I'm diggin it more after a second listen, the second part of the album is like a grower. I'm enjoying Revolt way more than I expected. I'm still working with The Globalist piano part, and the ending of Aftermath. And Drones, although I see talent, it's not my cup of tea. But great vocals, that's almost undeniable.

Well, it was nice knowing you all.

Muse is over. No offense to anyone who still like them.

Ditto.

Thank you, Muse. I finally had some sort of closure. The Handler was the perfect end. It might be enough to save Drones of becoming what to me the worst Muse album.

Can't believe I'm saying this but I fell in love with Revolt AND Aftermath on first listen. Defector, I find a bit meh.

I have some mixed feelings, because some bits I love to death and others just seem to drag a bit. I can't believe they didn't go on for longer with the riff from The Globalist. They built it up so well, had a brilliant run through the riff and then just dropped it for a section which just drags and doens't really get my attention. I also don't really get how this is supposed to somehow be related to CE. I like 2/3rds of it.

I do like how it goes to the acapella ending. It's a cool composition (I think its helping that I can't figure out the lyrics at all, because what I've been reading just makes me laugh) and I can't help but admire their huge balls for finishing a modern album like that :LOL:

Overall I'd say it's a solid record, but I do get why a lot of people aren't really into it. I think it's because the overall expectation was for them to really go and reconnect with their roots, and they didn't really do that. The Handler was like the closest thing to fan service and a true nod to oldschool Muse. Highlights to me are Reapers, Dead Inside, The Handler, Revolt and Aftermath. I think it's very likely a good chunk of music critics will rip it apart

Anyway, it all just seems to me like this was a lot of stuff that Matt needed to get out of his system. It's known he might have gone through a bit of a dark phase and this just seems like a bunch of stuff created by someone who desperately needs to do things and express himself without caring about what anyone else thinks. It just goes in so many directions and presents lots of different, frequentely conflicting feelings. Some of the lyrics are crappy, but the music itself at least seems quite sincere, which is something I didn't really feel in TR/T2L. Even though it's wrapped in the whole drones narrative, it feels very personal. Also I really enjoy how so much attention seems to have gone to all sorts of arrangements and harmonies. It's entirely understandable if you don't enjoy the record, but they really weren't slacking at all! Even the tracks I dislike a bit don't feel lazy at all.

It's better than Showbiz, TR and T2L. It actually feels like they took everything they learned on those last 2 records and applied it here. It will sit side by side with the other 3 albums, as I can't give them a definitive rank. Will be interesting to see what everyone thinks of it down the road.

Edited by s3ker

How does being an atheist have anything to do with that? :erm:.

I guess maybe if you don't believe in anything after death why would you care if people remember you well i.e doesn't matter as you won't exist. I realise re-reading that it sounds a bit stupid maybe im just projecting my thoughts

Can't believe I'm saying this but I fell in love with Revolt AND Aftermath on first listen. Defector, I find a bit meh.

I have some mixed feelings, because some bits I love to death and others just seem to drag a bit. I can't believe they didn't go on for longer with the riff from The Globalist. They built it up so well, had a brilliant run through the riff and then just dropped it for a section which just drags and doens't really get my attention. I also don't really get how this is supposed to somehow be related to CE. I like 2/3rds of it.

I do like how it goes to the acapella ending. It's a cool composition (I think its helping that I can't figure out the lyrics at all, because what I've been reading just makes me laugh) and I can't help but admire their huge balls for finishing a modern album like that :LOL:

Overall I'd say it's a solid record, but I do get why a lot of people aren't really into it. I think it's because the overall expectation was for them to really go and reconnect with their roots, and they didn't really do that. The Handler was like the closest thing to fan service and a true nod to oldschool Muse. Highlights to me are Reapers, Dead Inside, The Handler, Revolt and Aftermath. I think it's very likely a good chunk of music critics will rip it apart

Anyway, it all just seems to me like this was a lot of stuff that Matt needed to get out of his system. It's known he might have gone through a bit of a dark phase and this just seems like a bunch of stuff created by someone who just needs to do things and not care about what anyone else thinks. It just goes in so many directions and presents lots of different, frequentely conflicting feelings. Some of the lyrics are crappy, but the music itself at least seems quite sincere, which is something I didn't really feel in TR/T2L. Also I really enjoy how so much attention seems to have gone to all sorts of arrangements and harmonies. It's entirely understandable if you don't enjoy the record, but they really weren't slacking at all! Even the tracks I dislike a bit don't feel lazy at all.

It's better than Showbiz, TR and T2L. It actually feels like they took everything they learned on those last 2 records and applied it here. It will sit side by side with the other 3 albums, as I can't give them a definitive rank. Will be interesting to see what everyone thinks of it down the road.

think this is fairly good analysis, i agree about getting it out of system. Hopefully they make another album in a couple of years that blows us all away with actual back to roots rock

Dead Inside - solid opener, fantastic vocals, 9/10

Psycho - great, but a bit repetitive, 8/10

Mercy - again it's great but middle section is a bit cheesy, 8/10

Reapers - probably best song since Absolution in my opinion, unbelievable 10/10

The Handler - same as Reapers, it's up their with their best 10/10

[JFK] - great interlude

Defector - fucking class, 10/10

Revolt - hilarious but fun and decent, 7/10

Aftermath - pretty good but doesn't sound like Muse, will have to listen to it a few more times.

Globalist - a lot better on the second listen, 8 or 9/10

Drones - not quite sure what to make of it yet

All in all, solid album. First half better than the second and Reapers through Defector is some of the best stuff they've ever put out. Best moment is probably the Defector solo.

Agreed with everything except best moment, and that Drones title track is a 10/10.