stuartrushforth

It could be cool Gaz, but what is he going to control with it? His muse Live DVD of course! And he needs a screen to watch that on!!!

Sorry, it's a cool suggestion, but this guy clearly wants to put a "screen" in his guitar that looks like a MIDI strip, not a form of electronic controller.

Resistive pot strips = midi strips = skinny screens, whatever.

These are essentially what are in the Manson bomber, 007 etc.Connect one of these up to microcontroller to send out midi and you can use it to control what you want (such as your fav muse live dvd)

folks, what i want is this: a midi strip like matt bellamy's (Call me what you will, wannabe, faggot, etc) to control things like a whammy. i dont know where to get a midi strip, unless i destroy a synth. so thats not an option. thanks gazlang for the info on the resistive strips, very helpful

i guess i could have worded my question better: its not the look i want, its the size and shape, and the functions of the midi strip i wanted. thanks

folks, what i want is this: a midi strip like matt bellamy's (Call me what you will, wannabe, faggot, etc) to control things like a whammy. i dont know where to get a midi strip, unless i destroy a synth. so thats not an option. thanks gazlang for the info on the resistive strips, very helpful

i guess i could have worded my question better: its not the look i want, its the size and shape, and the functions of the midi strip i wanted. thanks

Cool, i've always wanted to try the midi strip on a guitar connected to a whammy. I was only taking the piss because you said you wanted a "screen" which is obviously nothing to do with a MIDI/resistive strip. If you don't want to break a synth you will have to (I guess) get a resistive strip, and make a circuit to convert the change in resistance to MIDI control data. It sounds complicated, but it's probably not that hard.

There are quite a lot of effects pedals out now having midi in capability.

You can use an XY pad to control these on the fly. e.g. an effect pedal may have gain /compression knobs etc.that are controllable by midi (I dont know this for sure, but dont see why not!)

Anyways. I have almost finished doing a complete revamp of my midi project. My old circuit / code was a bit rough around the edges, bad touch pad resolution and not very energy efficient. Essentially the touch pad was sucking current in a constant "pad on" state. Now I have the pad acting as a switch before its touched, so it is only driven when needed, and the circuit can hibernate when its not.

Also I have made up an automatic pad callibration code when you switch the thing on, so you can use any size pad without having to reconfigure it (e.g. nintendo DS pads / other manufacturer pads)

Also also, I have got a rotary encoder to work for program change (a clicky rotating switch). The one I have has the same shaft size as a standard CTS POT, so will fit knobs to match current volume / tone etc.

Safe

Archived