Do you like Reapers?  

698 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Reapers?

• Yes!!
    • Maybe
    • Nope
    • Electronically arousing

One last go and then I give up until the official lyrics come out.

Home

It's becoming a killing field.

There's a crosshair locked on my heart.

With no recourse,

and there's noone behind the wheel.

Hellfire

You're wiping me out,

Killed By

Drones

Drones

You bring lies and deceit,

Our bodies on the shore.

We've got to see our heaven,

but all I've got is suicide.

War,

War just moved up a gear.

I don't think I can handle the truth.

that I'm just a pawn,

And that we're all expendable.

It's a misery backed by the universe,

Hellfire

Drones

Drones

Kill under my control,

Our bodies on the shore.

We've got reapers and horsemen,

Now I am radicalized.

You bring lies and deceit, - (Sounds like there's a 'H' in there, Humans, Lies and Deceit?)

our bodies on the shore.

We've got to see our heaven,

and now all we have is blue light.

Must give up my control,

our bodies are on the shore.

Cus' we've got reapers and horsemen,

Now I am radicalized.

Those chorus' are nightmares.

I've never really heard "Bodies on the shore" tbh. I hear something more along the lines of either "[You've/Have?] brought this on yourself" or "war is on your side", the latter doesn't really make sense though.

I don't think we'll get a definite version of any of the choruses until the album comes out :chuckle:

Also, I know I've said this a few times, but this is becoming one of my favourite songs they've done. I'm just hoping the studio version won't let me down massively.

Edited by Jobby

I've never really heard "Bodies on the shore" tbh. I hear something more along the lines of either "[You've/Have?] brought this on yourself" or "war is on your side", the latter doesn't really make sense though.

Vowels and consonants are important here.

The 'o' vowel in "bodies" lends itself to a shouty configuration in that range of the voice. You can hear Matt strain a few times trying to sing it in falsetto, which is why people whinged about the vocals at Belfast. Usually he sings the 'ah' vowel instead (bahdies), followed by a consistent plosive which indicates a hard consonant like 'd' and an 'ee' sounding vowel (so all up bah-dees). It could also be "blood is (on the shore)" though, it's hard to tell if there's an 'l' in there or not.

The last word consistently starts with a /ʃ/, pronounced 'sh'. It could be show, or shire, or shore. There's no way it is "self" or "side" or any other syllable which does not begin with a 'sh' sound. The vowel is hard to tell as it changes between 'aw' and 'ah', but likely points to 'aw' (see below).

I definitely hear radicalised, but he sings it as "radicalaaaaaah". On first listen I thought he might've been singing "now I am ridiculous" which makes perfect sense. The problem with Matt and falsetto is he often tends towards a 'falsetto vowel' and neglects consonants on sustained notes at the end of sentences.

"Yes I'm gonna weeee-aaaaah"

"All the peace and joy in your maaaaaah"

"What you're doing to meeee-aaaah"

etc.

Edited by Espectro Cuatro

Vowels and consonants are important here.

etc.

oh man, I feel like I'm back in my speech path processes class. I was actually practicing my transcription with muse lyrics the other day. funny seeing /ʃ/ written somewhere other than in my uni assessment, haha

anyway, I like that this song has some uncertainty around the lyrics and that they aren't directly in our faces (well, not live anyway) which has been the case more often than not lately with muse. the music is great, and the lyrics aren't shaping up to be too bad either. really, really liking this song!

You got to see our love go (?)

All you've got is boomerangs (????)

As much as I love this I hear something like

You don't see our love but

All we've got is blowing up

&

instead of "my control" it could be mind control

I was going through the instagram clips just now, trying to find the "yellow brick road" clip mentioned in another thread, and I couldn't help but listen to the Reapers clip. Something then occurred to me- the first part we hear, prior to the riff, in that clip doesn't sound to me like anything in the live performances, at any point. Does anyone else know what I'm talking about and can provide an explanation? I mean its got to be there somewhere!

I was going through the instagram clips just now, trying to find the "yellow brick road" clip mentioned in another thread, and I couldn't help but listen to the Reapers clip. Something then occurred to me- the first part we hear, prior to the riff, in that clip doesn't sound to me like anything in the live performances, at any point. Does anyone else know what I'm talking about and can provide an explanation? I mean its got to be there somewhere!

You mean that punk-y sounding part? It's probably just interpreted differently live. I'm sure that clip is more representative of how the song will sound than the live versions anyway.

You mean that punk-y sounding part? It's probably just interpreted differently live. I'm sure that clip is more representative of how the song will sound than the live versions anyway.

Of course of course, live Muse and studio Muse are two rather different beasts. I do prefer that clip's version of the "drones!" shout than Chris's distorted version live, as well. Sounds like the same effect as the one used in SMBH, and it just sounds like he's got he mic in his mouth

I still don't like this. Only thing I like is the outro in that live performance linked here.

It feels disjointed, the hooks just aren't there and with all the regurgitated classic rock elements this just sounds like a vastly lesser cousin of songs it tries to emulate.

I still don't like this. Only thing I like is the outro in that live performance linked here.

It feels disjointed, the hooks just aren't there and with all the regurgitated classic rock elements this just sounds like a vastly lesser cousin of songs it tries to emulate.

that's actually the only thing I don't like about it :LOL: