I'm not a troll!

Don't get me wrong, Muse are pretty much all I listen too and Bellamy is a god. I've seen them live, front row standing and it was fucking incredible.

I'm not saying he isn't talented, but I have to be honest, as a guitar player myself, He is not that good a guitarist!

He does not play anything very technical and all their 'big hits' can be covered on the guitar quite simply.

Views?

EDIT:

I think the poorly chosen title is giving you people the wrong idea...

When I say he's not good, I mean stick him on his own, no singing, just sitting on a chair with his guitar and all he can play is very simple stuff. Now combine him with his voice, creativity, feeling and song writting and that is what makes him special. I dont been bad as in the music itself is bad.

And stop saying 1000 npm is not always good, I dint say fast did I? I have tried to learn Hotel California Solo, which is fairy slow yes? Its fucking impossible. Where as the Hysteria solo is like 10 mins practise and you know it.

To all you people disagreeing with me, some quotes from the man himself:

"but it's not difficult what I do"

"I tend to do things quite simple"

"Definitely technically I'n not very good at all"

I incase you still dont get it, I know this is not what makes him brilliant! It's just an observation..

look at nirvirna? most simplest songs in the world, will outlive most of muse stuff, it doesnt have to be technicle, as a guitar player myself i know what its like to enjoy a certain riff, or song just becuase its nice to play. people who start showing off tend to not go very far and then get aggresive at people. (this is not a backlash, just my personal opinion on yours)

OP, I understand what you're saying. I agree with you. You just can't come into a Muse forum and saying anything seemingly negative about Muse without having people immediately disagree. :p

He's definitely not bad. Above average even. But I'll admit I never really got why people hailed him as this guitar genius, because none of the riffs are that amazing. Good to listen to, yes. I'm not saying they're bad or that complexity is necessarily better! All we're saying is, from what he displays in his songs, Matt's guitar playing isn't that technically complex, since many people who have been playing 1 or 2 years could do it no problem. Not bad, just not complex! That's all.

Creativity is a different story, I definitely could not write music the way Matt does, but that's not what I'm talking about, just technical guitar playing.

muse songs have simple(ish) guitar riffs etc however they arent an accurate reflection of bells' skill as a guitarist, listen to bedroom acoustics. he's pretty damn good at flemenco guitar and as has been mentioned his creativity with actually writing the stuff he does is why he is considered on of the best guitarists of our time.

I'm not a troll!

And stop saying 1000 npm is not always good, I dint say fast did I? I have tried to learn Hotel California Solo, which is fairy slow yes? Its fucking impossible. Where as the Hysteria solo is like 10 mins practise and you know it.

Really? I know a lot of musicians, some of them are pretty good guitarists and they've struggled with Muse (not Hysteria, some other songs aren't as simple). And one guy I know is fairly average but he can play Hotel California relatively easily.

Just saying.

No:

1. One!

You say : "He does not play anything very technical and all their 'big hits' can be covered on the guitar quite simply."

And we said: "EVERY song by every band is coverable, the important thing is to compose"

So we win 1 point

2. Two!

Matt Bellamy IS NOT Muse, have you seen Matt Bellamy play guitar at his house or whatever? Nah you haven't, so how do you know he doesn't know how to play some metal riffs? No one knows!

Matt makes songs FOR MUSE that are suitable for live performances, he does two things, so he can't compose something speed metal because he wouldn't be able to sing and play at the same time.

We win 1 point again!

3. Three!

You say:

"Muse are pretty much all I listen too and Bellamy is a god. I've seen them live, front row standing and it was fucking incredible."

You win 1 point! We are talking about the same thing!

4. Four!

You say: "I'm not saying he isn't talented, but I have to be honest, as a guitar player myself, He is not that good a guitarist!"

Yeah what a bad opinion you have, already said that we're saying about covers!

We win 1 point!

So you won one point for saying Matt is god, and we win 3 because we aren't talking the same!

3-1 WE WIN!

MUSERS---------> 3 (millon :awesome:)

PESSIMIST GUY SAYING HE'S NOT A TROLL BUT HE IS1(000000000001)

im getting a bit tired of this thread....

i'm getting f:rolleyes: tired of this thread too...

MUSERS---------> 3 (millon :awesome:)

PESSIMIST GUY SAYING HE'S NOT A TROLL BUT HE IS1(000000000001)

YOUUUUU WILL NOT FOOOOORCEEEE USSS!!!

YOU WILL STOP DEGRADING MATT's skills!!!!

YOU WILL NOT CONTROOOOLLL USSSS!!!

WEEEE WILL BE VICTOOOOORIOUSSSS

(cuz we 3- and you one (really fast))

you really dont know muse fans... or do you? we can sneak into your house to see how good YOU play the guitar... and make a thread saying '''(whatever your name is) is not THAT good at guitar'':ninja: well... im just saying this thread is worthless..

The past few posts have made me feel the need to repeat my :rolleyes: at least 10 times over.

You guys are missing the point. And even so, can't you take a bit of criticism? Jeez. It's not like the thread starter is bashing Muse anyway, they're just expressing an opinion. No one said Muse or Matt was bad, just that the given riffs are not terribly complex or difficult to manage, which again, isn't necessarily bad.

Guest Octazooka
I'm not a troll!

Don't get me wrong, Muse are pretty much all I listen too and Bellamy is a god. I've seen them live, front row standing and it was fucking incredible.

I'm not saying he isn't talented, but I have to be honest, as a guitar player myself, He is not that good a guitarist!

He does not play anything very technical and all their 'big hits' can be covered on the guitar quite simply.

Views?

EDIT:

I think the poorly chosen title is giving you people the wrong idea...

When I say he's not good, I mean stick him on his own, no singing, just sitting on a chair with his guitar and all he can play is very simple stuff. Now combine him with his voice, creativity, feeling and song writting and that is what makes him special. I dont been bad as in the music itself is bad.

To all you people disagreeing with me, some quotes from the man himself:

"but it's not difficult what I do"

"I tend to do things quite simple"

"Definitely technically I'n not very good at all"

I incase you still dont get it, I know this is not what makes him brilliant! It's just an observation..

:eek:

I fear for you, my friend...Prepare to get slimed by the PMTers...in 3,2..

Actually I don't remember seeing a thread quite as defensive as this before. :shifty: This board usually appears to display more bashing than adulation, to me anyway.

Perhaps if the OP had named the thread "Matt Bellamy's guitar skills" and then made the point he wanted in make in his post, he would have received a different reaction.

I just accept what Matt says himself that his guitar playing isn't particularly advanced technically, though he was commenting on the description "genius", but it certainly looks and sounds fantastic, and I think creatively he's very special, up with the greats.:)

Tbh, what we've seen him play isn't all that advanced, but we haven't seen him play the best he possibly can, therefore we don't know. He wouldn't just show off with superhard guitar skills in songs as he has to perform them live, sing, and dance and prance around the stage like the man does, and maybe something really advanced wouldn't fit the mood of the song or whatever. Also, the simple riffs are the ones people remember and most of the time sound better and are most effective.

Archived