What? They are playing 6 nights in Milan and Paris...

In the US. Rock doesn't sell in the US. My bad for not being clear.

I still can think a lot of rock bands who sell out.

There are no "big" modern (Bruce & U2 are old) rock bands that sell out arenas in the US anymore. When NIN, Radiohead and even Roger Waters can't sell in the US...rock is dead.

Edited by ninsp

In the US. Rock doesn't sell in the US. My bad for not being clear.

There are no "big" modern (Bruce & U2 are old) rock bands that sell out arenas in the US anymore. When NIN, Radiohead and even Roger Waters can't sell in the US...rock is dead.

Yeah, Foo Fighters are like the youngest band out there that can sell out arenas

Foo Fighters has been playing some stadiums this summer, they don't struggle.

Can't think of new rock bands anyway just Imagine Dragons if it counts, they do sell out. Coldplay and Linkin Park must be the youngest but they have been selling arenas for a while (especially LP) so not really new.

Edited by White Heat

Foo Fighters has been playing some stadiums this summer, they don't struggle.

Can't think of new rock bands anyway just Imagine Dragons if it counts, they do sell out. Coldplay and Linkin Park must be the youngest but they have been selling arenas for a while (especially LP) so not really new.

I was under the assumption that the US gig market was polarised, with the main sales for rock being in the biggest markets (New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, plus a few other West/East coast cities), and a lot of other areas, less so.

Foo Fighters are absolutely not struggling in America; they're probably bigger right now than they've ever been. Pearl Jam are still a very successful live act. The Cure also pretty much instantaneously sold out 3 nights each at the Hollywood Bowl and MSG for next year, as well as 2 Chicago arena shows. There's plenty of successful rock bands, but I agree it is usually reserved for the more established legacy acts. Certainly 90s alt-rock relics aren't nearly at the same level anymore (NIN as has been mentioned, Smashing Pumpkins, Marilyn Manson, Garbage, etc).

Muse could absolutely be bigger here with better marketing/promotion/management. At the same time, it's nice to actually be able to effortlessly get Muse tickets. It's really no fun trying to waste an hour clicking, searching for tickets to an instant sell-out show.

Foo Fighters are absolutely not struggling in America; they're probably bigger right now than they've ever been. Pearl Jam are still a very successful live act. The Cure also pretty much instantaneously sold out 3 nights each at the Hollywood Bowl and MSG for next year, as well as 2 Chicago arena shows. There's plenty of successful rock bands, but I agree it is usually reserved for the more established legacy acts. Certainly 90s alt-rock relics aren't nearly at the same level anymore (NIN as has been mentioned, Smashing Pumpkins, Marilyn Manson, Garbage, etc).

Muse could absolutely be bigger here with better marketing/promotion/management. At the same time, it's nice to actually be able to effortlessly get Muse tickets. It's really no fun trying to waste an hour clicking, searching for tickets to an instant sell-out show.

Does Radiohead sell out arenas in the US?

I think bigger and bigger arenas might have something to do with it. Everyone on here who has tickets for North American shows on this site probably has great tickets tks to presales. After the fan pre-sale, was the promoters presales. By the time 'regular' ticket sales start, there is very little left. As much as I like Muse, I kinda doubt I would pay to see them, or anyone else in the upper-deck of a modern hockey arena. Maybe I'm snobbish, but being that far back just doesn't interest me, especially if it isn't a sold-out show. Wonder what others here would think with the prospect of not so great tickets vs not going.

First off, we're not talking about 90s acts, we're talking about current rock bands. In addition, most major rock bands sell out/well the major markets, still. The discussion here was struggling in every other city, such as Detroit, for example.

Foo Fighters don't immediately sell out; while they do sell out usually, they don't in the smaller markets. They're a 90s legacy act, anyway. Pearl Jam doesn't sell out anymore; they may come close or do in NYC, Chicago, LA...but so does Muse. The Cure sells terribly outside of NYC, Chicago and LA. Imagine Dragons doesn't play all the arenas, they play smaller theaters, but occasionally play arenas, and don't sell them out. There are no modern rock bands that sell out arenas consistently. And look, I realize that Muse are getting up there, but as far as being "big" in America, Muse is pretty much 2006-on. NIN and Radiohead aren't 90s relics and putting them in the same category as far as selling like Manson or the Pumpkins or Garbage is hilariously wrong, especially when you reference Pearl Jam. NIN sell about as well as Radiohead, which is good, but still around 8-10K...which is what Muse will sell in most places here.

In DFW, most of the lower bowl is sold out and most of the tickets in the lower bowl left in Houston are in the worst spot in the lower bowl. Muse are selling fine in the larger markets. This complaint is stupid, rock is dead in the US, Muse is the last remaining relic. Lower level tickets on Stubhub are going for about $100. There is plenty of demand.

Edited by ninsp

I don't know how realiable wikipedia is for this kind of things but if you take a look at Imagine Dragons current tour (Smoke and Mirrors) it's all arenas and they are sold out or at 90%.

Problem is, what new rock bands? Is Imagine Dragons even rock really...

In the UK, not in the US. In the US they've been playing arenas in the major markets and selling out or coming close. In smaller markets they are playing in smaller theaters.

And, no, Imagine Dragons isn't rock. Indie pop. Not guitar-oriented rock like Muse...which doesn't sell anymore. As much as we'd like to think, if Muse went all pure rock again, they would face plant commercially, at least in the states.

This is all depending on what exactly constitutes as "modern rock" - Mumford & Sons? They're doing just fine. 20,000 sell out in North Carolina and 35,000 in Chicago. I suspect Coldplay will likewise pull in strong numbers when they tour next year. Arcade Fire were doing multi-night stints in arenas in several cities on their last tour. Twenty One Pilots are also doing a very extensive large venue tour next year.

There is a glaring lack of "modern rock" on this list below I suppose, but yet still some rock bands.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/business/6406028/boxscore-top-tours-2014-rolling-stones-live-nation

I think bigger and bigger arenas might have something to do with it. Everyone on here who has tickets for North American shows on this site probably has great tickets tks to presales. After the fan pre-sale, was the promoters presales. By the time 'regular' ticket sales start, there is very little left. As much as I like Muse, I kinda doubt I would pay to see them, or anyone else in the upper-deck of a modern hockey arena. Maybe I'm snobbish, but being that far back just doesn't interest me, especially if it isn't a sold-out show. Wonder what others here would think with the prospect of not so great tickets vs not going.

That isn't how the pre-sales working in the US, either.

There was a wedge of tickets released that was a small percentage of the total tickets, ranging from GA up to 2nd tier.

This is the same for ALL pre-sales, whether fan or venue/Ticketmaster, although if they occur at the same time, sometimes they double dip from the same ticket pool.

The general sale just seems like there's "nothing left" because even though there's the majority of tickets on sale, there's vastly more people buying those tickets.

Sadly, casual and new fans never seem to know to sign up for the mailing lists to get the presale codes, and I promise you scalpers have dozens, if not hundreds, of accounts.

This isn't an issue of "rock not selling in the US" it's an issue of Muse not having the pull in most areas here. Whether "rock" is still a genre here or not.

Promotion for the gigs has even been uneven state to state; advertising onsale dates for shows 2 months in advance (if that) if you're following a band on Twitter/etc isn't a good business model.

People have said there's commercials out there for the tour, but how effective are they on such short notice, if the band isn't big in that area to begin with?

Where was the big push for the album after the first week?

They need to either put some money into promotion, or admit to maybe needing a smaller stage set up.

This highly localized, micro-tour of the US is bs, imo.

That isn't how the pre-sales working in the US, either.

There was a wedge of tickets released that was a small percentage of the total tickets, ranging from GA up to 2nd tier.

This is the same for ALL pre-sales, whether fan or venue/Ticketmaster, although if they occur at the same time, sometimes they double dip from the same ticket pool.

The general sale just seems like there's "nothing left" because even though there's the majority of tickets on sale, there's vastly more people buying those tickets.

Sadly, casual and new fans never seem to know to sign up for the mailing lists to get the presale codes, and I promise you scalpers have dozens, if not hundreds, of accounts.

This isn't an issue of "rock not selling in the US" it's an issue of Muse not having the pull in most areas here. Whether "rock" is still a genre here or not.

Promotion for the gigs has even been uneven state to state; advertising onsale dates for shows 2 months in advance (if that) if you're following a band on Twitter/etc isn't a good business model.

People have said there's commercials out there for the tour, but how effective are they on such short notice, if the band isn't big in that area to begin with?

Where was the big push for the album after the first week?

They need to either put some money into promotion, or admit to maybe needing a smaller stage set up.

This highly localized, micro-tour of the US is bs, imo.

Wrong.

As always, you sound like a drooling fanboy with no grip on reality.

Wrong.

Very informative.

Thanks for the fanboy nod, though. I've been considered quite negative about the band recently. Variety is the spice of life.

Although I fail to see where I was at all complimentary of Muse in my post. I think their management company is quite shit.

Unless you were referring to my information on the pre-sales, which I can assure you, at least where Ticketmaster was involved, is quite correct.

Wrong.

Wait, you come back here every once in a while to remind us all that we should shut up and stop complaining, and then you accuse others of being drooling fanboys for being NEGATIVE?

Yeah about that reality that you speak of...

Aw, my fantasy of being non-negative for a moment, crushed. :chuckle:

Anyways, here's the interview, which come to think of it, I was probably talking about in the other tour thread. I get them confused.

Haven't listened to it yet; still can't figure out how to re-enable sound on my work computer, but helium "drones" confirmed.

Very informative.

Thanks for the fanboy nod, though. I've been considered quite negative about the band recently. Variety is the spice of life.

Although I fail to see where I was at all complimentary of Muse in my post. I think their management company is quite shit.

Unless you were referring to my information on the pre-sales, which I can assure you, at least where Ticketmaster was involved, is quite correct.

You think your minute, irrelevant complaints are causing the band not to sell well. When no rock band sells well in the US. Thus a fanboy. No casual or most hardcore Muse fans care if they play 16 songs or 20 songs. Isolated to about 20 people a show who browse .mu.

It's hardly an irrelevant complaint that tickets have gone on sale within 6 weeks of the start of the tour, with high ticket prices. People need time to arrange this stuff. My second-favourite band are touring here next Feb, tickets on sale now and I can't buy any because I can't commit to the dates.