I'd be extremely satisfied with the album, if it had an Unnatural Selection/MK Ultra sound, it would probably kick ass. With that being said, I'm quite conflicted about Psycho, I like it, but at the same time I hate it... dunno why really

:eek:

Someone on Reddit of all places made a sergeant-free version and it really does improve the whole thing more than you'd think.

Really, what is the point of having to "try" this hard to like a song? If you don't like it then you don't. It's dumb to me when it gets to the point that you choose to edit the song yourself to the way you want it.

Really, what is the point of having to "try" this hard to like a song? If you don't like it then you don't. It's dumb to me when it gets to the point that you choose to edit the song yourself to the way you want it.

Maybe the guy was just curious as to what it would sound like without those parts and liked what it turned out like.

Maybe the guy was just curious as to what it would sound like without those parts and liked what it turned out like.

I get that that's a possibility, but if anyone's been to a Muse gig they should know how that sounds like. It's not like the sergeant's even remotely loud in the mix.

Dom plays more for the song than to show off his technical skill that is still clearly shown in many tracks. His drumming on Muse's heavier tracks perfectly supplements the songs so they don't become overly complicated and are rhythmically sound while still creating interesting drum parts to a song.

The drumming in Psycho, while maybe a bit similar to Uprising fits the song perfectly and his drumming with the main riff makes the guitar riff so much more powerful.

I thought it could groove a little more, personally.

Definitely. The presence of double bass is usually an indicator of some faster drumming. I just hope the double bass dosnt sound tacked on just for the sake of being heavy.

I'm hoping we get a bit of Abe Cunningham-style double-kick bounce on the mid tempo tracks. I feel a bit of that might have enhanced Psycho.

Yeah, I like the mixing with the drums. The sound's not as heavy as you'd get with Gojira, for example, but then it doesn't have to be.

I don't know if anyone else has mentioned this but hearing this song makes me realize precisely why we'll never have "old" Muse back. It has to do with the vocals.

Matt is way too in love with his new voice (which sounds unbelievably good) on the past 3 albums (counting this one). The way he delivers lines was always dramatic but now its reaching higher levels of overblown-ness (that is not a word yes). He drags out one syllable words for way too long and over-enunciates everything to flex his vocal prowess. And yes it sounds amazing. I'm not complaining at all his voice is seriously good and I quite enjoy it. But if you took this songs same instrumental, and same lyrics, and Matt sung them like it was SS or Dead Star or something while also removing the drill instructor bits this would be quintessential old Muse. And I don't think at that point people would be calling it cheesy or jokey, apart from the "ass belongs to me now" part. People say the lyrics are cheesy, even old Muse had bad lyrics but no one considered it cheese until the last few albums because of the way Matt delivers those lines.

At the very oldest this song as it sits sounds like something on Black Holes.

I don't know if anyone else has mentioned this but hearing this song makes me realize precisely why we'll never have "old" Muse back. It has to do with the vocals.

Matt is way too in love with his new voice (which sounds unbelievably good) on the past 3 albums (counting this one). The way he delivers lines was always dramatic but now its reaching higher levels of overblown-ness (that is not a word yes). He drags out one syllable words for way too long and over-enunciates everything to flex his vocal prowess. And yes it sounds amazing. I'm not complaining at all his voice is seriously good and I quite enjoy it. But if you took this songs same instrumental, and same lyrics, and Matt sung them like it was SS or Dead Star or something while also removing the drill instructor bits this would be quintessential old Muse. And I don't think at that point people would be calling it cheesy or jokey, apart from the "ass belongs to me now" part. People say the lyrics are cheesy, even old Muse had bad lyrics but no one considered it cheese until the last few albums because of the way Matt delivers those lines.

At the very oldest this song as it sits sounds like something on Black Holes.

Good point IMO

Good point IMO

I noticed it as soon as the verse kicked in on my first listen. Because honestly after all the way they've talked about going back to their roots, and after the instagram teaser with the "make you, break you" bit I was expecting something with more of an old Matt vocal style. Something a bit more raw Matt, not extremely smooth perfect vocal Matt. And then once the verse kicked in I realized yeah we're never getting that back.

I disagree. The lyrics weren't as literal in the old albums. The total absence of subtlety is what makes them cheesy. It's not just the way he delivers them

Thats the secondary point I forgot to include. Those two things combined are what do it. Your point also fits with mine being that its been from TR and on. But go back and look at some of their old lyrics in text form. Alot of them are still very "cheesy" although maybe not quite as direct. They're just not as in your face because not only are they more subtle but their delivery is more subtle.

Thats the secondary point I forgot to include. Those two things combined are what do it. Your point also fits with mine being that its been from TR and on. But go back and look at some of their old lyrics in text form. Alot of them are still very "cheesy" although maybe not quite as direct. They're just not as in your face because not only are they more subtle but their delivery is more subtle.

But for example the dragging out of one-syllabe words has been there since at least Abso (SS, B&H, TaB).

And no, I don't remember anything as cheesy as "I'll turn you into a super drone" in the old albums.

But for example the dragging out of one-syllabe words has been there since at least Abso (SS, B&H).

And no, I don't remember anything as cheesy as "I'll turn you into a super drone" in the old albums.

Super drone is cool, in fact I would change my username to it given the choice.

Edited by CatchHellBlues

But for example the dragging out of one-syllabe words has been there since at least Abso (SS, B&H).

But the way he does it is different than on that album. Idk how to explain it but its not just that his voice sounds better. There's more to it than that. Maybe this song could've been helped by some Small Print live style vocal distortion and Yes Please style delivery.

This songs vocal delivery is similar to Madness with a little faster pace imo.

But the way he does it is different than on that album. Idk how to explain it but its not just that his voice sounds better. There's more to it than that. Maybe this song could've been helped by some Small Print live style vocal distortion and Yes Please style delivery.

Not super enough.

This songs vocal delivery is similar to Madness with a little faster pace imo.

Yeah his voice is more mature now.