Progressive Song Discussion Thread

Aussie Muser

I love the bassline, I suppose for the fact it is so simple yet manages to stay memorable. We all know Chris can shred his bass or make melodic basslines, but seeing that he could make such a haunting, yet simple intro, was a sign that he was going to have a smashing career. As for the rest of the song, I'll admit, it can seem repetitive at some points, but Matt manages to liven it up with all his fuzz and voice octave effects. I hear a lot more hype about the Origin of Symmetry album (of which I can't disagree with) when I talk with my Muser friends, so I'm not sure where the idea of Muscle Musuem being overrated is from, but nonetheless, it's a groovy, and haunting song. I dig.

9/10

I think the overrated factor comes from this being singled out as one if the three good tracks on Showbiz. That argument shits me because I think there are lots of good tracks on that album. It probably does deserve to be in the top three but for me this song is just really good without really blowing my mind.

It's hard to describe. I would kill cute little puppies and kittens to see it live though. This song has such incredible energy.

Few more days on this song I think and then onto Fillip.

Someone asked when b-sides will be done as well. I am thinking we do each album then all the B-sides from that era. Meaning once this is done we discuss Con-Science, Coma, Twin, Spiral Static, Twin, Do We Need this and Jimmy Kane and Agitated. Are there any Showboz era b-sides I have missed. Is Host here or is that around OOS time? Oh and yes, Hullabaloo tracks are done at the time of the CD which will be after Origin B-sides.

Everyone like this?

9/10

Along with Sunburn, Uno, Showbiz and Unintended, and to a lesser extent, Cave, Muscle Museum makes up for the otherwise fairly average quality of the rest of the album. It has an interesting flamenco-inspired (I think it's flamenco, correct me if I'm wrong) melody and a simple but memorable bass line, and it builds to an amazing climax at the end, with great vocals throughout. Unfortunately the music video is abysmal. Even the band think so. :LOL:

Everyone like this?

Sounds fine to me. :)

ok, so you all basically summed up all of what i had to say, its a bloody brilliant, yet simple song (hey, its their first album, you cant expect Stockholm Syndrome quality right out of the gate). perhaps my favourite version is from Glasto '04, just the added little riffs and such made the song sound soo much better, especially the ending. Also love that live version because of Bomber Manson, my fave Manson yet! its a shame it got retired :(

Sunburn - Musically an excellant album opener, especially for a debut. Some days I like it and some I don't for some reason. I love the piano playing, and the ending is very good (from the last chorus ish).

7/10

Muscle Museum - Simple melodic bassline starts us off. The song really gets me going when the guitar comes in before the chorus. Again, sometimes this song bores me and other times I love it. A Muse classic.

8/10

Ok, it's been a week and discussion was solid on MM. Onto a lesser light (in fact we have a few coming up) so we may not go the whole week.

Fillip (actually, is it one or two l's - i never take notice) is not one of the most popular Muse songs and to me it is their most generic track. that doesn't mean I don't like it, it just means it's very bland and unorigi- OH WAIT A MINUTE!!!!!

Where the hell did that piano interlude come from?

See the thing I love most about this track is the fact that nobody really excpects that to happen and its just beautiful and haunting all at once. Who thought of putting a beuatiful piano piece right in the middle of a rock song. Then there's the slow build up into the final chorus. Lovely song :happy:

7/10

Filip

5.5/10

I'm with Aussie Muser, the bridge is what livens this track up. Until then, it is nothing special, and a tad bland, but then the piano with the beautiful, eerie falsetto kicks in and makes up for it. However, the rest of the song is rather dull; too dull for me to rate it any higher than what I've rated it. Not one of the best Showbiz songs.

I like Filip, it has cool lyrics and I love the breakdown, it's amazing. An underrated and overlooked track imo. Could work again live, but I doubt we'll ever hear it again.

7/10.

Agreed. It's not one of my favorites, not even on Showbiz, but I still like it. 6,5/10

People don't seem to like Fillip much. I like it. Maybe because when I heard it start with "It's happening soon" it reminded me of Wir sind Helden - Wenn es passiert. That song is about something good happening and wanting to be there when it happens (makes me think of Wembley :awesome:). The mood of the sound also reminds me of that Wir sind Helden song. Only that Fillip is a bit... doomier.

Fillip:

When I started listening to Showbiz at first I got into Muscle Museum and I was listening to it constantly, since Fillip is next track, sometimes I wouldn't notice Muscle Museum had finished playing so I would listen to Fillip too and slowly I began to like this song a little bit but still it never became my favourite. I think I would rate it 7/10

I don't understand how people dislike fillip I admit it isn't one of the best songs by muse and definately not one of the best songs on the album(Sunburn, Showbiz, Escape) but i find it a great song and it fits well between muscle museum and falling down. I especially like the breakdown and how it comes back into the song.

7/10

Fillip is a quintissential burst of real crazy young Muse. Love the ferocity yet unrefined sound of the riff. When the track builds back up, cascading into that massive final chorus, my head explodes.

Albeit, the seperate parts of the song don't gel together amazingly well. And while the chorus is catchy it's also kind of... annoying, I guess. But I do love listening to this.

7 / 10

I think the overrated factor comes from this being singled out as one if the three good tracks on Showbiz. That argument shits me because I think there are lots of good tracks on that album. It probably does deserve to be in the top three but for me this song is just really good without really blowing my mind.

It's hard to describe. I would kill cute little puppies and kittens to see it live though. This song has such incredible energy.

Few more days on this song I think and then onto Fillip.

Someone asked when b-sides will be done as well. I am thinking we do each album then all the B-sides from that era. Meaning once this is done we discuss Con-Science, Coma, Twin, Spiral Static, Twin, Do We Need this and Jimmy Kane and Agitated. Are there any Showboz era b-sides I have missed. Is Host here or is that around OOS time? Oh and yes, Hullabaloo tracks are done at the time of the CD which will be after Origin B-sides.

Everyone like this?

I think B-side songs should be less than a week or 2/3 a week to keep people interested.

I think B-side songs should be less than a week or 2/3 a week to keep people interested.

That's a good idea but what I'll do (and this is the same with any song) is guage the general reaction of each song so if a song looks like there's not much more discussion going on about it, we'll go to the next one.

Fillip is actually getting quite a bit more discussion than i thought but yes - with B Sides I am thinking we probably could knock off 2 or 3 a week.

Thanks for your input. :)

Archived