun... it was to late to stop my Muse-delusion :LOL:

I guess my antipathy in the beginning was caused by their very own style. Although SBH is very Pop-like it wasn't a antipathy like I show it to most of Mainstream Music played in german radio stations. It was because my ears were not used to the erm....muse-ish Music. I see that proven everyday in my family - my mother calls Matt a "Torturer of Instruments" or however to translate it :stunned:

Archived