haze015

fml :D im probably stupid :D Im still looking for Matts heavy tone on my modelation AMP...

thanks anyway ;)

Matt's tone is quite mid-heavy, if that helps at all. I'm using a multi-effects pedal, and fuzz settings often work quite well, I find. What guitar/amp/pedals are you using?

When you guys say mid-heavy, are you talking about rolling the mid control up high? Because I've always found I've got best Matt tone by scooping the mids. Gives it that thick heaviness I know and love so well.

When I say mid-heavy i mean like distortion wise, however its very possibly that im using it incorrectly :|

When you guys say mid-heavy, are you talking about rolling the mid control up high? Because I've always found I've got best Matt tone by scooping the mids. Gives it that thick heaviness I know and love so well.

I'm just going on what I've heard from other people, the amp I'm using at the minute doesn't even have a mid control :facepalm:

I consider the mid knob to be like a time machine. The lesser the setting, the more modern the sound will be and the great the setting the more vintage. So really I like a setting of about 3/4 for Muse. Just above the metal range. Treble needs to be a decent level so it cuts through the mix so about 6/7 and bass helps to fill the sound so about 4/5. The gain isn't too high so have that around 6. He uses the bridge pick-up on Uprising with the tone at 10 and the volume is used at a gain controller.

A touch of reverb is always good, as well as a bit of compression as he uses an AC30 in the studio a lot. Phaser is set to a very slow setting. Perhaps a little bit of delay but nothing very noticeable.

Hope this helps

I consider the mid knob to be like a time machine. The lesser the setting, the more modern the sound will be and the great the setting the more vintage. So really I like a setting of about 3/4 for Muse. Just above the metal range. Treble needs to be a decent level so it cuts through the mix so about 6/7 and bass helps to fill the sound so about 4/5. The gain isn't too high so have that around 6. He uses the bridge pick-up on Uprising with the tone at 10 and the volume is used at a gain controller.

A touch of reverb is always good, as well as a bit of compression as he uses an AC30 in the studio a lot. Phaser is set to a very slow setting. Perhaps a little bit of delay but nothing very noticeable.

Hope this helps

hmm and what about high and low knobs ?

All true I'm sure, but I would find 3/4 mids too high for Muse. If you listen to the likes of the New Born riff when Matt plays it live, it sounds like the mids are really quite low.

Same for the majority of the Drop D riffs.

I always thought Matt boosts his mids with the MXR 6 band EQ for stuff like New Born riff, Plug In Baby riff, Stockholm Syndrome riff...basically for the melodic parts of songs, when guitar has to stand out from the mix.

+Matt always talks about boosting his mids, and from all his amp pictures that I've seen, the middle control seems to be pretty high up.

But, it's late and I'm tired, so chances are I'm just talking rubbish. :LOL:

I always thought Matt boosts his mids with the MXR 6 band EQ for stuff like New Born riff, Plug In Baby riff, Stockholm Syndrome riff...basically for the melodic parts of songs, when guitar has to stand out from the rest of the track.

+Matt always talks about boosting his mids, and from all his amp pictures that I've seen, the middle control seems to be pretty high up.

But, it's late and I'm tired, so chances are I'm just talking rubbish. :LOL:

Nah seems spot on :)

I'm thinking about professionalising my pedalboard for bass, and I'm not sure what to put, so perhaps you guys have some ideas?

E.g.: would I need something like the MXR or Sansamp Bass DI? Obviously octaver/drive/fuzz/chorus?

And what about compression? Would the Bass DI cover this?

Already got OC2 for octaver, Tech 21 Bass VT, Bass Big Muff and a Mammoth is on its way somewhere later this year. Any recommendations? Especially a nice drive pedal that doesn't completely alter my sound would be appreciated.

Also wondering about the LS2, how easy is it to make signal chains (and can they run at the same time?)

I know I'm probably better off on basschat, but thought I wanted to ask here first.

You need a chorus and an envelope follower too. I actually quite like the EHX Q-tron and similar pedals for envelope follower.

I'm not a big gay sell out who needs to replicate 80s tones so I've never bothered with chorus :p

The LS-2 is so useful, but it depends on what exactly you want to do. Some more complicated routing would require a customer peddle.

I know many, many people that swear by the Bass Driver DI for both recording and live. I haven't bothered with it because I'll be buying a tube amp soon which will happily deal with driven tones but for solid states it could be a look into. Most people will point out the midscoop and sometimes the lack of headroom. Also I'm not sure if it'll cover compression which leads me to...

Compression is a hard one to deal with. I've been looking for a compressor for bass but I don't know if many pedal compressors will do the trick. Someone here might be of more help.

I bought the EHX Bass Microsynth which I can use for an envelope filter even though it's not the most detailed filter you can get. MXR do a good envelope filter. :)

Chorus is another one I don't have much clue with. Look around perhaps?

Most of these will just come through trial and error and looking around at shops to shape your tone and go with your equipment.

EDIT: I use an MXR Phase 90 on bass for a subtle warble effect sometimes just to add a bit to the tone, just some ideas there.

EDIT 2: Digitech Whammy. So much awesome.

Edited by Crowella