I'm waiting for a post that doesn't include 'I wish they sounded more like (insert band)'. Wasn't that the main complaint about the last album? That the songs sounded too much like other bands?

No one is saying they want Muse to sound like other bands...

I can see where people are coming from in relation to being influenced, rather than directly copying. In Showbiz there were elements that Muse were fantastic with Piano music and what with Matts classical learnings he then channeled that into Origin of Symmetry with Megalmania being a fine example of a spark of interest (classical music), being channeled into something new.

Whereas with the last album it appears that he's into the grandios and bombast of Queen - and given how great a guitar player Brian May is it's perfectly understandable. But Madness for instance was identical to a Queen song!

I recall Muse saying how they were going to experiment with Dubstep and given the sound Matt gets from his guitar I can see how this would have been a success - but all we got was a token bit in one song wtf?

Whereas with the last album it appears that he's into the grandiosity and bombast of Queen - and given how great a guitar player Brian May is it's perfectly understandable. But Madness for instance was identical to a Queen song!

Well, it wasn't really. Follow Me was more problematic in that regard.

I recall Muse saying how they were going to experiment with Dubstep and given the sound Matt gets from his guitar I can see how this would have been a success - but all we got was a token bit in one song wtf?

Well, they did experiment with dubstep so there's that. For me though, the result's kinda underwhelming on Unsustainable, and the early teaser didn't help to dampen the impression that T2L was "going" to be a dubstep album to some fans when its not. Still remember how my spirit dropped along with the bass drop. :LOL: There's also the "wub-wub" in Madness (albeit a minor little thing) and Follow Me's drum pattern.

I think it's more about not liking what they've tried to take from dubstep. The whole thing was just way too diverse so the influences were all over the place, not many areas where some elements can go along with each other with their apparent genre hopping. Imagine a mix of Panic Station's funk, Unsustainable's orchestra + dubstep and Explorers' Christmas percussion.

After Unsustainable though, I don't think Survival helped very much in laying people's worries to rest. :chuckle:

Archived