Do you like Mercy?  

402 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Mercy?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

I've listened to the song quite a few times now since last night... I do really like it, its Muse... Out of the 3 songs they have officially released so far though, I'd probably say its my least favourite out of the 3. Thats not to say I dislike the song, but its not my favourite either...yet anyway, it might just grow on me this.

Considering Download Festival is also only 4 weeks away, apart from Phycho, i've yet to hear a song from this album that would fit in with the Download demographic.

To me Mercy is like a meld of Starlight and Stockholm. It also has a Smashing Pumpkins vibe about it, which is good thing because i'm also a big fan of the Pumpkins.

Yes I was thinking about Download and agree that Psycho is the only song that comes anywhere near the Download type of music

Considering Download Festival is also only 4 weeks away, apart from Phycho, i've yet to hear a song from this album that would fit in with the Download demographic.

Exactly what I'm thinking. I'm assuming The Handler and The Globalist are heavy enough, so thats 4 songs including Reapers. Matt said in an interview that psycho is one extreme of the album so I doubt there is anything much heavier on Drones :/

You know I wasn't a big fan of the song when I heard the live leak but hearing the studio version makes me happy. It's a good song.

I'd say that I really don't like the production on this album. It's very 80's which was annoying enough but there's also some minimal clipping because loudness war. You can hear it in Psycho sometimes, too.

At least it's not as bad as Rick Rubin's stuff. That guy ruined Death Magnetic and pretty much every album by the Chili Peppers.

Same. It's ridiculous, this fanbase is always in perpetual denial about anything that gets released lol. My only complaint is it's disappointing that this track falls victim to the loudness wars but ignoring the fact that it clips, the way it was mixed seems intentional. All of the vocal layering as well Matt's sometimes bizarre delivery of vocals in the initial and following verse seem to me to fit solidly into the confused haze of the narrative. Loud guitar mixing too for that matter if anything tries to make the song and its pleading message seem urgent IMO.

I'm very curious to see if the uncompressed files will actually make a difference; it seems that a lot of the lack of dynamic comes from limiters and gates used in the recording process rather than in post production. From what I could tell from the EQ graphs in Cubase they also used some sort of sinus shaped stereo pattern in what I guess is the synths. It makes for a very odd display.

I'm very curious to see if the uncompressed files will actually make a difference; it seems that a lot of the lack of dynamic comes from limiters and gates used in the recording process rather than in post production. From what I could tell from the EQ graphs in Cubase they also used some sort of sinus shaped stereo pattern in what I guess is the synths. It makes for a very odd display.

That's actually really interesting! Someone posted either on here or reddit that the FLAC files they received for Psycho and Dead Inside sounded exactly the same as the MP3s. I'm not sure what term they used to describe where the FLAC was sourced but I think they said it was transcoded up from the MP3s as a lossy file rather than from the uncompressed masters but don't quote me on that.

I don't understand people's problem with the way Matt pronounces "puppeteer." It sounds normal to me, maybe that's because I'm American (people have said it sounds too American).

It barely even sounds American to me lol. It's such an arbitrary thing to take issue with :rolleyes: that's one of the best sounding lines in the song.

Just heard Mercy - really disappointed and also with Dead Inside. Was hoping that the new album would be more like Psycho - fingers still crossed but I am concerned...all sounds a bit too much like pop for my

liking

Singles are singles for a reason these days - to be played on the radio or by the largest audience possible as opposed to the rest of the album which, business-wise, narrows the target market.

The singles just get everyone interested or curious or both, and will potentially lead to new fans or just more sales.

So, let's not judge the album by 3 officially released songs, all at the beginning of the album, all singles, all particularly radio or concert-sing-along-friendly.

Here's 4 songs I know that are either 99% certain to be or 100% certain to be epic or have particularly heavy elements:

1. Reapers, if you haven't heard it already.

2. The Handler, apparently the darkest, and possibly in turn the heaviest, and with Dom's enthusiasm to play it, we can be expecting something good.

3. The Globalist

4. Defector

It's a shame the outro wasn't longer, sounded like quite a good riff.

Agreed! Either that or it should've been in the bridge, somewhere, but in a different harmonic order to lead to the low-tension part of just the bass guitar.

Here's 4 songs I know that are either 99% certain to be or 100% certain to be epic or have particularly heavy elements:

4. Defector

Not sure Defector's gonna be particularly heavy. From what we heard it has that brief riff but even that isn't that heavy really.

Not sure Defector's gonna be particularly heavy. From what we heard it has that brief riff but even that isn't that heavy really.

True, thinking back to it, you're right. Well, it's Absolution-esque and a bit of OoS/Showbiz solo.

Singles are singles for a reason these days - to be played on the radio or by the largest audience possible as opposed to the rest of the album which, business-wise, narrows the target market.

The singles just get everyone interested or curious or both, and will potentially lead to new fans or just more sales.

So, let's not judge the album by 3 officially released songs, all at the beginning of the album, all singles, all particularly radio or concert-sing-along-friendly.

1. Reapers, if you haven't heard it already.

2. The Handler, apparently the darkest, and possibly in turn the heaviest, and with Dom's enthusiasm to play it, we can be expecting something good.

3. The Globalist

4. Defector

You can go ahead and add Psycho to the list, makes for about half the album already.

I think this may be that one song on the album that I might skip. I love Dead Inside, and I like Pyscho, I just can't seem to wrap my head around this one. I hate to say it but this song sounds like a Drones b-side and I haven't even heard the full album yet!

I think this may be that one song on the album that I might skip. I love Dead Inside, and I like Pyscho, I just can't seem to wrap my head around this one. I hate to say it but this song sounds like a Drones b-side and I haven't even heard the full album yet!

Speaking of such matters, does anyone think we'll get any (real) b-sides this time around? It's been a while...

Speaking of such matters, does anyone think we'll get any (real) b-sides this time around? It's been a while...

I think so. They've got a producer this time round and Mutt would probably have had them cook up more songs than was chosen for the album, imo.

I think that's why TR and T2L were of slightly lesser quality - because they seemed to only really write the songs they knew they wanted on the album and just stopped at that.

I'm only really hoping and speculating at this point, though.

I think so. They've got a producer this time round and Mutt would probably have had them cook up more songs than was chosen for the album, imo.

I highly doubt we'll see any b-sides for this album, let alone original ones. Even if they did write/record more songs than they needed, that doesn't mean the leftovers will be released unfortunately. IIRC, didn't they go into the T2L sessions with loads of songs but only released the 12 we got?