k, i see your point in that he's not had formal lessons for years, doesn't know every musical scale, be it C major or F# melodic minor, and that he can't play technical Spanish guitar like Dragonforce x10,000, but that's one's own technical standards. Who says guitar has to be played that way? By Tom Morello's standards, Matt Bellamy's extremely well-versed in guitar.

Music can either be a) technical or b) emotional, and Matt himself has said that music is more emotional for people than it is technical. So maybe by your standards, if you prefer your music to be technical, he's not that good at guitar, but by others' standards, such as mine, if we prefer ours to be emotional, he's freakin' amazing.

imo, you should know what you're doing with your music and notes, but you still gotta make it like you mean it. I mean, music's null if it's without feeling. because then, it's not music; it's varying pitches, rhythms, dynamics, and timbres put together, and that's that.

Fuck off - dragonforce are horse shit mixed with pigs piss compared to muse :mad: also this is a MUSE message board so you are going nowhere when there are a few hundred muse enthusiasts online :p

WRONG.

Matt is very modest, and doesn't show off. He is fucking amazing, don't underestimate anything he does.

Expect to get horrible comments, because, posting THIS on a forum that bows down to the holy face of Muse and all its members, deserves a bit of verbal abuse. Think before you say certain things.

A 6th limb, then?

:facepalm::LOL:

And the PMT takes over the thread!

Yeah! PMT ftw! :LOL:

fishfail.jpg

:eek: It's awful!!! Poor fish! (Um... which one?!.. :LOL: )

This thread is still alive?

Yes Allison, it is! *sigh*

But at least some posts are fun!

WRONG.

Matt is very modest, and doesn't show off. He is fucking amazing, don't underestimate anything he does.

Expect to get horrible comments, because, posting THIS on a forum that bows down to the holy face of Muse and all its members, deserves a bit of verbal abuse. Think before you say certain things.

And you're only 11. Respect. :happy:

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

yea iv seen about a million videos of matt shredding and it's very clear he is waaaay above average,..just cuz their songs aren't full of minute long solos mean matt is an avrg guitarist,..cmon he is able to play recurdos de la alhambra..that song is incredibly hard,.just look it up on the u tube..

I think that he is really skilled but he just doesn't try and fancy up all of his songs..he's a musical genious and he knows how to manipulate the guitar and make simple but amaaazing sounding things...just because he isnt all shredding and sweeping doesn't mean he's not good...and you know he can to all the technical stuff because there are a few songs where he does amazing things..he just chooses to kep it sweet and simple :matt:

• 1 month later...

I'm sorry but I completely disagree with you! I think he's a great guitarist. By no means do you have to play complicated and 'technical' riffs and solos to be a good guitarist. The simples ones are probably the best. And also I'd get seriously frustrated if I loved a song and wanted to learn it on guitar and I couldn't because I didn't have the right amount of skill. It'd drive me mental. Just for him to think of the stuff he does is all together something amazing, to copy what someone else wrote and writing your own songs are completely different ball games. Writing songs is so much harder. He is an extremely talented man and a brilliant guitarist. I've only learnt 2 Muse songs on guitar, Uprising and Plug In Baby, I'm having a tough time with how fast the intro to Plug In Baby is but I'll manage. ;) That was a bit silly to diss Matt on a Muse forum.

Genuinely not trying to be negative for the sake of it but...coming top of stuff like that is fairly meaningless considering another guitar magazine might vote for someone else. It's very subjective. It's also subjective whether or not the contributors of magazines are able to make the best judgement.

But if it's not a reader poll I suppose it has more meaning than the NME polls that everyone rigs.

i agree to an EXTENT of this.

How he comes up with these solos and how he plays it perfectly is incredible, but many many muse songs are extremely easy to learn on a guitar.

I do think he is the best guitarist around these days.

You have some balls to post this thread!

Genuinely not trying to be negative for the sake of it but...coming top of stuff like that is fairly meaningless considering another guitar magazine might vote for someone else. It's very subjective. It's also subjective whether or not the contributors of magazines are able to make the best judgement.

But if it's not a reader poll I suppose it has more meaning than the NME polls that everyone rigs.

+1

Yeah! PMT ftw! :LOL:

PMT :LOL::p

• 1 month later...

I'd say Matt is a VERY talented clapper. Sure, maybe he doesn't have the technical clappage of the greats like The Wiggles (what do you fucking expect?), but honestly, who cares? It's the emotion he puts in each clap and fist pump that's important. I'm happy to see Muse doing the right thing by incorporating more clapping in the liver performances. In the studio, the claps sound utter shite, but it really shines live, so thats good I guess.

• 3 months later...

It's not really a troll thread though, is it....

And I would say, apart from what are, in my opinion, muse's worst songs, the solo's etc. tend to be to create a mood rather than anything else. the robot feel of Plug In Baby or the paranoic feel in Hysteria.

Playing the guitar is just a skill anyone can master w/practice but it takes ingenuity to create the kind of music you hear on any of the MUSE albums. Whatever instrument Matt plays, whether it's the guitar, piano or his voice, he uses it as if it's an extension of his soul. You can hear it in his voice and see it in his expression on stage. He's a BRILLIANT musician! :)

Playing the guitar is just a skill anyone can master w/practice but it takes ingenuity to create the kind of music you hear on any of the MUSE albums. Whatever instrument Matt plays, whether it's the guitar, piano or his voice, he uses it as if it's an extension of his soul. You can hear it in his voice and see it in his expression on stage. He's a BRILLIANT musician! :)

This! Thank you!

Archived