yes they may be easy to replicate but could you have made the guitar riff for map of the problematique on your own? i know i couldnt, matt never has been about having the best or fastest solos, exept for maybe invincible.. which he absolutely nails live everytime by the way, but the perfect guiar riff for a song isnt always the most insane riff or most technical peice of wonder... its not ability that defines someone as a guitarist, its their creativity, and matt has it in buckets

:LOL:

You know what I really love about Matt's guitar playing? He plays it almost as though its a part of him, like its an extra limb or something. Lol.

This isn't a reaction to anything btw, I just felt like saying it. :happy:

Yeah, "extra limb" is one of the most correct definitions, imho.

I was thinking about it a couple of days ago, while watching some old stuff ^^

Yeah, "extra limb" is one of the most correct definitions, imho.

I was thinking about it a couple of days ago, while watching some old stuff ^^

I believe I was watching HAARP when I noticed that. Sometimes it just looks like it would be completely unnatural for the guitar to be separate from him, if you get my drift. Of course, that has nothing to do with technical skill, but I do think it's the main reason why people really notice him as a guitarist.

I believe I was watching HAARP when I noticed that. Sometimes it just looks like it would be completely unnatural for the guitar to be separate from him, if you get my drift. Of course, that has nothing to do with technical skill, but I do think it's the main reason why people really notice him as a guitarist.

I actually think the same. It's (almost) all in the naturalness and confidence of his playing.

I understand what you mean thread starter guy, and I agree; Matt Bellamy is not a great technical guitarist However, what makes him so special is that he finds a way to distinguish himself from the crowd and make his music sound good without having to be be technical, and that is the beauty of Matt Bellamy :) He is an excellent songwriter.

I understand what you mean thread starter guy, and I agree; Matt Bellamy is not a great technical guitarist However, what makes him so special is that he finds a way to distinguish himself from the crowd and make his music sound good without having to be be technical, and that is the beauty of Matt Bellamy :) He is an excellent songwriter.

/end thread

You know what I really love about Matt's guitar playing? He plays it almost as though its a part of him, like its an extra limb or something. Lol.

This isn't a reaction to anything btw, I just felt like saying it. :happy:

A 6th limb, then?

• 4 months later...

Matt doesn't play in a band called The Matt Bellamy Experience, so maybe of course not all of his songs are crazy solos; he's not a blatant "LOOK AT MY FINGERS, I'M SO GOOD" ridiculous death metal guitar player.

Also, he probably knows himself most of fast senseless melodies in his band's music would sound like shit. But watch him play live.

Watch HAARP or Glastonbury 2004; he plays it fluently, he jumps around playing it, he shreds chord progressions while doing all those dynamic vocals.

So you obviously can have your opinion, and I respect it completely; but it would be quite weird if someone obsessed with music who is now 32 in a week that has been playing since age 14 can't play all those studioforce solos.

You are fucking stupid. It's not about how technical it is but the fucking tone he creates. It's unique and damn near impossible to recreate. Are you in any way musically inclined because if so you'd know his music is quite technical and hard as hell to do.

Dumbass.

k, i see your point in that he's not had formal lessons for years, doesn't know every musical scale, be it C major or F# melodic minor, and that he can't play technical Spanish guitar like Dragonforce x10,000, but that's one's own technical standards. Who says guitar has to be played that way? By Tom Morello's standards, Matt Bellamy's extremely well-versed in guitar.

Music can either be a) technical or b) emotional, and Matt himself has said that music is more emotional for people than it is technical. So maybe by your standards, if you prefer your music to be technical, he's not that good at guitar, but by others' standards, such as mine, if we prefer ours to be emotional, he's freakin' amazing.

imo, you should know what you're doing with your music and notes, but you still gotta make it like you mean it. I mean, music's null if it's without feeling. because then, it's not music; it's varying pitches, rhythms, dynamics, and timbres put together, and that's that.

what is this fuckery?

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I agree with what everyone else has been saying -- being an incredible musician goes so far beyond being a "technically" good player. That's not what creates the power or the beauty of the music. You've gotta feel it, love it, and essentially be it... which Matt clearly does (and then some). Just look at that man perform live. You can just see that he's doing exactly what he wants and was meant to do. (Not to mention his skills go way beyond playing the guitar... he's an incredible singer and over-all performer as well! And while his playing may not be "technically difficult", he's really creative and innovative with the sounds he's able to make!)

Plus (also as others have been mentioning) people sometimes forget that Muse is not made up of just Matt. He's not gonna just write crazy, intense guitar stuff for himself and go "zOMG look at meeee!". They find a really great balance in their songs so that Matt, Chris, and Dom are all able to blend their music together and really showcase what artists all off them truly are.

I'm sorry that ended up so long and I'm sorry if it was rambling or made zero sense. I'm kind of half-asleep at the moment :LOL:

In conclusion... :matt::musesign::awesome:

I'm not a troll!

Don't get me wrong, Muse are pretty much all I listen too and Bellamy is a god. I've seen them live, front row standing and it was fucking incredible.

I'm not saying he isn't talented, but I have to be honest, as a guitar player myself, He is not that good a guitarist!

He does not play anything very technical and all their 'big hits' can be covered on the guitar quite simply.

Views?

EDIT:

I think the poorly chosen title is giving you people the wrong idea...

When I say he's not good, I mean stick him on his own, no singing, just sitting on a chair with his guitar and all he can play is very simple stuff. Now combine him with his voice, creativity, feeling and song writting and that is what makes him special. I dont been bad as in the music itself is bad.

And stop saying 1000 npm is not always good, I dint say fast did I? I have tried to learn Hotel California Solo, which is fairy slow yes? Its fucking impossible. Where as the Hysteria solo is like 10 mins practise and you know it.

To all you people disagreeing with me, some quotes from the man himself:

"but it's not difficult what I do"

"I tend to do things quite simple"

"Definitely technically I'n not very good at all"

I incase you still dont get it, I know this is not what makes him brilliant! It's just an observation..

fishfail.jpg

Technical skill is just a tool. Just because a musician is technically proficient does not mean their music is universally good. For example, I hate Steve Vai even though he’s incredibly skilled, his music has no emotional impact on me whatsoever.

Also, music is totally subjective and based on emotion and subconscious workings of the mind. When you find a song catchy or enjoyable it is not a conscious decision. No one should be made to feel guilty or unintelligent for liking a certain song.

To all you people disagreeing with me, some quotes from the man himself:

"but it's not difficult what I do"

"I tend to do things quite simple"

"Definitely technically I'n not very good at all"

Matt Bellamy is sometimes too humble for his own good. What he's saying is it's not difficult for *him*. For us normal humans, it's frequently all but impossible.

I get what you're trying to say, but I think *maybe* the issue is that you and your brother are more accomplished at guitar than you think you are. By no means am I proficient at guitar, but I know enough to know what he's doing is *not* easy. If it's easy for you, then it sounds like you're pretty #<%€\! amazing at guitar yourself.

Needless to say, I disagree with your assertions. ;)

Archived