Progressive Song Discussion Thread

Aussie Muser

The point of the thread seems slightly redundant, but whatevs.

Sunburn is quite possibly the best song on Showbiz. I've only recently realized how brilliant it is, but it really is incredible. It was a great choice for a first track on the debut album, as I'm sure I would have been pulled in immediately if it was the first song I heard by them. I haven't heard many other songs with that kind of musical structure, I would have immediately recognized them as unique. The guitar solo is also fairly underrated; it's one of my favorite Muse solos.

10/10

To be fair, the Sunburn thread, Groove thread and the other appreciation thread weren't bumped until AFTER the thread was created but whatevs! :LOL:

Sunburn

Best song on Showbiz by far. Catchy piano riff, great bassline and one of Matt's best vocal performances, especially in the chorus. In the top 5 Muse songs, easily.

10/10

i know i've already spoke my mind about Sunburn, but:

+++1!

So what are people's favourite live performances of this song? I thought Hullabaloo's guitar version was pretty good. Also loved the Glasto version. Wonderful.

Recently they played the piano version at Adelaide entertainment centre. That was a really enjoyable one too.

Probably ranks as one of my most wanted live. Piano or guitar version. It just works so well live. Love it. :happy:

8.5/10

One of the good tracks on the album, I like the piano chords, gives an eerie feeling. Sounds like an OoS song, more complex than most of the songs on Showbiz, which is a good thing. I generally am not a huge fan of Showbiz, so this is one of the only good ones on it. Also I like the music video!

8.5/10

Sunburn is a really haunting, dark song and a great start to the muse discography.

I personally prefer the piano version to the guitar, it's weirdly more powerful.

My fave perfomance of it that i've seen has to be glasto '04. :happy:

I LOVE the song though, epic start to an epic album. :yesey:

I really like this song. Sunburn starts the album very well, and gives the idea of an alternative band. A man who can play very weel piano and guitar. Both versions are good, but i prefer the guitar one. On the other hand, i'm in love with the guitar + piano version live in Dundee in 2006. (

) Matt plays guitar and Morgan plays piano, to me it's the best perormance of the song, in fact maybe because it's closer to the studio version, but matt put all his pain in that version, pretty awsome :D

9/10 (hullabaloo version is epic! :awesome: )

Wow, musocuts, that Dundee one was pretty special! Loved it! thanks for that...

I think Sunburn is a great song to introduce new people to Muse because it highlights piano and guitar and represents everything early Muse stands for.

A few more days to talk about this track then onto Muscle Museum.

Oh, what do people think of the music video for this song too? I personaly think its the best one.

I think it's a great introduction to Muse and incorporates a lot of why we love them so much. The delicate, slowly building momentum throughout; the overdramatic and often ridiculous vocals; the eerie, post-apocalyptic soundscapes; the licks of individual instruments seeping through a vortex of sound.

All right, discussion seems to have died down about Sunburn at the moment. Time to move on i think.

What does everyone think of Muscle Museum? To be honest I don't really get the hype for this song. I love it and everything but some people out there think its the most awesome song out there. Personally, I can't see it. It has a simple bassline and the riff isn't as good as some of their other stuff. The vocals at the end are my favourite part of the song though when he uses the fuzz to make his voice more distorted and sound an octave higher than it actually is. As far as live performances go, I love the inprov on the guitar in between the first two verses at Glastonbury 2004.

Great song 8/10

Can I still say something about Sunburn?

I don't like the croaking sound in the live version.

I like the music video (it has something horror movie-ish, that's cool), but it's a bit slow. When I first watched it I got bored of watching the girl freak out (Seriously, how long can you stand there doing that?) and thought "Get her into the mirror already!"

Muscle Museum

Ah, the Tetris-y song. People seem to really like Muscle Museum and I don't really get it. I mean, it's not a bad song, but I think it's lacking something. Usually I'm not a fan of remixes, so I was surprised when I discovered the Soulwax remix and really liked it. I think it's better than the original. /blasphemy

The video is weird. And too American. But at least we got only whine, no cheese. ...Do you think I could get away with a "cheer up, emo kids"? No? Okay, then pretend I never wrote that.

And a question about this thread: When is it the B-sides' turn? Does it depend on the era they've been released in and after we've discussed an album the other songs from this era will be discussed?

Muscle Museum

To me, Muse are a band; bands make music; I therefore don't judge bands on their videos as they often have very little input.

Muscle Museum is brilliant from start to finish and I have long been trying to decide whether this or Sunburn is the best song on the album. Wonderful vocals with intense emotion and a haunting bassline mean it is one of the few songs that I (almost) never skip.

10/10

I also hate the croaking sound on sunburn seems to stand out too much from everything else.

Muscle Museum

Definately a very overrated song imo. A very good bass part but the riff is very annoying, bearable live but on the album annoying. The guitar in the verse is very good but ultimately the song redeems itself with the ending.

6/10

[Hidden=sunburn]

I think Sunburn is a great song, and one of my favorites on Showbiz. I agree that it's a good song to introduce people to Muse with. I especially like the way the song goes from a calm, quiet verse and explodes into a powerful chorus.

Music video: I like it. :happy: The end kinda creeps me out though :stunned:

8/10

Muscle Museum:

Awesome. I get that people might feel that it's overrated, but I really love it. At first, I thought that the guitar in the intro was a little annoying, but it doesn't really bother me anymore.

"Can you see that I am needing? Begging for so much more than you could ever give" is one of my favorite moment in any song. It's just so powerful. And I really love the last part with the distorted voice and stuff.

Music video: Eh. Is it supposed to have a deeper meaning or something? To me it just seems like a random collection of american suburban life and crying people.

Anyway, song gets 10/10

muscle museum- starts off quite dull, you sort of expect it to be a boring, angsty kind of song. Then you get that truly awesome guitar just before the chorus, followed by the chorus itself, which yes, is angsty, but in the most awesome, scream your heart out sort of way. then the absolute best part (for me) is the screaming towards the end of the song, cause its just so gut-wrenching and over the top and mad and brilliant. especially on the hullabaloo version which has so much more energy cuase its live, and Matt sounds like hes really going off it. showbiz Muse were not my favourite (although they have their moments of awesomeness, being so rebellious and crazy "HEY YOU CRAZY KIDS" etc.) cause theres something i find sort of "guilty pleasure" about such teenage-angst based songs, but muscle museum wins me over cuase the live versions are just so ANGRY that they give you energy just listening to them :D

8.5/10

6.5/10

Muscle Museum bores me to tears on some days, but on other days I can find it quite groovy. I don't generally rate most of Showbiz apart from Sunburn and the title track though, so MM is actually one of the better ones.

I love that version mentioned earlier - he just goes off with his screaming and everything!!!

This is my favourite though:

How do you make a link with text? So you click on the text and that is the link?

(URL="url goes here")text goes here(/URL)

[] instead of ()

Or

picture.php?albumid=2347&pictureid=25229

Sooo... do you think that's true with the pedal? They really can't recreate the sound without it? Or is Matt just being a bit pedantic about that and others wouldn't even notice that it sound's a bit different? If we found such a pedal and gave it to Matt, do you think he'd start playing the song again?

And how come we don't have a tinhat smiley on this board yet?

I love the bassline, I suppose for the fact it is so simple yet manages to stay memorable. We all know Chris can shred his bass or make melodic basslines, but seeing that he could make such a haunting, yet simple intro, was a sign that he was going to have a smashing career. As for the rest of the song, I'll admit, it can seem repetitive at some points, but Matt manages to liven it up with all his fuzz and voice octave effects. I hear a lot more hype about the Origin of Symmetry album (of which I can't disagree with) when I talk with my Muser friends, so I'm not sure where the idea of Muscle Musuem being overrated is from, but nonetheless, it's a groovy, and haunting song. I dig.

9/10

Archived