Do you like The Globalist?  

397 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like The Globalist?

• Yes
    • Somewhat
    • No

Judging from what we've heard, the "I wanted to see if I’d be able to once again write a song in the style of our second album ’Origin of Symmetry" seems quite the bullshit statement.

Well remember all the "we wanted to remind ourselves of what we were doing 10 years ago" posturing before the the OOS Reading and Leeds gigs... then we got T2L the next year :LOL:

The intro sounds beautiful but now I'm learning it's a cover/ripoff. I'm not completely sold yet either, nut we shall see. Or hear, more like.

It sure sucks that a large part of the ten minute song isn't original, but there's got to be some reasoning behind it. Then again...

Edit: I say large, I mean... sizeable?

That page isn't official. Nor is it accessible any more.

Also read the rules about questioning mod decisions. Keep it out of the thread.

Are there rules about people who aren't mods moderating the thread? There should be.

I really don't get the "cover" part being included, and don't like the idea at all. It's way too similar for Bellamy to have accidentally plagiarized it, either.

Somewhat concerned considering other parts of the album sound really similar to other songs as well.

Maybe the drone concept is completely based on them doing the same thing everyone else does/has done, including themselves.

It sure sucks that a large part of the ten minute song isn't original, but there's got to be some reasoning behind it. Then again...

Edit: I say large, I mean... sizeable?

It's literally 1/10th of the alleged length of the song. That's not sizeable

Somewhat concerned considering other parts of the album sound really similar to other songs as well.

It can't be as bad as the last 2 albums in terms of sounding similar to other songs

It's literally 1/10th of the alleged length of the song. That's not sizeable

This. We have literally heard about 2 minutes max of a 10 minute song.

Tbh I'd be surprised if it even hits 9 minutes considering Matt's descriptions, and Psycho had one simple riff cover about 4-5 minutes. I feel like the three parts we've heard will be pretty representative of the whole song, but yeah, the intro should only make up a small part of that first third.

Honestly, while I've liked a lot of what we've heard, a LOT of it has that... "this sounds like something..." vibe.

Some obvious and intentional, like all the old riffs, but some others that can be a concern if there are just so MANY of them. For example, the part we've heard on another song that sounds just like the RATM outro...

My biggest question is just "why" to the intro to this song. Maybe I'd feel better if they mentioned it, instead of Matt saying the beginning "sounds like something in a movie" - yeah... IS something out of a movie, you mean...

Honestly, while I've liked a lot of what we've heard, a LOT of it has that... "this sounds like something..." vibe.

Some obvious and intentional, like all the old riffs, but some others that can be a concern if there are just so MANY of them. For example, the part we've heard on another song that sounds just like the RATM outro...

My biggest question is just "why" to the intro to this song. Maybe I'd feel better if they mentioned it, instead of Matt saying the beginning "sounds like something in a movie" - yeah... IS something out of a movie, you mean...

Sadly that has been the case with the last two albums too. Guiding Light/Vienna. Unnatural Selection/New Born & Lay All Your Love On Me. Explorers/Don't Stop Me Now. Uprising/Call Me & Dr Who & Whatnot.

Oh and Panic Station/Superstition & Another One Bites The Dust.

Really? I don't think it's been that bad.

L'Arena, brief US/Soaked melody, Helsinki Jam and Freedom (assuming that's in the final version of Reapers) are the only ones I can think of.

Edit: Oh, and Uprising in Psycho I guess.

Edited by Jobby

Really? I don't think it's been that bad.

L'Arena, brief US/Soaked melody, Helsinki Jam and Freedom (assuming that's in the final version of Reapers) are the only ones I can think of.

We haven't really heard that much, in general, though. It sort of feels like a lot of similarities.

Not my biggest bother, though. Like Tjet said, it's been going on for years. I deal with it.

I would just rather, with this song, hear Matt explain why they used this intro, and had some significance to it, instead of it just feeling like a rip off or random cover.

Psycho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4qoERkCTM8

So 3 songs out of 5 so far have been show to have pretty glaring similarities to already famous songs.

Meh, I feel like you can do that with a lot of songs though. Hell, I always do it with songs on the radio where I twig that there's another famous melody that fits it. I don't really view it as a negative thing.

The similarities we've heard so far just don't bother me I guess. If it sounds good, I'm not really arsed if it's ripping something off.