My first song was either Starlight, or Uprising. Starlight was the first one I listened to regularly, though. The first time I heard Starlight was in 2012, when it was used in a promo video for a youth retreat I go to every year. It was my favorite song for a while, and whenever we did projects in school, or really anything involving music, I always included Starlight. In fact, last week, I found a piece of paper with altered lyrics for Starlight on it that I made in 5th grade. The lyrics were about going into middle school... Oh god, I swear I almost puked when I saw it. I kept it though, because my 5th grade self would have never dreamed of shouting those lyrics along with the 20,308 other people in that stadium, including Matt himself in the center of the stage. It took me four years to actually get into this band, but man, I am so glad that I did.

I have a feeling that it was Time Is Running Out, around 2003, on Radio 1, just when they were starting to get much more mainstream exposure.

I think my next song was Plug In Baby in a club at uni. The dance floor filled up quickly when it came on. I still remember hearing that guitar intro for the first time, like it was only yesterday.

Incidentally, I heard both these songs live at my first Muse gig a few weeks ago. Took me long enough to go and see them! I started to really get into them much later than when I heard the above two songs - a friend lent me the first 5 albums. I'm still waiting to give 2nd Law a proper listen - I'll admit that the singles never drew me in, but I want to give it a chance and complete my collection of all 7 albums.

• 5 weeks later...

I do really think the first time I heard a Muse song was Undisclosed Desires. That played on my country's TV3 version as the advert music for CBS's Elementary. Just idk what year was that. I was like, "oh my, that song is cool, what's the name of it?" Months later I found my answer when I saw the song's name on a Eurovision fan forum, played it and was like "oh so THAT'S the Elementary song!! yaaaaay ^_^"

Crazily enough, my actual first song would've been Panic Station if it wasn't for my sheer ignorance back at the time of 2013 iirc...

• 1 month later...

Archived