Holy shit, that's a hell of a setlist. I think I could get why people think that pre-BH&R albums are better, but it's undeniable that there are some great tunes after that, worthy of an entire setlist. Last albums were uneven, but with a lot of fantastic songs.

That's the problem, Muse prefer to promote the UD/Resistance/Madness side of their work even though it's in the minority of their songs, even since BHaR and that jarrs with the older and rock minded fans

Monty Jam type in between makes it smoother maybe. Reapers is pretty strong, and I found KoC a bit jarring already.

I was watching the Moscow 2011 multicam and it was a really nice shorter set, with the festival stage being a really nice balance to let the band be the focus.

Fair enough.

Yeah pretty nice, but honestly I don't really like the sets from TR because the album is simply so much worse than the later two. Much prefer the average Drones set to the average TR set.

Holy shit, that's a hell of a setlist. I think I could get why people think that pre-BH&R albums are better, but it's undeniable that there are some great tunes after that, worthy of an entire setlist. Last albums were uneven, but with a lot of fantastic songs.
Just realised that I even forgot about MK Ultra.

Psycho

The Handler

Supermassive Black Hole

Map of The Problematique

MK Ultra

Reapers

Monty Jam

Redemption

Hoodoo

United States of Eurasia

Animals

Assassin

City of Delusion

Uprising

Starlight

Dead Inside

Panic Station

Defector

Unnatural Selection

Take A Bow

Overture

Supremacy

Knights of Cydonia

Even better.

Yeah, I think Muse fans would enjoy it, though I must admit I'm not a MK Ultra fan, I know a lot of fans truly love it.

What about a live Isolated System? I'm not sure if it'd work live, but it's truly underrated and deserves lots of love. Maybe before the encore, kind of a transition song.

Not a big fan of it myself either actually (MK Ultra, that is), but loads of people are for some reason.

I was gonna do the same sort of setlist for pre-BH&R, but realised quickly that it would basically be what they actually played back in 2003-2004. I'm clearly not all here today.

Not a big fan of it myself either actually (MK Ultra, that is), but loads of people are for some reason.

I was gonna do the same sort of setlist for pre-BH&R, but realised quickly that it would basically be what they actually played back in 2003-2004. I'm clearly not all here today.

Yes, those 2003-2004 sets were pretty much spot on in fan appeal. Today... it's kind of a mix bag. Their shows are good, but they tend to focus a lot on their more mainstream/pop-rock sound (not criticizing it, I actually love some of those songs :LOL:), and less on their more diverse prog-rock side, so...

I think I'll make a CD out of that setlist. I like it, and my friends would be pissed since they all say Muse is shit after BH&R. Maybe that'll change their minds, since all they know are their singles.

Psycho

The Handler

Supermassive Black Hole

Map of The Problematique

MK Ultra

Reapers

Monty Jam

Redemption

Hoodoo

United States of Eurasia

Animals

Assassin

City of Delusion

Uprising

Starlight

Dead Inside

Panic Station

Defector

Unnatural Selection

Take A Bow

Overture

Supremacy

Knights of Cydonia

Even better.

Kinda flows pretty poorly like that :erm: and if you have Supermassive Black Hole do you really need Panic Station? It's a similar thing to having Starlight AND Mercy. Assuming you're also including DS and JFK and if you took out Panic Station, it'd probably flow better this way, although it's still pretty jarring at times, especially at the start. Struggling to find a decent place for Defector tbh.

{D.S.} Psycho

Assassin

The Handler

MK ULTRA

Dead Inside

Map of the Problematique

Supermassive Black Hole

Animals

Knights of Cydonia

Monty Jam

Exogenesis Redemption

Hoodoo

United States of Eurasia

City of Delusion

Starlight

Unnatural Selection

Reapers

Exogenesis Overture

Uprising {riff outro version}

Supremacy

Take a Bow

Kinda flows pretty poorly like that :erm: and if you have Supermassive Black Hole do you really need Panic Station? It's a similar thing to having Starlight AND Mercy. Assuming you're also including DS and JFK and if you took out Panic Station, it'd probably flow better this way, although it's still pretty jarring at times, especially at the start. Struggling to find a decent place for Defector tbh.

{D.S.} Psycho

Assassin

The Handler

MK ULTRA

Dead Inside

Map of the Problematique

Supermassive Black Hole

Animals

Knights of Cydonia

Monty Jam

Exogenesis Redemption

Hoodoo

United States of Eurasia

City of Delusion

Starlight

Unnatural Selection

Reapers

Exogenesis Overture

Uprising {riff outro version}

Supremacy

Take a Bow

What flows badly exactly? Psycho all the way to Reapers make perfect sense, basically a bunch of rock songs. Then piano section after a heavy rockout. Then after the piano section, Animals starts out with a keyboard intro along with a buildup to heavy riffs again, therefore followed by Assassin and a few rock songs, and Uprising basically leads into a poppier section, which ends with Panic Station. And Defector can follow pretty much any song since it has a quite long intro with JFK, so that's no issue. And since it's quite a slow one, it can easily be followed by US which starts with a slow organ. And putting TaB after a rock song has been done many times before and works just fine.

No issues with the encore either.

And what do SMBH and Panic Station have to do with eachother? They were both performed at pretty much every gig in 2012-2014.

And speaking of bad flow, SMBH into Animals into KoC makes very little sense.

Psycho

The Handler

Supermassive Black Hole

Map of The Problematique

MK Ultra

Reapers

Monty Jam

Redemption

Hoodoo

United States of Eurasia

Animals

Assassin

City of Delusion

Uprising

Starlight

Dead Inside

Panic Station

Defector

Unnatural Selection

Take A Bow

Overture

Supremacy

Knights of Cydonia

Even better.

That's a hell of a setlist and I'd love to see it, but the question is would you like to see that or a 03-04 era setlist? I think that's the issue bixer is telling about. We all like their new stuff and they're great, but in comparison 99% we would take their first 3 albums for a gig. Plus imo mercy is great and live is excellent.

That's a hell of a setlist and I'd love to see it, but the question is would you like to see that or a 03-04 era setlist? I think that's the issue bixer is telling about. We all like their new stuff and they're great, but in comparison 99% we would take their first 3 albums for a gig. Plus imo mercy is great and live is excellent.
That's not really the issue that Bixer is talking about at all though. He's basically saying that without certain songs, he would just leave the gig feeling pissed off that song X or song Y wasn't played, so I simply gave an extreme example of how even without their first 3 albums, you can still leave a gig satisfied (at least I could).

The point is that the omission of certain songs does not ruin a gig.

Didn't manage to post until now, so going a bit back: Wow! Take a Bow sounded insane :D!!! B&H real good as well. And as much as I hate what they've done to Blackout, I still have too much love left for it and I'd rather have it than UD. Really interested in what's to come on the last two nights.

Damn it. What a setlist. I went to Werchter and I swear I think I would maybe give it away for this one. Oh and btw why even bother about the band being less popular in the US? Most of the time, the US crowds are pretty dead/snobbish at rock concerts anyway.

Werchter :love:. The Paris set was great, but I would never give Werchter away. Micro Cuts and CE are two of my favorite Muse songs, plus I had a sign asking for exactly those two (though I'm sure they never saw it), so yea, no way I'd give that away :happy:.

Btw: Flag to the left there was hoisted at our campsite, and also made it into the Werchter aftermovie ;):D. Awesome festival, that was :happy:.

As literally everyone in the US was trying to point out before, the stage spreads the crowd REALLY thin, and also has the downside of putting you face to face with the people in the seats, at very close range, whereas normally you wouldn't be focusing on the seats during videos, or looking at them at all in person as they're off to the sides and back.

Mob mentality also contributes to a lot of jumping around, and when it's diffused like this, it's not going to be as prevalent.

But yeah, there doesn't seem to be a huge increase in energy in a lot of those videos. Some, sure, but not what you'd be led to believe with the differences in the way the areas are treated.

Yea, the 360 stage really doesn't seem to help get the crowd going. Back when there was talk about that during the US leg I was hoping that it might look a bit better in Europe. And it does look better judging by videos, but not as good as with a standard end stage. Guess I'll have to wait until I've actually seen it live to properly judge it though. Anyway, this sounds promising:

Night 2 was great , i was with 20 ppl moshing all the gig (yes even during the revolt chorus just to pass the time) so the audience near me was amazing

If we're going to get technical, the fact that it's possible for Muse to construct a decent, if not great, setlist composed of only songs from 2009 and later is kind of meaningless, as that still requires the band to mostly cater to fans of their heavier style. They don't even do that now as they're (somewhat) pulling from their whole catalog.

The old-to-new ratio isn't really the problem with their sets, even though it is generally regarded as fan service to include at least some older material.

I'd probably swap Dead Inside and Uprising around (DI->Tits->Uprising just has a more upward flow to it IMO). Move PS into the first half of the show as well cos it feels out of place in the second half of the set to me and I'm not sold on US into Take A Bow for some reason.

Other than that, it's pretty solid.

Though I've made it abundantly clear about how I feel about the symphony, together and separately.

If we're going to get technical, the fact that it's possible for Muse to construct a decent, if not great, setlist composed of only songs from 2009 and later is kind of meaningless, as that still requires the band to mostly cater to fans of their heavier style. They don't even do that now as they're (somewhat) pulling from their whole catalog.

The old-to-new ratio isn't really the problem with their sets, even though it is generally regarded as fan service to include at least some older material.

What? Don't see the logic here. You can make a setlist that caters to fans of their pop style too ofc, or you can make a mix. Don't see how that matters. And no, the old-to-new ratio isn't the problem, which is basically the point.

The problem is the sets in general, not which individual song or album gets left out.

What? Don't see the logic here. You can make a setlist that caters to fans of their pop style too .

Yes you could, but why? They're never going to actually perform a set like that either, even if it feels like it at recent times. Hey let's all make Muse playlists and post them.

Says you.

If you would then that's fantastic, glad to hear it.

I wouldn't. And you can't say anyone's wrong for saying that.

No but I can question it, which is what I'm doing.

Lets say this was the setlist:

Psycho

The Handler

Dead Star

Map of The Problematique

MK Ultra

Butterflies & Hurricanes

Ruled By Secrecy

Hoodoo

Animals

Assassin

City of Delusion

Sunburn

Muscle Museum

Time Is Running Out

Unnatural Selection

Stockholm Syndrome

Take A Bow

Supremacy

Knights of Cydonia

Showbiz

Would you leave that gig unsatisfied because PIB or Bliss weren't played? And do you honestly think that it's weird that I would question that?

And if your answer is "but their setlists don't look like that", then I refer you to my reply to halo eighteen.

Again though, says you.

This doesn't speak for Muse fans as a whole. Some of us do prefer to hear the older stuff and as fans of the band as a whole, it's not unreasonable for us to want to hear a fair representation of their whole career. Not just 2003 onwards, which is why I made my point about personally being pissed off if they didn't play anything from OoS at a gig I went to. If you don't feel that way then that's perfectly fair enough, but it similarly doesn't make me/us wrong.

Truth be told I'm consistently a little annoyed that they rarely play anything whatsoever from Showbiz when I see them, but that's just become the norm now so I've had to accept it.

I've been constantly adding "Imo" and "I think" to my posts so I don't see why you need to point that out. And I haven't said that you're wrong. I'm saying that I find that mentality a bit weird.

What flows badly exactly? Psycho all the way to Reapers make perfect sense, basically a bunch of rock songs. Then piano section after a heavy rockout. Then after the piano section, Animals starts out with a keyboard intro along with a buildup to heavy riffs again, therefore followed by Assassin and a few rock songs, and Uprising basically leads into a poppier section, which ends with Panic Station. And Defector can follow pretty much any song since it has a quite long intro with JFK, so that's no issue. And since it's quite a slow one, it can easily be followed by US which starts with a slow organ. And putting TaB after a rock song has been done many times before and works just fine.

No issues with the encore either.

And what do SMBH and Panic Station have to do with eachother? They were both performed at pretty much every gig in 2012-2014.

And speaking of bad flow, SMBH into Animals into KoC makes very little sense.

- Animals through to Take a Bow seems really jarring. Lots of stop start, guitar changes and not much fluidity.

- Encore is weird because Exo into Supremacy just doesn't work for me. Supremacy is much better either coming after the piano section or opening the set/starting the encore.

- Uprising into Starlight showed how badly it flows in the stadium gigs on T2L tour.

- Panic Station is probs just down to me not liking it very much.

- Animals was played before Knights a lot on T2L tour and it worked fine for me. Supermassive just fit better there than it did anywhere else in the set as it's more effective early on but had to find a place for all the Drop D riff based songs.

It's just my opinion. Everyone has differing opinions on setlists but for me it was mostly the second half of the main set was really jarring and didn't flow that smoothly.

People can ALWAYS be pissed.

lmao exactly, they could play a setlist like they did on the Psycho tour and some one would still come out and complain about something