haze015

Could be but I don't hear much of a pitch shift.

I was thinking the same, but maybe he has it going through an effect in cubase or something as well. Can't tell what's on the screens in the video, unfortunately

For example, when he strikes the strings above the nut, he only does it once, but it sounds like three times. It doesn't sound like pitch bending to me... almost like delay

I don't know what effect it could be exactly... maybe a few different ones are used

So maybe something like

guitar > whammy > fuzz > audio interface > amp

The whammy would be hooked up to a MIDI interface for mode changes.

Going through the audio interface will allow you to use whatever effects in cubase, which can be switched on and off at different points in the song

...But that's just a guess.

For example, when he strikes the strings above the nut, he only does it once, but it sounds like three times. It doesn't sound like pitch bending to me... almost like delay

Yeah that's the stuttering effect I was talking about. It's used live too. I'm assuming it's just some DAW automated effect or whatever.

• 2 weeks later...

so iv ebeen playing it wrong then?.. for the very first part of the solo, ive been sliding from 1st frett to 19th, and then back up on my E-dropped-to-an-A string, then for high pitched parts after that i did 3rd frett harmonics on the A or D string whammy'd up one octave, then the slides again, then it's the Kaoss Pad part, then a slide from 19th to 1st on the dropped A string, then 3 fast consecutive strikes behind the nut, then slides and a Kaoss Pad part again, is this totally wrong?

so iv ebeen playing it wrong then?.. for the very first part of the solo, ive been sliding from 1st frett to 19th, and then back up on my E-dropped-to-an-A string, then for high pitched parts after that i did 3rd frett harmonics on the A or D string whammy'd up one octave, then the slides again, then it's the Kaoss Pad part, then a slide from 19th to 1st on the dropped A string, then 3 fast consecutive strikes behind the nut, then slides and a Kaoss Pad part again, is this totally wrong?

There's no kaoss pad in Unsustainable

Watch the Making Of Unsustainable video. You can see what Matt's playing there.

Also, as MFC already said, no kaoss pads were used (or harmed) in the recording of the song.

Well, this is what I play which for the most part seems accurate. At least going by the making of video (a couple of bits seem different live but it's the same note). Highlighted the main bits I'm unsure of in yellow, but they still sound ok

e--------------------------|-----------------------------|-----------------------|-------------------------------------------------

B-------------------------|------------------------------|-----------------------|-------------------------------------------------

G-------------------------|-----------------------------|------------------------|-------------------------------------------------

D-------------------------|------------------------------|-----------------------|-------------------------------------------------

A--12----------13-------|-0------0---12*------------|--12--------13-------|-13-13b-13b--13b-13b-13b--13b-13b--

E-------------------------|-------------------------------|-----------------------|-------------------------------------------------

e---------------------------------0-------0------------------------------------------------------------------

B--------------------------------0--------0------------------------------------------------------------------

G--------------------------------0--------0-----------------------------------------------------------------

D-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A--10*------------13--|--12------12-------|--12--------------13--|--12-12-12-12-12-12-12-12---

E--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can't do the whole strumming behind the nut thing on my guitar so yeah. That's what works with my MIDI file

cheers, very different from the (few) tabs ive found for it so far, so just to clarify, there's no Kaoss Pad in the two solos? If i have a whammy/octave pedal I can play this? (with MIDI?)

Nope, no kaoss in the drop as far as we can tell

I have a Whammy 5 which I control via MIDI with Logic. Still touching it up in places to get it as close to right as possible but I'll upload it somepoint. This is what it sounded like at first

[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/dickmovedom/midi-unsustainable-test[/soundcloud]

• 4 weeks later...