Do you like Reapers?  

698 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Reapers?

• Yes!!
    • Maybe
    • Nope
    • Electronically arousing

So holy shit I just realized the 1080p 60fps upload of Reapers from Belfast has 85k+ views already. That's pretty insane considering how few the hardcore fanbase is.. I guess the bigger news media reporting on the live debut of the track is what caused Warner to start censoring the audio.

Well, if the iPhone 6 does one thing well is the camera. Sound is pretty nice too, not sure what you're on about, JJ.

There's no Chris is the issue. Drums are a bit too deep overpowering and guitars are tinny and quiet, there's another recording I have that's a bit muddier but you can pretty clearly hear every instrument which I prefer to this one.

There's no Chris is the issue. Drums are a bit too deep overpowering and guitars are tinny and quiet, there's another recording I have that's a bit muddier but you can pretty clearly hear every instrument which I prefer to this one.

Yeah I cannot hear Chris at all (thought it was just my bad bass hearing). So I think it is just bad mixing to blame

I hear Chris quite fine. The guitar (chords) is a bit quiet though yeah.

Damn the lights in the outro at 60fps are amazing.

So holy shit I just realized the 1080p 60fps upload of Reapers from Belfast has 85k+ views already. That's pretty insane considering how few the hardcore fanbase is.. I guess the bigger news media reporting on the live debut of the track is what caused Warner to start censoring the audio.

Yeah, I saw it linked here:

http://musicfeeds.com.au/news/muse-ruled-out-of-soundwave-2016/

Yeah I cannot hear Chris at all (thought it was just my bad bass hearing). So I think it is just bad mixing to blame

I feel like part of it is the live mixing yeah but it also seems to differ depending on who was closer to who's monitor. People standing closest to Chris got more of him in the mix than Matt, etc.

Imagine if phone cameras were at the same level in 2003, and the fanbase's reaction when the first DMG recording came in.

There are rules about upbeat songs in the middle of concept albums?

Considering the narrative of the album Matt gave, yes. The protagonist or whatever you want to call was just turned into a killing machine. The upbeat sound doesn't fit with the narrative but maybe it'll make more sense later.

Considering the narrative of the album Matt gave, yes. The protagonist or whatever you want to call was just turned into a killing machine. The upbeat sound doesn't fit with the narrative but maybe it'll make more sense later.

Such definitive statements. Nothing about the storyline suggest anything that would call for any type of song in any kind of tempo. This whole thing could be told in rap, opera, death metal or bossa nova. Muse may just opt to tell it with what you call upbeat rock. Or with a variety of moods and tempos, or whatever.

Such definitive statements. Nothing about the storyline suggest anything that would call for any type of song in any kind of tempo. This whole thing could be told in rap, opera, death metal or bossa nova. Muse may just opt to tell it with what you call upbeat rock. Or with a variety of moods and tempos, or whatever.

It's the key not the genre I was talking about but ok, yeah technically they could do anything. Just saying it was unusual, not physically impossible.

what does upbeat and slowness have to do the context? we've only heard two songs. Although very likely true, we're not 100% sure this is a full on concept album. there might be different themes in other songs.

I caved in a few days ago and watched on youtube but staying away from setlist spoilers ahead of Friday's gig. Interesting to see Reapers being picked apart so much from some dodgy recordings.

I love the guitar widdlyness (technical term) and the verse. Not so keen on the chorus but I have literally listened once. Will be interesting to find out if the Back In Black bit is on the album. Definitely a lot of classic rock leanings here which isn't really my thing but I don't care if it means Muse have some OOOMPH again :)

For me, the two songs so far have been more exciting than anything on the last two albums so I'm all for it.

Edited by yekim_mikey

I think the "upbeat" mood of Reapers aims to deliver those feelings of euphoria, self-elation, sublime, or downright terror, which explode in a soldier's soul in the middle of a battle or an incoming assault.