I'd rather a conceptual album with similar lyrics and musical ideas instead of a mixture of random unrelated songs.

But maybe I'm biased because BH&R is one of my favourite albums... :unsure:

I'd say most people agree with you.

I'd rather a conceptual album with similar lyrics and musical ideas instead of a mixture of random unrelated songs.

I agree. But the last three have smacked of unnecessary pretension, to me. Absolution loose lyrical and musical theme worked perfectly.

The last three have been simultaneously overly conceptual and wildly dissimilar at times.

That said, I'd be happy for them to have a horrible artwork if the music is great

The only reason i care about the artwork is it's directly related to the merch. This tour, I reluctantly bought the brain with all the dates and the Shepherd's Bush t-shirt even though I didn't go to the gig.

The Resistance I nearly bought every single one, BH&R I bought a lot of with the exception of the star pony and the people kissing.

Absolution shirts I still have but they weren't of the highest quality but at least they looked good at the time.

The only reason i care about the artwork is it's directly related to the merch. This tour, I reluctantly bought the brain with all the dates and the Shepherd's Bush t-shirt even though I didn't go to the gig.

The Resistance I nearly bought every single one, BH&R I bought a lot of with the exception of the star pony and the people kissing.

Absolution shirts I still have but they weren't of the highest quality but at least they looked good at the time.

That's ridiculous. You're not obliged to buy tour merch.

lol

I actually like their stuff when it isn't a brain or whatever. Really liked the hexagon designs, especially the MK Ultra one. Keep in mind this is over the course of 10 years.

There's no problem with buying stuff you like, but you said that you bought something you didn't. That's what I'm questioning.

I wish Muse would stop hawking these huge, grandiose, unifying themes for their albums. The only one that has worked for me is Absolution.

BH&R is a mess of 'oh, how cool and deep is space, gice? - HOW DAMN COOL?', The Resistance is all 'oh we're so in love but STFU governments' and The 2nd Law makes no sense at all.

The 2nd Law is a metaphor for Muse running out of ideas.

I haven't really liked the artwork for any Muse album since Absolution.

BH&R was great too, but nothing will ever top the OoS inserts for me. Beeeeans :awesome:

The only artwork I really didn't like was T2L.

Abso being my fav, but TR and BH&R were pretty great, imo, too.

And I own a few Muse shirts, but all of them are ones that don't feature album art or the band logo prominently, and I wear them around under jackets a lot, feeling confident I don't really look like I'm wearing a "band" shirt. :LOL:

Except I did buy the T2L ladies shirt that used the brain art, but it was sort of exploding. (Haven't seen that one in the shop for along time.)

At the time I felt that pretty much illustrated my life.

I don't wear it as much, though, because people do recognize it a bit and ask me about it, even in the US.

And I don't think T2L really stuck to its "concept" all that much... other than Matt saying it pertained to "everything."

Weren't people complaining about how they didn't stick to the premise, before?

"the concept is about how everything is live is unsustainable. That includes relationships, power, the government, sports and pretty much every other topic you could think of"

Or you could just listen to Unsustainable if you need thermodynamics half-arsedly explained to you.

A rock band based on endless growth is...

But it's the contrary of running out of ideas. They had too many at once

Meh. Their only idea is "How many genres can we fit into one album" and not a single one of them is very original. It's just "Muse takes on established genre by fitting its main elements into the typical Muse song".

Or the entropy theme was just something Bellamy read in a magazine once, found interesting, and pasted onto a few songs and an album title because he thought it sounded cool, and we're putting way too much thought into it...

Seriously. I don't think the concept was exactly touched upon in nearly all of the songs, unless it was (as Tjet said,) just the idea that the laws of physics say that everything is going to shit eventually.

Seriously. I don't think the concept was exactly touched upon in nearly all of the songs, unless it was (as Tjet said,) just the idea that the laws of physics say that everything is going to shit eventually.

That's the actual description Muse have given themselves. (obviously not word for word as I said it but still)

Exactly... which means we're complaining about Muse making a conceptual album about a topic that - very loosely - pertains to everything. :LOL:

I don't believe the "theme" or lack of, is harming or holding back their albums in any way. I can absolutely see how the genre hopping is not to a lot of people's tastes, though.

I think the only reason I've liked it is because it limits the probability of them sticking with one of the genres that I really don't like, and making an entire album that puts me off, instead of maybe just a few songs on the album.

I really don't ever listen to an album all the way through anymore, either.

I just don't have time for the most part.

I load everything into my iPod, and just randomize it more often than not.

Archived