My first Muse gig was in 2009 and it was awful. I went to the first of two nights at The O2. The rotations were Feeling Good and Unintended Vs Jazzy Cave and MK Ultra (I got the fucking former). Oh and the performance was fucking atrocious compared to the second night which people said was really good.

I'm still mad.

Why did it take me so long to realize that Jazzy Cave is not a cover..?

Was a great way to celebrate my 10th Muse gig last night, the boys were on form and was happy to get such a good setlist with no FG :) was standing left barrier (non exit) and the crowd were really up for it. Bit dead during Revolt but made up for it during Knights which I think overall was one of the best ive been in

Caught something today, I had always assumed that the new stage was created/housed somewhere in California justifying the Winter NA dates, but apparently they were testing all of this in West Yorkshire.

So.... Why did the freeze your ass off tour (fucking miserable for everyone involved) happen knowing that European dates require less notice and the gear was already there? I'd certainly imagine it would have helped ticket sales since some of the dates had little over a month of sales. It makes even less sense when you consider that they'll presumably be shipping that gear back through the US to get to Australia and Asia later this year in the Summer.

I thought we'd already agreed it was because they didn't want all their faff to malfunction in Europe?

Bit odd that set - looked great until Citizen, then largely dreary after.

On balance, I guess I still would take that over Belfast though.

My first Muse gig was in 2009 and it was awful. I went to the first of two nights at The O2. The rotations were Feeling Good and Unintended Vs Jazzy Cave and MK Ultra (I got the fucking former). Oh and the performance was fucking atrocious compared to the second night which people said was really good.

I'm still mad.

I went to that gig, which was also my first time seeing them, and I preferred that one to the 2012 gig I caught at the same venue.

Its not even down to that first time buzz - even then, I felt disappointed with the setlist, and moreso when the 2nd night happened. This is mainly down to the poor sound quality of The 2nd Law show, which had a strangely sterile quality. It wasn't as bad as The Black Keys at the same venue 2 months later, but until the encore, something didn't feel right with the sound and it felt oddly flat. Also, the performance wasn't that bad. They've played better and I've seen better, but it certainly wasn't atrocious.

Was a great way to celebrate my 10th Muse gig last night, the boys were on form and was happy to get such a good setlist with no FG :) was standing left barrier (non exit) and the crowd were really up for it. Bit dead during Revolt but made up for it during Knights which I think overall was one of the best ive been in

I was opposite you on the exit side. Bluey green hair. Got high fives from Dom and Chris, and a proper squeezy handshake from Matt. Not the done thing here, but now I'm fangirling and I don't care!

Forgot to say, obvs wasn't expecting Stockholm so early so when Matt started teasing some drop D riffage a little part of me freaked out that it might be Assassin (as awful as that'd be for Belfast). Stockholm was top as always though.

Also Township > Execution Commentary > Endless Nameless was bllhbrecbkvcrtv

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMt25EyL--A

Dat Riffage :facemelt:

Oh, and just out of curiosity, you said the gig nosedived after SMBH. Was CE not able to stand out at all for you? I know you're not the biggest CE fan, but yea, I'm curious.

It's hard to say they went downhill after TR, because the T2L gigs I saw were pretty fab, even though one of the sets was quite poor, and both gigs were shorter than normal.

Probably the only time I felt like they got the stage show right, and even though heavily choreographed, didn't yet feel bored or half assed.

Dat Riffage :facemelt:

Oh, and just out of curiosity, you said the gig nosedived after SMBH. Was CE not able to stand out at all for you? I know you're not the biggest CE fan, but yea, I'm curious.

I actually jokingly said "Go on, Matt. Execution Commentary." when Township finished 'cause I'd never seen it, laughed my arse off in disbelief when it actually started :LOL:

As for CE - yeah, performance lacked beef imo and I was already a bit bored after Starlight so I guess that didn't help. At this point for me, it's essentially just like getting any other song you've seen a few times and aren't that into over something you've wanted for ages (Apocalypse/Sunburn), except that song goes on for 7-8 minutes :chuckle: Oh, and the pause before the second riff is horrid :vomit: He's definitely doing it for dramatic effect, if anyone was wondering, 'cause when he stopped he sort of beckoned towards the crowd for cheers or sutin (it didn't really work).

It's better than Feeling Good and maybe Eurasia but I guess I just generally find most of it pretty dull live, unless it's sandwiched by stuff I like. It can have good performances though and the crowd was clearly into it so I'm not gonna say it shouldn't be played.

Edited by Jobby

Sooooo, very spontaneous gig last night (extra tickets released so went with two friends who can't make fridays 02 gig with 6 of us) and i had a lot to say. As a positive person, reading this forum for a few months and following the gig discussion had started to depress me, seeing the bands we have there is a definite sense of entitlement in here but i digress, muse put a ridiculous amount of effort and AMBITION into these shows

Main points from last night

1)crowd was quieter admittedly but wasnt too bad, and the standing section ERUPTED by the end of Knights

2) stage show and effect was incredible, 7th muse gig and still wowed and i imagine the subsequent dvd will show it even better

3) FINALLY SAW CITIZEN :D

4) no videos convey just how BIG muse sound live

5) revolt put a massive smile on my face, genuinely shocked

6) uprising works much much better in a bigger setting then it did on psycho tour

7) anyone who hasnt seen muse before leaves genuinely staggered

Overall great show, Sometimes I enjoy a more moshy crowd but last night was a fantastic balance and everyone just seemed to have a great time in their own respective ways and the balloon popping was a great interactive moment!

I actually jokingly said "Go on, Matt. Execution Commentary." when Township finished 'cause I'd never seen it, laughed my arse off in disbelief when it actually started :LOL:

As for CE - yeah, performance lacked beef imo and I was already a bit bored after Starlight so I guess that didn't help. At this point for me, it's essentially just like getting any other song you've seen a few times and aren't that into over something you've wanted for ages (Apocalypse/Sunburn), except that song goes on for 7-8 minutes :chuckle: Oh, and the pause before the second riff is horrid :vomit: He's definitely doing it for dramatic effect, if anyone was wondering, 'cause when he stopped he sort of beckoned towards the crowd for cheers or sutin (it didn't really work).

It's better than Feeling Good and maybe Eurasia but I guess I just generally find most of it pretty dull live, unless it's sandwiched by stuff I like. It can have good performances though and the crowd was clearly into it so I'm not gonna say it shouldn't be played.

Cheers for the explanation. That pause really does seem weird. Though there were gigs without it, or at least one. Iirc, according to ryan he didn't do it in Dublin. Anyway, I hope it'll pop up when I'm in London, so sorry about that in advance :LOL:.

Cheers for the explanation. That pause really does seem weird. Though there were gigs without it, or at least one. Iirc, according to ryan he didn't do it in Dublin. Anyway, I hope it'll pop up when I'm in London, so sorry about that in advance :LOL:.

There was no pause in Birmingham either.

Replying to this a bit late but it's not as if "being exhausted from being on tour" is an excuse for any of this considering it's been like this since the first dates of the US tour. Can't speak for what Mexico was like since I wasn't there.

Equally late reply to you.

I've watched it being thrown around here in the past though as an excuse for their shit attitude and setlists, it doesn't wash with me at all. It feels to me that they just can't be arsed, and it's not because they are tired. Call it a day, lads.

It feels like the band is just giving it a good effort only when they feel like it, and has led to too many gigs where it just looks like a chore for them. Not all of them, but way too many.

So yeah, maybe I do feel entitled to have the band at least try to put some effort into a gig I pay to see, same as other gigs.

"Look at all these fancy lights!" isn't a replacement for effort.

Seeing someone like ryan rave 10/10 for his first gig and how upset the second one made him is depressing. Getting one of the shitty gigs is depressing.

Standing at a gig anticipating a promised song that never appears sucks, and shouldn't happen, either.

It feels like they're taking a lot of advantage of their level of fame and position, and letting their petty shit and occassional boredom show through into their work too much

Depressing.

And unacceptable.

Maybe they need to step back and reevaluate what would make them happy with touring.

And if that answer is "make as much money as possible" regardless of if theyre enjoying themselves... learn to fake it.

I'm still mad.

I know the pain. Dublin got the exact same setlist as London night 1. Fucking hell though, just looked back at it. Give me Belfast any day over this shit. Look at this run

SMBH

Guiding Light

Interlude + Hysteria

Nishe

USoE

Feeling Good

Unintended

Jam

UD

Starlight

PiB

TiRO

Seeing someone like ryan rave 10/10 for his first gig and how upset the second one made him is depressing. Getting one of the shitty gigs is depressing.

Standing at a gig anticipating a promised song that never appears sucks, and shouldn't happen, either.

When did I say the second one made me upset?? I have no recollection of this. If anything I tried to keep the bitching to an absolute minimum. :LOL:

I was looking at some NIN sets yesterday. Oh how I wish Matt would take a leaf out of Trent's book on how to write setlists. The Tension tour, which was rather production heavy, had 25-28 songs per night. Only 12 were played at each gig and the rest were on rotation.

Their 2009 tour didn't care at all about pleasing the masses - they opened the festivals with b-sides and other rarities. Then the following club tour had 28-30 songs per night (the last one had 37) and almost 70 songs played throughout the tour.

Its not even down to that first time buzz - even then, I felt disappointed with the setlist, and moreso when the 2nd night happened. This is mainly down to the poor sound quality of The 2nd Law show, which had a strangely sterile quality. It wasn't as bad as The Black Keys at the same venue 2 months later, but until the encore, something didn't feel right with the sound and it felt oddly flat. Also, the performance wasn't that bad. They've played better and I've seen better, but it certainly wasn't atrocious.

Bad sound + Good performance > Bad sound + Bad performance

The performance was absolutely horrible. You are clearly misremembering as I recall it being one of the worst of the entire tour, worse than a lot of US dates.

Admittedly, I've only REALLY enjoyed one gig at the O2 (Frank Turner) and that was because I didn't know NIN too well when I saw them.

Bad sound + Good performance > Bad sound + Bad performance

The performance was absolutely horrible. You are clearly misremembering as I recall it being one of the worst of the entire tour, worse than a lot of US dates.

Admittedly, I've only REALLY enjoyed one gig at the O2 (Frank Turner) and that was because I didn't know NIN too well when I saw them.

I'm not saying it was a great performance - that much is evident on YouTube, and from what he said, it sounded like my cousin got the better gig at Birmingham a few days earlier. But I did feel happier leaving the 2009 gig than the 2012 one because the sound quality problem meant I didn't enjoy the 2012 gig as much, or at least until the encores. Either that or the whole being new to live music thing helped (that gig was only the 2nd big one I went to). Whatever.

It may well be the case the quality was better for me the first time because my ears were not as thoroughly fucked then as they even were in 2012, and I was still getting used to earplugs at that second one. But I still enjoyed that 09 gig, even if Wembley and Reading later on that tour were substantially better gigs. Its all opinions anyway.

I enjoyed U2 & Arctic Monkeys at the O2, but the two gigs I went to there in 2012 had a very sterile sound quality. Frank Turner there in 2014 was a good gig, but again, could've been better in a better venue. I have bigger regrets doing Alexandra Palace last November as I was very unwell and my left ear wasn't working properly, so I struggled to hear most of it.

Edited by forevermusic
Grammar clean

I went to London last Sunday and Manchester yesterday. Both shows had setlist pros (MAJOR pros) and cons (MAJOR cons) but I enjoyed both of them thoroughly. And I don't really remember enjoying many shows from the Resistance tour, so that's something.

Also, glad I got to see them in the Manchester Arena last night. That is leagues above the O2 in so many ways.

2nd leg of the US T2L tour some of the gigs got really rare stuff; BH, NSC, fucking Fury.

I got US. Despite thinking US is a pile of balls, and driving 30+ hours out there, I didn't complain.

It wasn't a horrible set compared to others, just bad luck on one song, and a really, really good performance. Probably the gig I liked best.

So, what am I saying... The differences in this tours gigs are worse than US instead of Fury?

I guess so. :chuckle:

The performance makes a huge difference.

One bad rotation doesn't make or break a gig, but four might.

How did people feel about The Globalist then?

I thought it was a total dud and might be best getting dropped for one or two songs the crowd'll react to tbh. Even the heavy bit was weaker than I expected and actually ended up sounding pretty sloppy imo. The visuals are okay but don't really become interesting until towards the end, which isn't enough to save a 10 minute song for me.

Weirdly enough, I think I enjoyed the piano bit the most :$ Not that that's saying much, mind.

2nd leg of the US T2L tour some of the gigs got really rare stuff; BH, NSC, fucking Fury.

I got US. Despite thinking US is a pile of balls, and driving 30+ hours out there, I didn't complain.

It wasn't a horrible set compared to others, just bad luck on one song, and a really, really good performance. Probably the gig I liked best.

So, what am I saying... The differences in this tours gigs are worse than US instead of Fury?

I guess so. :chuckle:

The performance makes a huge difference.

One bad rotation doesn't make or break a gig, but four might.

That's a preference thing though. You can't solely base your perception of a gig on a single song just because you were unhappy about that rotation. I was very upset about getting New Born instead of Stockholm Syndrome at one gig, so upset that I tried to leave but my girlfriend (at the time) made me stay. It was still a decent show and the other rotations were pretty fair (Liquid State over Save Me, Map over Hysteria, Falling Down over Sunburn).

That's a preference thing though. You can't solely base your perception of a gig on a single song just because you were unhappy about that rotation. I was very upset about getting New Born instead of Stockholm Syndrome at one gig, so upset that I tried to leave but my girlfriend (at the time) made me stay. It was still a decent show and the other rotations were pretty fair (Liquid State over Save Me, Map over Hysteria, Falling Down over Sunburn).

lol :LOL: