I dont know about when you get pulled out of the barrier but whenever Ive crowdsurfed Ive been let back into the crowd at the side of the stage, so in the corner of the crowd. It would be nigh on impossible to get back to the barrier. This might differ with the golden circle thing but I dont see why it should.

Hm, I may have to re-think where I will stand then. Maybe Matt's side of the pit would be a bit too crazy for a first timer.....? This will be my last concert of the year so I don't want to ruin it.

I definitely wouldn't expect to get back on the barrier. Thanks for the help :awesome:

Now I'm just trying to decide where to stand :p

I'm going to try and get towards the front, but not barrier. Don't think I can handle that.

Actually if you are small the barrier is better as you have nobody blocking your view and you get plenty of fresh air instead of a few rows back when you are stuck with people all around you and you have chances of taller people than you blocking your view.

You breath in relatively fresh air instead of smelling other peoples armpits and you get first pick of the water.

I usually drift between drinking and bands so Im not really dehydrated and having been covered in piss at gigs before Muse gigs seem like roses. Id rather be in a crowd =/

I usually drift between drinking and bands so Im not really dehydrated and having been covered in piss at gigs before Muse gigs seem like roses. Id rather be in a crowd =/

Each to their own. I want to be at the front and my back hurts if I stand too long, so if I'm at the barrier I've got something to hold on to.

Although with the stadium stage it sucked because it's too high and Chris and Morgan were invisible for me, and only saw a tiny bit of Dom .

Each to their own. I want to be at the front and my back hurts if I stand too long, so if I'm at the barrier I've got something to hold on to.

Although with the stadium stage it sucked because it's too high and Chris and Morgan were invisible for me, and only saw a tiny bit of Dom .

oh yeah I wasnt saying its wrong to be at the barrier or anything. I just think I'd panic if I couldnt move. People can do what they like to me as long as I can move.

oh yeah I wasnt saying its wrong to be at the barrier or anything. I just think I'd panic if I couldnt move. People can do what they like to me as long as I can move.

That really depends from gig to gig. Glasgow was an awfully rough crowd but at Goffertpak I didn't even need to hold on to the barrier to be able to say in the place, or push people with my bum to be able to breath.

Okay I was at the barrier for Glastonbury, and the mosh was pretty big where I was. Lots of people being taken out, I saw people faint, I know of someone who broke 2 ribs and a hip there.

But you have to be pretty unlucky for that, plus it's more dangerous if you're a few rows back from the barrier because people are all around you. Also, there was a bigger crowd at Glastonbury and a fair few drunk people.

Being at the barrier, I could get air, I had no one in front of me, I could lean into the barrier and push back a little bit every so often so I could have a tiny bit of space. I did have some guy digging his elbow into my neck at times, I don't think he heard what I said quite loudly to him, but I kept leaning back to push him off and he stopped in the end, haha.

I came away with slightly bruised arms and rather bruised hips but it wasn't really awful or anything, I thought I'd get hurt more because I'm about 5 foot 4 inches tall and quite a slim build, but it was okay.

I loved every minute of the barrier, I thought it was great fun and rather hilarious at times :')

I think you're best to be at the barrier rather than a few rows back from the barrier, but that's only me judging from being at the barrier for Glastonbury. I was at the barrier for Seasick Steve, The Dead Weather, Shakira, Scissor Sisters and Muse, it was okay for those acts up until Scissor Sisters finished, when there was probably a mad rush of people coming to see Muse, and that's when people started to get crushed, and some people hurt. It was like it all through Muse's set, but I have to say, after the initial 10 minutes of thinking "dhsfohd ouch, fdosdhsahd why can't people back off a bit? fishdfsfsdaf let's start singing any random songs that come into our heads to get others to join in (which they did) and have a laugh" you get used to it and it all got funny.

I've never been to the barrier at one of Muse's own concerts before so I don't know how different or similar it is there.

Wow I just wrote a boring essay. I'll be waiting for all the "cool story bro" responses now :LOL: <3

That really depends from gig to gig. Glasgow was an awfully rough crowd but at Goffertpak I didn't even need to hold on to the barrier to be able to say in the place, or push people with my bum to be able to breath.

Id never get there early enough anyway. And Im not the sort of idiot who takes people off the barrier.

I found the barrier at Teignmouth to be a bit rough :LOL:.

My arms were covered in bruises and security had to ask if I was ok because I was being pushed so hard I couldn't breath.

I just elbowed everyone and held on for life. I didn't arrive at 5:30am (first group there :awesome:) and leg it across the Den for some moron to drag me away.

America was a doss compared to other gigs lol noone laid a hand on me. Oo-er. That said, the crowd was pretty tame so I didn't expect any hassle.

Real quick, when/if you get pulled out of the pit, where do you go from there? (unless your feeling like your about to faint)

When I was pulled out cos of the breathing issues they asked me if I was ok and I felt much better so said yes and they just let you rejoin the crowd. You're not treated like a crowdsufer (sometimes those get kicked out of the gig completely.)

Another time I was pulled out was at a festival so I didn't lose my friend who had been pulled out after having an asthma attack. So I had to go to the hospital tent to find her!

That's a perfect example of arsehole dudes thinking girls are weak and easy to pick off the barrier actually. Some guy pretended to be near death and I swear he deliberately picked where we were to barge to the barrier and demand water but of course five minutes later he was on the phone bragging that he was at the front for Muse with no hint he was going to faint :rolleyes:

Also there was a teenage boy behind us who was pulling our hair/bits of our body, crushing us more than was necessary and kept putting his hand on the barrier so it was obvious what he was up to. As soon as I was pulled out he of course rushed forward with a look of glee. I kicked him in the face on purpose. Not my proudest moment but hey, I wasn't the one acting like a douche all afternoon!

not at all. if youre worried stay in the middle instead of barrier rushing.

I've always found the middle worse than the barrier. At least with the barrier I can lean on it to stay up right and also it gives you something to push against to stop people crushing you too much. In the middle (cos I'm short) it can turn into being completely surrounded with a feeling of being trapped!

I think from my experience if you're not sure of the barrier being a couple of rows back but to one side where people don't mosh quite as hard is better. Unless that's what you meant?

I've always found the middle worse than the barrier. At least with the barrier I can lean on it to stay up right and also it gives you something to push against to stop people crushing you too much. In the middle (cos I'm short) it can turn into being completely surrounded with a feeling of being trapped!

I think from my experience if you're not sure of the barrier being a couple of rows back but to one side where people don't mosh quite as hard is better. Unless that's what you meant?

I was thinking more further back than the middle, where the crowd starts to thin a little and you get people stood watching rather than moshing etc. But your suggestion is probably better, near the front but to one side.

edit: I make a habit of crowd surfing. Ive only been thrown out once, and I was CLEARLY wasted, had Bellamy Bliss hair and no top, and it was a gig with a tame crowd. I was thrown out the third time I crowd surfed that night. I think they are usually quite well tolerated and if thrown out its usually your own fault. But we are manhandled quite abit.

Edited by dontask

When I was pulled out cos of the breathing issues they asked me if I was ok and I felt much better so said yes and they just let you rejoin the crowd. You're not treated like a crowdsufer (sometimes those get kicked out of the gig completely.)

Another time I was pulled out was at a festival so I didn't lose my friend who had been pulled out after having an asthma attack. So I had to go to the hospital tent to find her!

That's a perfect example of arsehole dudes thinking girls are weak and easy to pick off the barrier actually. Some guy pretended to be near death and I swear he deliberately picked where we were to barge to the barrier and demand water but of course five minutes later he was on the phone bragging that he was at the front for Muse with no hint he was going to faint :rolleyes:

Also there was a teenage boy behind us who was pulling our hair/bits of our body, crushing us more than was necessary and kept putting his hand on the barrier so it was obvious what he was up to. As soon as I was pulled out he of course rushed forward with a look of glee. I kicked him in the face on purpose. Not my proudest moment but hey, I wasn't the one acting like a douche all afternoon!

:chuckle:

Thanks for the info! :)

Hopefully the crowd I will be in will (hopefully) not be full of douche bags :p

(of course I'm probably bound to run into at least one at the concert)

I feel more prepared thanks to this thread, hopefully I'll be a bit taller than most younger girls so I wont be the first person to try and be pushed of the barrier :rolleyes:

The first 10 mins are always the worst. The crowd surge can be unbelieveable at times.

My first gig I went to was the cribs and stupidly went 2 rows from the front. Was suprised at how rough it was but then you forget about it and have a good time.

I would suggest to kinda hang around the edges a bit, then if you feel more confident move in further. Dont worry though, you hear some really bad stories but its not that bad believe me and the people around you will help you out if you get into any sort of trouble (well...i know i would)

I found the barrier at Teignmouth to be a bit rough :LOL:.

My arms were covered in bruises and security had to ask if I was ok because I was being pushed so hard I couldn't breath.

I just elbowed everyone and held on for life. I didn't arrive at 5:30am (first group there :awesome:) and leg it across the Den for some moron to drag me away.

America was a doss compared to other gigs lol noone laid a hand on me. Oo-er. That said, the crowd was pretty tame so I didn't expect any hassle.

This. Same thing happend to me. It was my first ever gig, so I was not expecting anything like that. :p And as I was just a couple of weeks short of my 14th birthday, I wasn't very physically strong (still not), but I managed to keep my place at centre barrier.

Anyone think it will be that rough at Wembley? I have GA tickets, and aiming for barrier again...

• 4 weeks later...

My GA top tips:

1. Don't be that guy/girl that has a backpack on their back. Nobody likes that person.

2. Everyone is getting pushed, but that doesn't give you the right to jump into people's back when you have enough space to rock out without smashing into others. I will hit you.

3. No. I can't give you anymore room. There are a few thousand people who would like some more room. Deal with it.

4. Sing in tune.

5. Boyfriends; Don't complain that i'm being pushed up against your girlfriend. There is nothing I can do about it. I know you feel like you need to assert your dominance in front of your girlfriend, but stop it.

6. Single girls; If I make polite conversation whilst being pressed up against a personal place then I am trying to make it a little less awkward, not come on to you. Unless you want me to, in which case that's cool too.

I've heard MANY horror stories from people being crushed on the barrier. When Rage Against the Machine played their second song at Download this year (People of the sun) a couple of people were seriously badly hurt. A girl was crushed by her neck up to the barrier and had to be given CPR. So make sure you realise what you're getting into, I know that story is RATM at a bigger venue... But Muse at Wembley is a big deal for many people, you could be the one with the idiots behind you. This thread is full of great advice so listen to it and you will be fine :)

I've been to a lot of gigs and have a lot still coming up this year, but I'll be targetting a bit fairly close to the middle/front and a bit to the side. You get enough space there and the crowd should be active enough to jump around. I really don't understand the obsession with getting there at stupid o' clock and running to the barrier, I really don't. You get to see the band close up, but also risk broken ribs and being kicked in the face and you have to stand up for hours.

Another tip, if everyone is jumping around you and it's quite packed, put your free hand on your friend's shoulder. It makes it easier to stay together and prevents elbows.

Going to the side a bit at the front always works. The first time I went right in the middle was for a Kasabian gig and I got completely outmuscled, squashed and retched because I couldn't breathe :(

Seeing Muse in at the BDO three rows back was fine though apart from the awful dickheads' out of tune singing.

EDIT: The bad experience was more of a being dehydrated thing though tbh.

Edited by occer

My GA top tips:

1. Don't be that guy/girl that has a backpack on their back. Nobody likes that person.

2. Everyone is getting pushed, but that doesn't give you the right to jump into people's back when you have enough space to rock out without smashing into others. I will hit you.

3. No. I can't give you anymore room. There are a few thousand people who would like some more room. Deal with it.

4. Sing in tune.

5. Boyfriends; Don't complain that i'm being pushed up against your girlfriend. There is nothing I can do about it. I know you feel like you need to assert your dominance in front of your girlfriend, but stop it.

6. Single girls; If I make polite conversation whilst being pressed up against a personal place then I am trying to make it a little less awkward, not come on to you. Unless you want me to, in which case that's cool too.

Classic tips, love this :LOL:

My sister and I are going to be going to the 1st night in the Staples center. This is actually going to be our first Muse concert and our very first time being in GA for any concert. Both of us are average height. Should we stay towards the middle, or the front? We want to be able to see well be we don't want to get crushed. What do you guys recommend?