yea iv seen about a million videos of matt shredding and it's very clear he is waaaay above average,..just cuz their songs aren't full of minute long solos mean matt is an avrg guitarist,..cmon he is able to play recurdos de la alhambra..that song is incredibly hard,.just look it up on the u tube..

+1 :yesey:

He's pretty good, but he does not really show much of his skills. New born solo isn't hard at all, just tapping and quick movements of your fretting hand. I consider Bedroom Acoustics pretty hard. And theory wise, matt is genius. Just look at Space Dementia, it has over 20 fucking chords.

i have to agree matt is capable of much better things but because muse have gone more "soft" or whatever he chooses not to play the harder songs but the ones with more well known and catchy riffs.

it's his own choice at the end of the day, he can appeal to the masses, or appeal to himself.

and compared to pre-bhar days, i don't think matt knows the difference anymore.

Is it really all about the: "Look ma I can play guitar without my hands" deal today?

I don't think that if you can shred solos a-la-Petrucci that you are actually considered "good" or "excellent". The reason being that in today's world, skills aren't everything. It's the complete piece together that makes it worth listening to. It's the teamwork in the music, the meaning behind it, the sound and also its simplicity that makes it unique.

I'm tired of 7 minute guitars solos on stage that are showing me what? That you can play guitar? Good, now move over and let me listen to something that has deeper meaning.

Just my opinion...

Matt might not be a petrucci-guit-player, but he certainly knows how to attract attention with deep meaning music. As far as their last album goes...

But this comes from someone who can't play guitar... But has wicked visual art techniques, keen ear sense and uses music as a source of inspiration...

Bellamy actually is not very good technically, in that respect is overrated, pretty much like The Edge. You don't have to be a genious to see that.

That technically good players have no feeling in their songs is another very spouted thing by ignorant Bellamy wannabies:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCCOrMarx8I

Some other:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLJWIV7FF84

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ES1RypBww_g

Buckethead, Petrucci and Frusciante. All three are great technically, and all three are showing so much emotion and soul in their playing.

It's a lame excuse that all these technical players don't have a soul while playing.

It's not about saying they don't have a soul, it's about appreciating simplicity in non-tech players.

:)

And the constant bashing in this thread on guitarists who can shred like crazy is not used to defend Matt?

In my opinion, I feel like we shouldn't compare non-tech with tech guys...

It's like saying oranges are better then clementines...

There should be a justified middle.

In my opinion, I feel like we shouldn't compare non-tech with tech guys...

It's like saying oranges are better then clementines...

There should be a justified middle.

I judge guitarist by skill, creativity, feeling and what it makes ME feel.

I rate Frusciante a lot higher than Matt, but Matt still has some of my favorite guitar moments, with Showbiz, Darkshines and Screenager.

Archived