stuartrushforth

lol! i wouldnt have said you were being a dick in the first place! :LOL:

i totally get your point, and im just doing research into a guitar project now. I've loads of ideas, just need to finalise them. Its starting to look like ill put in a kaoss pad instead. but at the moment, im just trying to find out something about pickups. Basically, if i have a tele body with no pickup holes cut, instead of doing the standard tele setup, could i drill/install 3 humbuckers instead? there is a tele that has 3 humbuckers, but its like $2000.

edit: appreciate your opinion/advice, scottst by the way.

it's no problem :) just call me scott, everyone else does, heh

Yes you probably could, but again its something if it were me i'd fire it off to a proper luthier (thats unless you are one, in which case i apologise) to get it done. John 5's signature tele has them though, i guess, as does the Ace Frehley signature les pauls and the gibson/epiphone black beauties. never used one of those before tbh, so no idea how it would sound.

But a good idea may be to save up and get Sims to do it - have a search on the board for Sims custom shop, theres a guy who had a mattocaster body made by them and it was actually fucking gorgeous - worth a look if you want a decent guitar i reckon, they'd sort it out for three humbuckers aswell i'd imagine.

edit: http://simscustom.com/images/gallery/2007/bodies/large/09.jpg theres that MOC body shape from sims, belongs to someone on here, this is the thread http://board.muse.mu/showthread.php?t=48959&highlight=sims+mattocaster

Again with the kaoss pad, its all a bit of a novelty really. However, if you could get it done in the MIDI way as opposed to the whole Phils Mod way with the screen removal and that, then you'd probably win ultimate props from every muse nerd in the world :p and that stuff on doepfer etc would be the way to achieve that.

erm...with a perspex body/cavity, and routing for 3 humbuckers and a KP, am I right in saying that the only wood on the guitar will be the back and sides?! :eek: That will sound atrocious! Not to mention how you're gonna mount the bridge: there's a lot of tension there, and I can't imagine that a cm of perspex will hold that! It could very easily just start to warp, which would mean buying a whole new top for the guitar if it does!

Tbh, if you're putting it into the guitar just because it "looks good" then you probably haven't seriously thought it through, or else you have a lot of money to waste!

it would be the latter of those guesses.... :LOL:

my perspex idea is kinda like what you said. there'd be wood around the pickups, to support them, but yeah, apart from the sides and back, it would basically be one big cavity, but, lined with a cut up motherboard and loads of cool leds etc. if it turns out how it looks in my head, i think you might be impressed. work starts in mid-may, and ill be starting a blog and a thread to follow my progress. when it gets a bit closer, ill start taking proper serious suggestions for things to put in. right now, im just not.

thanks for your opinion though. and i think you might be right about whether it'll warp and/or be even strong enough to support a kp. ill have to look into that. cheers.

oh, yeah I thought it was you who was talking about the motherboard idea :) well if you're going to put a board in, then it doesn't matter how much you've routed out underneath that, so really, you can leave a fair bit of wood in if you do it right. Are you talking about mounting a fully populated board in, or were you gonna take all the components out but add a few LEDs? If you're doing an un-populated board, then the depth should only be a little thicker than a standard pickguard. In which case, you could easily just get a shallow profile body, and with the extra board and perspex on top, it would probably be the same depth as a regular body!

If you really wanted the perspex to be flush with the body, there's always the possibility of using binding to create the same feel, although that may be tricky to do well. I would try and conserve as much wood as you can, and so if you're definitely taknig away wood for the perspex/motherboard top, only route to as low as you need to go down. With the LEDs, you could try and create a "cutaway" in the perspex so that they take up less body depth. I wonder if you can get low profile LEDs? the 3mm ones are quite small anyway, so it'd be worth looking at them!

yeah, you've totally got the idea.

Hopefuly, ill only have to route a little bit off the top. like, a simple led circuit is tiny. i was actually thinking of NOT putting the led circuit on an actual circuit board. that way, i could easilly stick them to the mb (superglue ftw), so they wont take away from the actual coolness of the mb also, it would be designed such that whatever is in the big perspexy cavity (called perspexy cos the window material is still debatable) is kinda meant to look like a mess of circuits and such. Obviously with the mb, ill have to take off certain things like big processor fans etc. But id like to leave as much as i could. im off on a holiday next week, but when i get back, ill upload some concept sketches and it might give you a better idea.

my actual concept behind it came from me asking myself one day "why bother with cavity covers; what are you hiding!?"

Why must we have a thread on kaoss pads at least once a day? :indiff:

I'd probably consider it even a slight bit more than I am right now (which isn't much tbh) if I could actually understand what you were saying...

And if I lived in Europe..

Heh. Make sure you update your KP3 firmware; I hadn't noticed there was an update out, and was well chuffed when I found out the latest version actually allowed real-time sample volume changing (Which, frankly, should have already been there), as well as new settings for the playing of samples. Of course, if you only use your KP to piss around with Muse-stylee, don't bother :p

Sorry, I have been so tired with work and Uni as of late. There is actually no rest for the wicked anymore.

Finally manage to catch up with some shuteye today, I feel F**kin Awesome now!

Bunch you K**bs on here that think they are cool and can take digs at people not fully comperhending other peoples situations.

Sorry, I have been so tired with work and Uni as of late. There is actually no rest for the wicked anymore.

Bunch you K**bs on here that think they are cool and can take digs at people not fully comperhending other peoples situations.

huh? :indiff: I didn't understand a word of that.

....dude, go back to school :LOL:

Archived