I too have wondered what is the point of music videos since the death of music TV channels. However, they do have some regained relevance since Billboard at least has begun to factor in Youtube views for chart posistions. In the pop world at least music videos still do matter, I'm sure in rock the significance in much lower.

I don't think any official Muse video is particularly amazing. Good Muse videos at least include Sing for Absolution (my first contact with Muse was watching that video btw), SMBH for itw weirdness, Knights is pretty fun as is Uprising. Madness could be best described as competent.

And who cares about album or singles sales these days? The way to make money now is with live gigs, the bigger the better.

Who's going to shell out $60 for a concert ticket to see a gig of a band they've never heard of?

Marketing has to start somewhere...

Singles are still really important, imo, as is the promotion of them.

I agree, Follow Me could have been MASSIVE, and instead no one made an effort.

After WWZ, just based on the strength of the instrumental, I have people at work and in the neighborhood who have the full song on their iPods or phones.

Videos, on the other hand, I agree are dead.

Except for shock value, and lame ass "viral" joke crap on YouTube, of course.

Which is why I think adding YouTube views to charts is a tragic reminder of the state of entertainment right now. :noey:

And Bliss was the best video, followed by Panic Station and Invincible. :phu:

Archived