Do you like The Globalist?  

397 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like The Globalist?

• Yes
    • Somewhat
    • No

Yeah obviously it doesn't sound exactly like 10 separate songs. Would be weird considering it's basically just two riffs repeated for 5 minutes.

:logic:

I am hoping that the other songs, and even the rest of The Globalist don't sound like stuff we have already heard before though. Defector sounds reminiscent of their earlier stuff, but at the same time not an obvious ripoff.

Sadly that has been the case with the last two albums too. Guiding Light/Vienna. Unnatural Selection/New Born & Lay All Your Love On Me. Explorers/Don't Stop Me Now. Uprising/Call Me & Dr Who & Whatnot.

Oh and Panic Station/Superstition & Another One Bites The Dust.

Isolated system / tubular bells too

USOE has a big Queen kinda ripoff moment too

Big freeze / U2 / motp

Isolated system / tubular bells too

USOE has a big Queen kinda ripoff moment too

Big freeze / U2 / motp

But now I'm talking stuff that's actually ripped off or at least very similar. Big Freeze doesn't sound like any particular U2 song, and in guessing you're referring to the harmonies on USoE?

But now I'm talking stuff that's actually ripped off or at least very similar. Big Freeze doesn't sound like any particular U2 song, and in guessing you're referring to the harmonies on USoE?

True. And yes. Both are kind of a stretch I guess yeah.

It's literally 1/10th of the alleged length of the song. That's not sizeable

Yeah that's why I edited to sizeable from large.. I thought it was about 2 and a bit minutes? Since the acoustic guitar bit is also part of L'arena, and the slide guitar follows the whistling in a very similar vein. Either way, yeah there's still plenty of original stuff to come. We hope! :LOL:

This is a good topic and a big gripe that a lot of people have with Muse's last 2 albums. Go back to everything pre 2009 and how much of it is "...sounds like x"

Mose of Muse's old stuff sounds like Muse and if there were influences they were just that, influences. Not glaringly obvious influences to the point of nearly being ripoffs.

Edited by Citizen_Eraser

This is true, Resistance copied with Collateral damage

Was there anything else?

I dont remember t2l copying anything

Collateral Damage was purposefully a cover. I wonder if Matt will come out saying the intro to The Globalist is a cover. Because its close enough it might as well be considered one.

Collateral Damage was purposefully a cover. I wonder if Matt will come out saying the intro to The Globalist is a cover. Because its close enough it might as well be considered one.

I've suggested this before - it might be listed on the album as something like The Globalist [+ L'arena] (or whatever they retitle it to), but again, as we've seen its on the Making Of specifically as part of TG :shifty:

wow, haven't been in here for three years or something, since T2L was released

I think the whole "oh that song reminds me of these song(s)" has become sligthly ridiculous - to the point that people don't enjoy songs anymore, they're just breaking them down to little pieces and try to trace the influences of each piece. I mean I'm pretty sure many great twelve-bar blues songs sound (very) similar - what does it matter? who cares?

anyway, from what i've heard, the globalist intro's chord progression and whistling melody are different from the l'arena one, the orcehstration, however, is almost identical. imo it sounds similar enough to be an (obvious and intentional) "homage" but not too similar to be a "blatant rip-off".

ok, enough from me now, I'll probably shut up for the next three years anyway, until album no.8 is due

:p

I think the whole "oh that song reminds me of these song(s)" has become sligthly ridiculous - to the point that people don't enjoy songs anymore, they're just breaking them down to little pieces and try to trace the influences of each piece. I mean I'm pretty sure many great twelve-bar blues songs sound (very) similar - what does it matter? who cares?

anyway, from what i've heard, the globalist intro's chord progression and whistling melody are different from the l'arena one, the orcehstration, however, is almost identical. imo it sounds similar enough to be an (obvious and intentional) "homage" but not too similar to be a "blatant rip-off".

ok, enough from me now, I'll probably shut up for the next three years anyway, until album no.8 is due

I agree for the most part.

I agree with this, it's becoming rather annoying.

I agree to an extent. But I simply can't deny BH&R was the first Muse album that featured songs which reminded me overwhelmingly of other acts. Since then, it has only got more noticeable on each subsequent album.

LPs 1-3 sound, to me definitively like Muse, first and foremost. LPs 4-6 sound like Muse, but with very discernible nods to other acts. Not on every track, of course, but I still subconsciously make a distinction.

It does bug me, a bit. I'm sure I'm not the only one who listened to USoE for the first time and immediately thought Queen. Does it bother me? No. It's in moderation, and it's a terrific song. Same for Map Of The Problematique venturing into Depeche Mode territory. It works because it's great.

I just wish I got more of a pang of the twisted originality and/or meld of influences that cane together to inspire the sound on OoS and Absolution. Perhaps it's not even a sound, but rather a mindset or ethos.

I agree to an extent. But I simply can't deny BH&R was the first Muse album that featured songs which reminded me overwhelmingly of other acts. Since then, it has only got more noticeable on each subsequent album.

LPs 1-3 sound, to me definitively like Muse, first and foremost. LPs 4-6 sound like Muse, but with very discernible nods to other acts. Not on every track, of course, but I still subconsciously make a distinction.

It does bug me, a bit. I'm sure I'm not the only one who listened to USoE for the first time and immediately thought Queen. Does it bother me? No. It's in moderation, and it's a terrific song. Same for Map Of The Problematique venturing into Depeche Mode territory. It works because it's great.

I just wish I got more of a pang of the twisted originality and/or meld of influences that cane together to inspire the sound on OoS and Absolution. Perhaps it's not even a sound, but rather a mindset or ethos.

i love this post

I agree. Absolution was the album that, for me, perfected that distinct Muse sound, and from BHaR onwards they started experimenting with different sounds (not a bad thing)! The biggest accusation they've faced, though, is that they are a Radiohead rip-off act, and that accusation refers mostly to their first 3 albums. I think if people want to find something to say, they just will.

As I've said before, I don't really get the 'Radiohead' thing at all - depressing buggers. Muse's music is so much more upbeat and, well, 'listenable'! As for MotP sounding like Depeche Mode, I don't get that either.

Maybe because my taste in music is very constrained, and I only regularly listen to about 5-6 artists, but I don't instantly start comparing Muse songs to other songs/artists. I tend to just enjoy the music as it is, without looking for similarities.

The only really HUGE similarity I've noticed straight away is with Queen, and only in songs with vocal harmonies (e.g. Soldier's Poem). But then again, it's not like Queen are the only band to ever do this, and it doesn't mean that other artists can't use that technique - "Oh no, Queen used vocal harmonies, so we're not allowed to use vocal harmonies".

The problem with music is, it's been around for so long, that every new song will sound like something else if you look and listen hard enough, or if you really want to find fault. Can any song really be called original these days, unless you succeed in creating a whole new genre?