Not quite sure I understand this. Are you wanting more or less time between ticketing and show? Because this is quickest turn-around for a major tour I've seen for a long long time. A co-worker just bought tickets for a concert for next October, 2016. Twice I've had Muse tickets that I gave away because of travel. Think it was 2 years between U2 tickets going on sale and them coming to Montreal, albeit due to injuries to Bono. 3 months ticket to show for me is great; plus you knew the second the album was dropped they would be touring off it, just a question of when your town would show up

3 months is the minimum notice I'd like, ideally, not least because that's when the train times are cheapest here!

We've just bought tickets for the Harry Potter play, next October because we couldn't get any earlier in the presale (and then I forgot about the regular sale, oops.) A friend of ours who regularly goes to Hard Rock Hell (festival in a holiday park. Brilliant idea for the old farts among us :chuckle: ) bought tickets for next year before they went to this year's.

It might just be me, but in a 2 hour concert I'd expect more than 21 songs. The other night I saw Frank Turner & the Sleeping Souls play 30 songs in 2 hours. I don't think the average FF song is particularly long either, right?

Yeah Arctic Monkeys did 21 in 90 minutes at Earl's Court and Finsbury Park on the AM Tour. However I was extremely disappointed by the latter, as it had been hyped up to be this big band-defining gig, and it just wasn't, be it bad sound, bored-looking band, and the fact it was the same length as the arena tours, but with a substantially shitter setlist.

Florence and the Machine took 1hr45 to do 16 songs at Alexandra Palace. Although part of that can be accounted for Rabbit Heart (Raise it Up) being something like 7/8 minutes long.

Foos in Milton Keynes in 2011 was better. 26 tracks in 2hr10, Seasick Steve playing a track with Dave Grohl, and Biffy Clyro & Jimmy Eat World being a high quality support. We got 20 in 2hr in 2015, although Grohl's throne was a plus.

I'm not fussed about song count, I do want to feel like I've had a good show for the money/effort. Dragging the subject back to Muse, if you get CE and KoC, and potentially The Globalist, that's 6 songs worth of time in 3 songs, so it's hard to compare.

I agree with Kueller, even as a casual fan, if I pay 70 bucks to see a show, I'm going to be pissed if I only 60 to 90 minutes of music.

I'm sure Muse will come back and do more secondary markets, but if these ticket prices are the new normal, I don't think we'll go this time. I don't love Drones, anyway. No reason to pay $75 a piece for 6 of us to see a short set of songs Im not even that fussed about.

Just for comparison, Pearl Jam played in Bolivia last week: 3 hours and 29 songs. They're ten years older than Muse. At this point I feel like it's just laziness.

Edit: correction it was Chile.

Edited by altbecky

21-ish songs is a good measure from Muse and when I saw them play that in the last arena tour I left satisfied. They seem pretty tired by the end of that length too. Song count really is a silly metric, and especially for Muse their song lengths can be sporadic.

I don't mind jams, it's a decent part of the concert unless it's excessive like in The Resistance era.

Really as long as they play a good length I'm fine. From experience a concert micro-optmized in banter and song count hasn't correlated to my enjoyment as much as just letting things happen.

Just for comparison, Pearl Jam played in Bolivia last week: 3 hours and 29 songs. They're ten years older than Muse. At this point I feel like it's just laziness.

Edit: correction it was Chile.

Wasn't it Pearl Jam that Dom A compared the band to when people were complaining about ticket prices a few months ago as well, like "Well, we're charging the same as them ¯\_(ツ)_/¯".

If so then, Jesus Christ, that's a bit of a skewed justification considering they're playing literally twice as long as Muse.

Song count is a silly metric. I mean, a band like Tool might play for two hours and only get through 11 or 12 songs.
But we're all Muse fans, shouldn't it be quite simple for us to work out how many songs a band like Muse should be able to play? They don't really have that many songs over five minutes. Don't see why we need to generalise when we know exactly how long Muse's songs are.

Not to mention that the gig length actually HAS been mentioned in pretty much every post on the subject, so I don't see who you're talking to.

Wasn't it Pearl Jam that Dom A compared the band to when people were complaining about ticket prices a few months ago as well, like "Well, we're charging the same as them ¯\_(ツ)_/¯".

If so then, Jesus Christ, that's a bit of a skewed justification considering they're playing literally twice as long as Muse.

Right? The only justification I can think of, is that you get a SHOW with Muse. Fucking lasers and helium Drones and shit. I think that's the expense that probably justifies the jack in ticket prices. I don't think PJ does much production beyond lighting.

But we're all Muse fans, shouldn't it be quite simple for us to work out how many songs a band like Muse should be able to play? They don't really have that many songs over five minutes. Don't see why we need to generalise when we know exactly how long Muse's songs are.

Not to mention that the gig length actually HAS been mentioned in pretty much every post on the subject, so I don't see who you're talking to.

It's a fairly arbitrary metric that doesn't actually equate to a good show. I mean it's not as if they played that many songs in the revered early-mid 200's era that people tend to waffle on about. Obviously if I'm paying $120 for a gig I want to get my moneys worth, but the lengths of these recent shows wouldn't necessarily get in the way of that so long as the showmanship and song selection is good. Quality over quantity and all that.

Besides, that 3 hour Pearl Jam concert sounds awful.

It's a fairly arbitrary metric that doesn't actually equate to a good show. I mean it's not as if they played that many songs in the revered early-mid 200's era that people tend to waffle on about. Obviously if I'm paying $120 for a gig I want to get my moneys worth, but the lengths of these recent shows wouldn't necessarily get in the way of that so long as the showmanship and song selection is good. Quality over quantity and all that.

Besides, that 3 hour Pearl Jam concert sounds awful.

Yeah but now you changed your point completely, so obviously that's not what my comment was about.

Quality of quantity yes, but there should still be enough of both to warrant the price. The time Muse spend on the stage is not worth the price imo.

Yeah but now you changed your point completely, so obviously that's not what my comment was about.

Quality of quantity yes, but there should still be enough of both to warrant the price. The time Muse spend on the stage is not worth the price imo.

Well no, my comment was that it's an arbitrary number.

How long is the average Muse setlist this tour? An hour and a half?

Right? The only justification I can think of, is that you get a SHOW with Muse. Fucking lasers and helium Drones and shit. I think that's the expense that probably justifies the jack in ticket prices. I don't think PJ does much production beyond lighting.

Thing is, Muse didn't even have much of a production for the South America leg (the one fans were complaining about prices for) so they can't use that as an excuse. They just charged full price for what ended up being half-arsed 'practice' gigs.

How long is the average Muse setlist this tour? An hour and a half?

About that, yeah. Cut away the riffs, jams, intros etc. and it probably ends up being about 1hr10-15 of actual songs.

If we take the average length of a Muse song to be four minutes, give or take a minute (save for exceptions like CE, US, Reapers), 120 mins / four = 30 songs.

Take off 20 minutes for guitar changes and faffery, stilted crowd chatter, the same old tired 'jams' and noodling and I feel we should be looking at 25 songs, again, give or take one or two on account of what songs they actually choose to play.

Tbh, I simply can't see what would be so difficult about playing balanced, well rotated sets of 24 songs each night from a roster of, say, 40 songs.

Drones - 10

Others - Agitated, Dead Star, Fury, The Groove

The 2nd Law - Supremacy, Madness, Survival, Animals, Unsustainable

The Resistance - Uprising, Resistance, United States Of Eurasia, Unnatural Selection

Black Holes & Revelations - Take A Bow, Starlight, Supermassive Black Hole, Map Of The Problematique, Assassin, Knights Of Cydonia

Absolution - Apocalypse Please, Time Is Running Out, Stockholm Syndrome, Hysteria, Butterflies & Hurricanes

Origin Of Symmetry - New Born, Bliss, Plug In Baby, Citizen Erased, Micro Cuts

Showbiz - Sunburn, Muscle Museum

If we take the average length of a Muse song to be four minutes, give or take a minute (save for exceptions like CE, US, Reapers), 120 mins / four = 30 songs.

Take off 20 minutes for guitar changes and faffery, stilted crowd chatter, the same old tired 'jams' and noodling and I feel we should be looking at 25 songs, again, give or take one or two on account of what songs they actually choose to play.

Tbh, I simply can't see what would be so difficult about playing balanced, well rotated sets of 24 songs each night from a roster of, say, 40 songs.

Drones - 10

Others - Agitated, Dead Star, Fury, The Groove

The 2nd Law - Supremacy, Madness, Survival, Animals, Unsustainable

The Resistance - Uprising, Resistance, United States Of Eurasia, Unnatural Selection

Black Holes & Revelations - Take A Bow, Starlight, Supermassive Black Hole, Map Of The Problematique, Assassin, Knights Of Cydonia

Absolution - Apocalypse Please, Time Is Running Out, Stockholm Syndrome, Hysteria, Butterflies & Hurricanes

Origin Of Symmetry - New Born, Bliss, Plug In Baby, Citizen Erased, Micro Cuts

Showbiz - Sunburn, Muscle Museum

Exactly this.

From the list you gave they could easily pull 2-3 songs from all of the non-Drones categories and have a great setlist. An example could be

10 Drones songs

Dead Star

Survival, Animals

Uprising, Unnatural Selection

Supermassive, Knights, Assassin

Time is Running Out, Stockholm, Apocalypse Please

Bliss, Plug in Baby, Citizen Erased

Sunburn

25 songs, good blend of new album songs, hits and rarities. It requires minimal extra effort on their behalf to rehearse whatever hasn't been played lately.

I don't really know how much we'll see from the LA rehearsal tbf. I get the feeling they'll be really strict on cameras or recording devices and we'll only really know glimpses about it until it appears in Mexico City in a week's time.

Saying that, I do recall when they had a pre-NA tour rehearsal in San Diego for The 2nd Law arena tour, there was a fair bit of rehearsal video put on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7WKLbb5oU0