How did people feel about The Globalist then?

I thought it was a total dud and might be best getting dropped for one or two songs the crowd'll react to tbh. Even the heavy bit was weaker than I expected and actually ended up sounding pretty sloppy imo. The visuals are okay but don't really become interesting until towards the end, which isn't enough to save a 10 minute song for me.

Weirdly enough, I think I enjoyed the piano bit the most :$ Not that that's saying much, mind.

I'm inclined to agree. Although I like it a lot, I don't think it works that well live, at least when I saw it. Think the casual fans don't know it, and many of the long-term fans lose interest bec it's not participatory esp given how long it is. But I do think good on them for giving it a go.

That's a preference thing though. You can't solely base your perception of a gig on a single song just because you were unhappy about that rotation. I was very upset about getting New Born instead of Stockholm Syndrome at one gig, so upset that I tried to leave but my girlfriend (at the time) made me stay. It was still a decent show and the other rotations were pretty fair (Liquid State over Save Me, Map over Hysteria, Falling Down over Sunburn).

I think that's exactly what I said. I got a dud song rotation in Denver, and it didn't stop me from enjoying the gig, because the band actually put on a good show and managed to make me sort of enjoy watching a song I hate.

The Drones gig made me disappointed during songs I love, because of the lackluster performance.

I thought it was a total dud and might be best getting dropped for one or two songs the crowd'll react to tbh. Even the heavy bit was weaker than I expected and actually ended up sounding pretty sloppy imo. The visuals are okay but don't really become interesting until towards the end, which isn't enough to save a 10 minute song for me.

Weirdly enough, I think I enjoyed the piano bit the most :$ Not that that's saying much, mind.

I've probably said this tons, but it was actually my favorite part after Mercy.

Would have still liked the band to be more visible, but that plagued the entire gig (piano too far away, backs to people, dark stage.)

The bits where I could see Matt playing in between or through the visuals were amazing, and the visuals were stunning.

Probably the only time during the gig I really felt the set up did justice to a song

Visuals particularly at the ending were just captivating.

Was the first time I really felt immersed into the gig.

Was super interested to hear it's Matt's favorite live.

I think that's exactly what I said. I got a dud song rotation in Denver, and it didn't stop me from enjoying the gig, because the band actually put on a good show and managed to make me sort of enjoy watching a song I hate.

The Drones gig made me disappointed during songs I love, because of the lackluster performance.

Still complained about it.

Me and my girlfriend really enjoyed the heavy bit and we both got chills when the tremolo kicked in. I think it was one of her favourites, and I thought it was awesome, but we did both laugh at the "drone" that appeared. Fairly certain I have a video where you can hear me laughing when we notice it.

I've seen a lot of other bands' gigs where I didn't know all the songs, or even any of them, and it wasn't off putting, or anything.

I think people should be able to enjoy a song whether they know it or not, and if they're expecting a gig with nothing but familiar songs when they didn't bother to listen to the artists' catalogue... Well, that's not something that should be catered to, imo.

Of course, I don't feel the need to talk, yell, or play around on Twitter when there's a song on I don't know or care for, either, and that seems to be the direction things are sadly going.

Hm, maybe it just didn't sound good at the MEN. Or maybe long-ass songs that flit between soft and heavy bits just aren't my thing :chuckle:

Interesting that it's Matt's fave, I would've thought he'd like something that gets a big crowd reception. Maybe he's just proud of the theatrics, since he puts so much onus on that nowadays.

This just came to my mind: Where the hell did New Born disappear to? Looked fantastic at the festivals with proper tempo and Matt playing the piano.

Think Matt just got more and more bored of it after the Black Holes tour. T'was brilliant at Download last year though.

Maybe it'll appear at one of these London gigs

Hadn't thought about that. As great as it was last year, I wouldn't want it to be one of the very few (if any) rarities we get in London, I'd rather that went to something I haven't seen 3 times :chuckle: If it was rotated in for CE or Stockholm though then sure.

Edited by Jobby

Yeah he said that. And to be fair I'd imagine it would be quite fun to play, as there's a fair amount of diversity in what he's playing, and it can be fun if you're up for all of it to do slide, drop A riffs and Elgar in one ten minute song. But I can also imagine spending a large amount of it as an audience member going "... hurry up this is slow and meh".

I've seen a lot of other bands' gigs where I didn't know all the songs, or even any of them, and it wasn't off putting, or anything.

I think people should be able to enjoy a song whether they know it or not, and if they're expecting a gig with nothing but familiar songs when they didn't bother to listen to the artists' catalogue... Well, that's not something that should be catered to, imo.

Of course, I don't feel the need to talk, yell, or play around on Twitter when there's a song on I don't know or care for, either, and that seems to be the direction things are sadly going.

This sadly is what happened during The Globalist at the O2, people yakety-yak (in the GA) in the quieter bits. Attention span of fleas.

Yeah he said that. And to be fair I'd imagine it would be quite fun to play, as there's a fair amount of diversity in what he's playing, and it can be fun if you're up for all of it to do slide, drop A riffs and Elgar in one ten minute song. But I can also imagine spending a large amount of it as an audience member going "... hurry up this is slow and meh".

Do we reckon he's really whistling live? :chuckle:

This sadly is what happened during The Globalist at the O2, people yakety-yak (in the GA) in the quieter bits. Attention span of fleas.

I saw a band a while ago that did a pretty great cover of NIN's Hurt, and a few other quiet songs, and people talked so loudly I couldn't hear the song over them, and had to watch it days later on videos... *sigh*

There were a lot of people around me talking about how they'd seen Taylor Swift, or Lady Gaga, and weren't terribly impressed with Muse's big show. The talk going into it was people who didn't know what to expect, but thought it was going to be a lot different than it was.

And at times I could agree with them; the drones didn't work properly and were much less impressive than what they are now, and there were so few songs with actual visuals that I was quite surprised.

But then, those were universally the same people who talked on their phones all the way through The Globalist, which was pretty damn magnificent looking live, and there was a colossal balloon flying over us.

It wasn't like the crowd was into jumping around and the quiet songs were boring; I just felt much closer to people who were really ambivalent to be there, no matter what the song was, or were more interested in sending out pics of themselves at the gig.

This just came to my mind: Where the hell did New Born disappear to? Looked fantastic at the festivals with proper tempo and Matt playing the piano.

I believe it was in The Handler's spot before they started playing that. It was dropped as a staple around that time iirc. Which is a shame, because it did sound amazing at Pinkpop last summer! They've actually played it at every gig I've been to (apart from last month's gig at the Ziggo Dome) and last summer's was by far the best!

Think Matt just got more and more bored of it after the Black Holes tour. T'was brilliant at Download last year though.

Hm, maybe. But during the (few) performances last year they looked like they were having fun. Download, Pinkpop... I'd be cool with it, if they'd play it rarely to keep it fresh and fun, but it just disappeared :(

Maybe it'll appear at one of these London gigs

Yes please (pun not intended)

Hadn't thought about that. As great as it was last year, I wouldn't want it to be one of the very few (if any) rarities we get in London, I'd rather that went to something I haven't seen 3 times :chuckle: If it was rotated in for CE or Stockholm though then sure.

Ideally, Stockholm would've stayed a staple this tour with New Born occasionally swapped in. That way nobody could be missing out on a major rarity. Then again we kinda have a Stockholm/Hysteria rotation going on lately, could put NB in there with the same result, provided they wouldn't play a rarity in that slot at some point. Personally, I've only seen it once, and that was the T2L version, and I'd take the 2015 version over certain rarities, for instance Sunburn, which I've seen twice last tour and hasn't really changed this tour.

I believe it was in The Handler's spot before they started playing that. It was dropped as a staple around that time iirc. Which is a shame, because it did sound amazing at Pinkpop last summer! They've actually played it at every gig I've been to (apart from last month's gig at the Ziggo Dome) and last summer's was by far the best!

Ahh, that makes sense, at least kind of...

Sounds like it was awesome last year :happy:

So, there are some positive comments about Manchester's gigs. I'm glad some people enjoyed and had a good time during the gigs.:p

Thanks for the posts!:LOL::LOL::LOL:

The first time I read a positive and exciting comment about a gig from Manchester, I thought it was April Fool again :$:LOL:

Tells a lot about the board...for me...

Edited by Claudia O.

Who's going tonight and any multiple giggers this week in London?

I have a VIP section ticket for tonight, does anyone know what that entails in terms of time we get in and what VIP at the O2 gives you? Anyone that had this from the 3rd and can advise, it would be most welcome!! :)