How would you change The 2nd Law?

Niall

Scrap it, recall it, divorce the band wrecker Kate Hudson, and go back to the drawing board.

This entire album is a nightmare with zero redeeming qualities. Just saw them on SNL and both Christopher Wolstenholme and Dominic Howard looked like they were grimacing after the last song they played. HORNs?!? I mean really, horns?!? The only one who looked benignly pleased was Matt and he looked extremely smug about the catastrophe.

This album is a piece of shit, I am almost embarrassed to call myself a Muse fan now. WTF happened here? The only thing I can think of is that someone has got a serious case of "found me some hot ass, pretend to be unique and not a fame whore, piece of pussy".

That's it...Matt needs to pull his head out of his anus and hope he and Kate don't tear the band apart. Freakin' god damned shame!

Except Kate isn't a hot piece of ass. She is average at best, so your argument is flawed.

Awful trolling btw.

The only thing I'd change is the tracklisting. Unfortunately, even though I like these songs, the trio of Explorers -> Big Freeze - > Save Me has questionable track ordering. Also, the transition between Unsustainable and Isolated System is the worst oversight this band has done. Luckily, we have playlists!

1. The 2nd Law: Unsustainable

2. Madness

3. Panic Station

4. Save Me

5. Prelude

6. Survival

7. Liquid State

8. Follow Me

9. Animals

10. Big Freeze

11. Supremacy

12. Explorers

13. The 2nd Law: Isolated System (Instrumental)

Just my personal opinion:

I do like the 2nd law. It is fresh and I have the feeling that the band had really grown up... They are pushing their limits of making music. There are some pop songs and some funk songs, some heavy stuff, some dubstep, and some "oldschool Muse" moments.

I do not wish to agree with the tons of fans raging about missing OOS, Absolution, BHAR, Resistance, etc... As the people forming Muse are all artists, they have the right to write new material, carry out musical experiments, change and mature. They are not here to satisfy all of us, they are not prostitutes. I think -- as fans -- we are here to support Muse, not to have expectations or requests...

You are doing well, Muse! Go on! :-)

Finally, someone talking sense!

There are 2 Muse camps (if you're an "old" Muser) the OOS camp and the Absolution camps. I am firmly in the Absolution camp, it is my favourite album but I do not want to see Absolution rehashed with every new album release. It's a perfect album in its own right as are all the other albums.

I love how Muse try something different every time, they're a prog rock band and prog means progressive which is about growth and experimentation.

If Muse brought out a rehash of an old album there'd be a whole bunch of forum threads complaining about how they don't try anything new and that it's all the same

You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time

Personally I think The 2nd Law gets better every time I listen to it, the only track I'm not keen on is Animals and that's mostly to do with how it ends but the rest of it is fantastic with some beautiful moments

And those people hating on Kate Hudson - grow up, Matt's and the other guys' personal lives are absolutely nothing to do with us.

Except Kate isn't a hot piece of ass. She is average at best, so your argument is flawed.

First off,

:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Secondly,

Stop calling everyone who hates Kate Hudson a misogynist. They are just outright stupid.

Thirdly,

The 2nd Law: Unsustainable

Supremacy

Prelude

Survival

Panic Station

Animals

Madness

Explorers

The 2nd Law: Isolated System

Something like that. I haven't worked out all the kinks yet. Nor even listened to it like that. But ... on topic.

There are 2 Muse camps (if you're an "old" Muser) the OOS camp and the Absolution camps. I am firmly in the Absolution camp, it is my favourite album but I do not want to see Absolution rehashed with every new album release. It's a perfect album in its own right as are all the other albums.

So you have to be either an OoS'er or an Absolutioner?

First off,

:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Secondly,

Stop calling everyone who hates Kate Hudson a misogynist. They are just outright stupid.

Thirdly,

The 2nd Law: Unsustainable

Supremacy

Prelude

Survival

Panic Station

Animals

Madness

Explorers

The 2nd Law: Isolated System

Something like that. I haven't worked out all the kinks yet. Nor even listened to it like that. But ... on topic.

So you have to be either an OoS'er or an Absolutioner?

There are exceptions to every rule

Scrap it, recall it, divorce the band wrecker Kate Hudson, and go back to the drawing board.

This entire album is a nightmare with zero redeeming qualities. Just saw them on SNL and both Christopher Wolstenholme and Dominic Howard looked like they were grimacing after the last song they played. HORNs?!? I mean really, horns?!? The only one who looked benignly pleased was Matt and he looked extremely smug about the catastrophe.

This album is a piece of shit, I am almost embarrassed to call myself a Muse fan now. WTF happened here? The only thing I can think of is that someone has got a serious case of "found me some hot ass, pretend to be unique and not a fame whore, piece of pussy".

That's it...Matt needs to pull his head out of his anus and hope he and Kate don't tear the band apart. Freakin' god damned shame!

I like you.

It's funny though because after the SNL performance Matt and Chris were sharing a pretty big smile to each other.

Keep the nasty Kate talk and speculation off the board and stick to talking about the band and their music only. Thanks!

Can we have a section of the board where we can talk shit about Kate?

It should a nice title too. A Yoko pun would be nice.

Can we have a section of the board where we can talk shit about Kate?

It should a nice title too. A Yoko pun would be nice.

:indiff:

It's funny though because after the SNL performance Matt and Chris were sharing a pretty big smile to each other.

Yeah! They looked pretty happy about their performance. :happy:

Hi Katie Hudson, this is your first ever post on muse messageboard... welcome.

I don't know why people always have it in for Matt. Stupid fantasies about Matt taking his band mates to a place they don't want to go with the music, based on no evidence at all. Not to mention the rudeness of one particular post. :stunned: I mean if he was a horrible person, horrible to fans etc, then maybe it could be understood but he's not. He comes over as a kind, nice guy who continuously says how it's all about the music for him. Yet people would rather not listen to anything he, or Chris and Dom or other people say, and form their own distorted impressions. :erm:

I haven't read all of this thread, gets to me when all people want to do is pick fault, but I'm with the poster who says basically that they are not performing monkeys. Firstly because they have no obligation to anyone, secondly because the music would be very stagnant and boring if all they did was write it to requests.

I wouldn't change anything about the album, because, first of all I like it a lot as it is, and secondly, I enjoy listening to what they come up with. That is how it should be, I think.

Even if it's not to my taste, I wouldn't want to change it, because then it wouldn't be personal to them. That is, even if I was a musician and able to write and create songs, I can't see any reason why I would want to rewrite their material and lose the quality that makes it theirs. If I didn't like it at all, I just wouldn't listen to it.

Luckily I do.

Finally, someone talking sense!

I love how Muse try something different every time, they're a prog rock band and prog means progressive which is about growth and experimentation.

If Muse brought out a rehash of an old album there'd be a whole bunch of forum threads complaining about how they don't try anything new and that it's all the same

You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time

Personally I think The 2nd Law gets better every time I listen to it, the only track I'm not keen on is Animals and that's mostly to do with how it ends but the rest of it is fantastic with some beautiful moments

And those people hating on Kate Hudson - grow up, Matt's and the other guys' personal lives are absolutely nothing to do with us.

Try to understand that not everyone who doesn't like the new wants them to go back to the old.

It's possible to be positive to moving forward and still not liking the result. You don't HAVE to like it just because it's something new.

And also, I'm of the opinion that Muse aren't growing or evolving. They've done the exact same thing for the past 3 albums, which is to fit as many genres into an album as possible. And from the interviews, that has been the goal too. Moving forward for me would be to actually pick a direction that they took with some of the songs and then develop on it.

Try to understand that not everyone who doesn't like the new wants them to go back to the old.

It's possible to be positive to moving forward and still not liking the result. You don't HAVE to like it just because it's something new.

And also, I'm of the opinion that Muse aren't growing or evolving. They've done the exact same thing for the past 3 albums, which is to fit as many genres into an album as possible. And from the interviews, that has been the goal too. Moving forward for me would be to actually pick a direction that they took with some of the songs and then develop on it.

I agree with this oh so much.

I can't argue with what Sippe said, to an extent.

However, making albums with differing genres is also completely different to a band that puts out a new album with the same old sound, repeatedly.

And as such, I'm still happy with the direction (or lack of direction) that they are going it.

It's absolutely possible to be okay with them not rewriting Abso or OoS, and NOT like the new album/direction. It's just an awful lot harder to be self-aware enough to KNOW that that's not the reason you don't like it... And by that I mean, not "I'm meh about it" but actually loathing it enough to write the awful things that some people are, in fact, writing.

I, honestly, would only change minor things.

I would combine Prelude into Survival, because although pretty, Prelude serves no purpose on the rather instrumental heavy tracklisting, and suffers in comparision to IS.

I would remove the choir from Survival entirely.

And, I'd move Chris's songs to the end of the album. There's just nowhere, imo, you could place them that wouldn't rip you out of the feel/flow of the album.

I've personally just removed them entirely... :(

Totally get rid of Isolated System...

Sorry, I just noticed this.

*trying to come up with something to display utter dismay and confusion without it seeming like I'm just implying your opinion is wrong for the sake of it*

YOU'RE WRONG.

Archived