Do you like Mercy?  

402 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Mercy?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

Also. One thing that's bugging me is people saying it sounds like old Muse! It doesn't...

Old Muse: Showbiz, OOS, Absolution

New Muse: BHAR, Resistance, T2L

The advent of Christ mark the end of the Old Testament and the start of the New Testament. What turned the Old Muse into the New Muse? I'm curious to know.

Very Starlight-y. Probably the most "Black Holes" track they've done within the nine years since. Even has the arpeggios that they loved using so much in that album.

It's surprisingly rocky despite that though. I kind of dig it. I honestly expected most of the album to be more darker during it's first half though. This seems to imply that the mood will fluctuate a bit.

If I'd have to rank the three currently released tracks it would be;

Dead Inside > Mercy > Psycho

Also. One thing that's bugging me is people saying it sounds like old Muse! It doesn't...

Old Muse: Showbiz, OOS, Absolution

New Muse: BHAR, Resistance, T2L

I don't know that the line is as clear as that. I think parts of Absolution definitely cross the line from "Old" and "New".

That being said, I don't know that this sounds like "old" Muse, as much as it just sounds like Muse.

The advent of Christ mark the end of the Old Testament and the start of the New Testament. What turned the Old Muse into the New Muse? I'm curious to know.

Morgan.

He joined during BHAR era. When they were a three piece Matt played all the synths and keys bar the chorus of Stockholm Syndrome. Once Morgan joined it allowed Muse to write more songs they could play live with Morgan. Hence a shift in sound.

Morgan.

He joined during BHAR era. When they were a three piece Matt played all the synths and keys bar the chorus of Stockholm Syndrome. Once Morgan joined it allowed Muse to write more songs they could play live with Morgan. Hence a shift in sound.

Because the idea of hiring a guy to play one of the instruments hasn't been around since Sunburn?

Morgan.

Morgan is the return of Christ then.

What?

Matt has always played on Sunburn.

Morgan was first brought in because Chris broke his arm before a festival and Morgan filled in on bass (Absolution era). Then he joined full time during the BHAR era...one guy said there's hints of old muse and new muse in BHAR and I'd have to agree. That was definitely the turning point. And no it's not when I "stopped liking the band".

What?

Matt has always played on Sunburn.

Morgan was first brought in because Chris broke his arm before a festival and Morgan filled in on bass (Absolution era). Then he joined full time during the BHAR era...one guy said there's hints of old muse and new muse in BHAR and I'd have to agree. That was definitely the turning point. And no it's not when I "stopped liking the band".

Re-read what she wrote.

The only difference I noticed between the leak and the file I just downloaded via redemption code today is that the leak was 15.1 MB and this one is 11.2 MB. Other than that the waveforms are the same. If anything this new version is more compressed then. I have no clue about the "iTunes version" but iTunes is irrelevant since the files are lossy 256 kbps anyways.

The HD audio release is slightly better, just slighty, but barely anything that would truly be noticeable. After the HD releases of Psycho and Dead Inside basically being almost like they just converted the MP3 into FLAC, I really hope the final release is as extensively different as the HD release of T2L proved to be, otherwise it'll be a damn con

Also, for the record...I love Morgan!

I just don't think Mercy sounds like "old Muse" as many are stating. This has been their sound for the last 3 albums

it obviously has some parts of origin and a little showbiz aswell.

I don't expect drones to blow my mind either but I can clearly enjoy everything I have heard so far.

Maybe it is hard to really re invent yourself at that point of your career.

They are great musicians though.

I had a bigger problem to accept reapers since it sounded too much like ACDC at one point

She said this because when Muse played on V Channel in 2000, they hired a pianist to play the piano on Sunburn, whilst Matt played the guitar.
and they discussed bringing on a 4th member permanently.

Ah I see!! I wasn't aware. Cheers for pointing this out.

For one track though...that had already been written! My point was Muse have since written songs that have moved away from a traditional three-piece sound, thanks to having Morgan on board who they know can replicate the sound live.

What i don't know is why they have in mind replicate the songs live while composing, this is very noticeable in T2L. Just write a song as awesome as possible and if it can't sound exactly like that live it doesn't matter.

What i don't know is why they have in mind replicate the songs live while composing, this is very noticeable in T2L. Just write a song as awesome as possible and if it can't sound exactly like that live it doesn't matter.

I think they just use it as a reference point for the type of sound they want to capture, they've always composed music with the live sound in mind except for T2L.