Progressive Song Discussion Thread

Aussie Muser

Escape:

I would die to hear this song live! :supersad: This is one of my favourites from Showbiz and according to my last.fm, it's Muse song I've listened to most. I think I like it so much because of lyrics, when I hear it I always create some complicated story in my head.

Escape

► Possibly Muse's most lyrically intense song to date.

▲ Some of Matt's best vocal work.

▲ Fantastic harmonies. (Pretty sure it's Chris?)

▲ Great guitar solo.

▲ The chorus never fails to get me going.

▼ The verse riff gets old quickly.

▼ Not a fan of the sound quality.

8/10

I thought we were on Overdue; I was very surprised at the high ratings. :LOL:

Escape 5/10

It's got some decent parts to it, and I like the transition from the slow harmony to the abrupt fast part (best word I could come up with). Overall though, it's nothing special, although I wouldn't call it a bad song.

Escape - A song that means a bit to me as once again I can relate to it. I love the raw and very harsh lyrics in this track, love the vocals but for mine this is one song that takes you by surprise and knocks your socks off. You don't expect it to be very rocky after the opening verse but its still very nice and melodic. Then from the "Whyyyy can't you just love her?" it really starts to explode.

One of my favourite parts of this track is the harmony during "And it's driving me mad" where if you listen carefully, you hear (I assume) Chris doing this beautiful "ooh-ooh-ooh" - in fact the harmony as has been mentioned quite a few times already is wonderful throughout the track...

Another thing I love is the guitar solo - it just seems so grungy and heavy - this is a great songh to crank up in the car REALLY LOUD!!! I also love the way the song sort of calms down in the end although you still hear all the feedback and distortion in the background during the final verse.

Just a wonderful song, and in my opinon one of Muse's most underrated.

9/10

Speaking of being late, Its time for Overdue.

Overdue - many people consider it to be the worst Muse song out there. Possibly because it is so short. Let's see I like the verses and the intro and the line "Im young but I know that I'm aroused". Apart from this, the song just does nothing. It doesn't wow me like most other Myse songs.

My first thought was perhaps it is too short. But then I heard the extended version and oh my God - the original is way better. I think it's just that this song is so - what's the word? Meh.

6/10

Overdue

► It's short. Which can be a good or bad thing.

▲ Good production. Lots of dynamics.

▲ The guitar spam is quite awesome.

▲ Falsetto.

▼ The lyrics. :facepalm:

▼ The subject matter. :facepalm: :facepalm:

▼ Too experimental. Gets on your nerves after a while.

6/10

Hate This and I'll Love You - One of the reasons I created this thread. Nobody would ever talk about this song otherwise which is a shame because it is a hidden treasure.

I love the mandolin (right?) at the beginning - really sets the tone of the whole song.

I also love the heartbreaking line "You led me on" and how plaintive and desperate Matt sounds singing it.

The solo is another part I really like but I think one of the reasons this song doesn't get much discussion is because it is five minutes long but nothing really seems to happen. Sort of like an extended version of escape which touches me for personal reasons. This song is a little different to most of the other stuff on this album as its not so angsty as the rest.

It's a wonderful album closer too.

8/10

Hate This And I'll Love You is a brilliant song, which I think sums up the album in a sort of roundabout way, its almost like the last gasp of angsty Muse, if like in my case your music player of choice then switches over to New Born and Origin'...

Great lyrics, nice chunky choruses and a beautiful solo and ending, 10/10

Guest jessychickin

Hate This and I'll Love You... 8/10 the very first time I heard this song I was absolutely speechless, I found everything to be absolutely stunning about the song.

It has the exact same effect on me now, saying I love it is an understatement :p

Archived