How would you change The 2nd Law?

Niall

Side note.. anyone else think that the chorus to panic station sounds a bit like THRILLER? The, 'When its came to sacrifice imagination ' part reminds me a lot of '..but terror takes the sound before you make it'. Just me? I remember thinking that on my first listen. Decent tune still.

I've been saying that on here since last friday.. So no, not just you ;)

I took some ideas from a couple different people to make my own order of the album, and so far I really love it like this.

Unsustainable

Prelude

Survival

Madness

Panic Station

Follow Me

Big Freeze

Save Me

Explorers

Animals

Liquid State

Supremacy

Isolated System

Unsustainable through Madness are placed there for the same reasons Niall suggested, and it works very well indeed. I put Panic Station next because it's just so FUN and just feels like it fits earlier in the album as opposed to later. To follow that dancy theme, Follow Me is next. Big Freeze is a light-hearted, upbeat song before the wind-down to the much more mellow section with Save Me and Explorers. I felt at least one of Chris' songs should be earlier on instead of both being just tacked on at the end, like Niall was saying. After Matt says "Go to sleep," Animals starts to build things back up again. It feels like a natural progression thematically, where Explorers is a mellow song reflecting on the state of the world until the point where he can't take it anymore and starts to get angry about it. Liquid State into Supremacy completes the buildup to all-out chaos, and then Isolated System provides an excellent coda, continuing the theme that Unsustainable introduced and bringing it to its depressing conclusion as the universe dies.

I've thought way too much about this.

This is how I have it set up on my playlist, because the track listing of T2L makes next to no sense to me as it is :LOL:

1. T2L: Unsustainable

2. Supremacy

3. Liquid State

4. Big Freeze

5. Prelude

6. Survival

7. Madness

8. Panic Station

9. Follow Me

10. Save Me

11. Animals

12. Explorers

13. T2L: Isolated System

I think it just seems to flow better this way. Putting Chris's two songs together, and the "2nd Law" tracks together sounds awful! They sound far too jarring ... which may be the point of course but I like it my way :p

Edit: It would also be nice if Unsustainable transitioned into Supremacy, but I can't have everything in life I guess!

Ok, this is what I now have and will probably stick with.

T2L: Unsustainable

Supremacy

Liquid State

Panic Station

Madness

Prelude

Survival

Follow Me

Explorers

Big Freeze

Save Me

Animals

T2L: Isolated System

This seems to work well in terms of themes, and flow too.

Unsustainable

Supremacy

Liquid State

Panic Station

Prelude

Survival

Explorers

Madness

Follow Me

Save Me

Big Freeze

Animals

Isolated System

I like this one too.

Ummm....... Scrap the whole album except for Animals and Supremacy. Re-record Supremacy without the orchestra, and add in more raunchy guitar.

Then....

Lock the three of them in a rehearsal studio with just guitar bass and drums. Supply them with a bunch of magic mushrooms and coffee. Don't let them out until they've rediscovered why they're in a band, and what they're supposed to do with their instruments. :LOL:

Lock the three of them in a rehearsal studio with just guitar bass and drums. Supply them with a bunch of magic mushrooms and coffee. Don't let them out until they've rediscovered why they're in a band, and what they're supposed to do with their instruments. :LOL:

A.k.a. "I just really want to listen to OoS again".

A.k.a. "I just really want to listen to OoS again".

And what makes you think they'd write OoS all over again under those circumstances? :p

My point is that on T2L, instead of writing great songs, they've writing crap songs and decorated them with with gimmicks.

My joke thought is to take away the gimmicks, and give them something to boost creativity. Tis all. ;)

And what makes you think they'd write OoS all over again under those circumstances? :p

My point is that on T2L, instead of writing great songs, they've writing crap songs and decorated them with with gimmicks.

My joke thought is to take away the gimmicks, and give them something to boost creativity. Tis all. ;)

I'm beginning to think that the fact that Muse had two incredibly good albums is a fluke. I listened to OoS again today, and find myself asking, "Why Muse? Why? Why can't you just write great songs like these and play them on guitar, piano, bass and drums? Why all the silly fluff and electronics?"

RIP Muse. :'(

Hmmm....I wonder.

I changed the order too.

Unsustainable

Prelude

Survival

Madness

Panic Station

Big Freeze

Follow Me

Explorers

Save Me

Animals

Liquid State

Supremacy

Isolated System

This is working fantastically for me. It makes more sense this way and, wow, making Supremacy the opener really was a bad idea, and Supremacy followed by Madness was an even worse idea, haha.

• Make Supremacy more like the live version - give it a little more punch

• Change the vocals in Madness in the first half and get rid of the cringey "hmm" thing after the first verse

• Take the vocal effect out of the "TROLL" in Panic Station

• Make Prelude much longer

• Make Survival a little less cheesy - probably kill the choir

• Change everything before the first chorus in Follow Me completely

• Get rid of the riot sound effects in Animals

• Less "free me"s in Explorers and change the structure of the chorus a little

• Make some of the backing vocals in Big Freeze a little less gayish

• Trim Save Me a little

• Make Liquid State longer and turn it into a Dream Theater-like prog metal assault after the second chorus

• Fix the ending slide in Unsustainable and make it flow better into Isolated System

Archived