Do you like Mercy?  

402 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Mercy?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

Eh, your opinion against mine. I love drumming to this song and love how it progresses into jazz with the organ from the intro.

That breakdown was the most yawn-worthy thing Muse had done up to that point if you exclude the general buildup of Showbiz.

Eh, your opinion against mine. I love drumming to this song and love how it progresses into jazz with the organ from the intro.

Mercy sounds nothing like jazz at all :LOL: and unless your referring to a different track, neither do they lol

Don't really hear any Stockholm Syndrome in Mercy, unless you're referring to arpeggios, which SS has in the chorus

Yeah, I meant the arpeggios as well. The constant bass drum kicking and crashing, the heavy distorted bass. There's definitely SS in there for comparison.

Mercy sounds nothing like jazz at all :LOL: and unless your referring to a different track, neither do they lol

He means the shuffle-type drumming during the soft part of the break down of Unnatural Selection.

I agree it's hardly jazz though..

He means the shuffle-type drumming during the soft part of the break down of Unnatural Selection.

I agree it's hardly jazz though..

When I say jazz, i don't mean bebop jazz.

I mean elements of jazz, so lengthy chords, swing, improvising. It's definitely got jazz in there.

Best bit is the ending IMO - that swirl of synths with the lock of guitar bass and drums should've been built as the bridge and repeated at the end.

This.

Shame. We've had both ends of the spectrum now, Psycho over-using its best asset - Mercy under using its :(.

You ignored my point tho. I was saying doing the same with this album won't be as disappointing because Mutt's production job is stellar and will bring out the best out of each track here, whereas the production wasn't on the same level with T2L.

I guess I don't agree with your point.

Just because they aren't self-producing means I'm not going to give myself unreasonable expectations of how the song 'should' sound after hearing the live version?

Mutt's not some miracle worker who knows what I personally like in a song.

No matter how good the final production, my brain has already locked in to how the song should sound, and with T2L I found hearing the actual ones a bit jarring after that; not necessarily because they were worse (except the first "follow me" in FM after the drop was) but just because they were different and I was dealing with my brain trying to adapt to that while trying to absorb the real song for the first time, at the same time.

To anyone who hasn't heard it and who might be interested in my opinion, Mercy sounds like a mixture of Starlight (verses, although it's much rockier and the lyrics are much darker than Starlight) and Follow Me (chorus).

As a comparison, I thought Dead Inside sounded like 40% Undisclosed Desires, 40% Madness, 20% Supermassive Black Hole (not sure why - the funkiness I guess, and the fact that it's much heavier than the other two).