How would you change The 2nd Law?

Niall

I don't know why people always have it in for Matt. Stupid fantasies about Matt taking his band mates to a place they don't want to go with the music, based on no evidence at all. Not to mention the rudeness of one particular post. :stunned: I mean if he was a horrible person, horrible to fans etc, then maybe it could be understood but he's not. He comes over as a kind, nice guy who continuously says how it's all about the music for him. Yet people would rather not listen to anything he, or Chris and Dom or other people say, and form their own distorted impressions. :erm: ........

I wouldn't change anything about the album, because, first of all I like it a lot as it is, and secondly, I enjoy listening to what they come up with. That is how it should be, I think.

Warm, fluffy, teddy bears hugging and dancing under the sunshine in a lush green field with rainbows and butterflies......

Try to understand that not everyone who doesn't like the new wants them to go back to the old.

It's possible to be positive to moving forward and still not liking the result. You don't HAVE to like it just because it's something new.

And also, I'm of the opinion that Muse aren't growing or evolving. They've done the exact same thing for the past 3 albums, which is to fit as many genres into an album as possible. And from the interviews, that has been the goal too. Moving forward for me would be to actually pick a direction that they took with some of the songs and then develop on it.

Applause!!

Although I'd have to say that the last three albums have expressed an evolution. They have, one after the other, shown an increasing lack of cohesiveness.

Seriously -- Pick something and go with it Muse! Because it's getting to be like a restaurant that tries to serve 5 star dishes from 8 different world cuisines. It's simply not possible.

Applause!!

Although I'd have to say that the last three albums have expressed an evolution. They have, one after the other, shown an increasing lack of cohesiveness.

Seriously -- Pick something and go with it Muse! Because it's getting to be like a restaurant that tries to serve 5 star dishes from 8 different world cuisines. It's simply not impossible.

Though I agree that they should start to pick something and go with it, I also wouldn't want them to totally lose that sense of experimentation. I don't want them to become a "Green Day" type band where every song sounds somewhat the same. I just want the album to be a bit more cohesive. Also BHaR was pretty cohesive. The 2nd law was a little ridiculous in terms of lack of cohesiveness.

I mean Madness after Supremacy? :LOL:

Warm, fluffy, teddy bears hugging and dancing under the sunshine in a lush green field with rainbows and butterflies......

what?!

Incidentally, I think getting in a huge stew about the music a band put out is pathetic. Guess I think there are more important things to worry about.

Muse are to be enjoyed.

:musesign:

Posted it in another thread

Unsustainable

Supremacy

Prelude

Survival

Explorers

Liquid State

Big Freeze

Panic Station

Follow Me

Madness

Save Me

Animals

Isolated System

I think it has a good balance and at least it flows for me :)

Replace all the guitars with horns, add random bursts of dissonant noise and autotune the fuck outta Matt's voice. The album would also end with an ambient remix of Guiding Light as the hidden track.

Make Matt sing higher. Add fart noises.

I had better go and do some work before I get into trouble.

Unfortunately, a lot of the bands that "pick something and stick with it" end up with albums that, while they fit a certain 'style' and have better album flow, are ultimately boring, or consist of a radio single and a bunch of forced filler.

When a sound is too consistent, a song has to REALLY stand out from the rest to get noticed, often to the detriment of the rest of the album, imo.

Anyways, saying "I'd change T2L by having it completely NOT BE T2L" is largely pointless...

It's alright, if YOU dislike the album and explain why you think this album sucks. But it's just a bad style, if you ridicule someone, who really likes the album.

Unfortunately, a lot of the bands that "pick something and stick with it" end up with albums that, while they fit a certain 'style' and have better album flow, are ultimately boring, or consist of a radio single and a bunch of forced filler.

Yea, bands that suck maybe. Muse doesn't suck. T2L is far from a masterpiece though, and Muse are capable of much, much better.

When a sound is too consistent, a song has to REALLY stand out from the rest to get noticed, often to the detriment of the rest of the album, imo.

Say what? Give an example?

It's alright, if YOU dislike the album and explain why you think this album sucks. But it's just a bad style, if you ridicule someone, who really likes the album.

:erm: I'm not "ridiculing" anyone. I wrote down the imagery that her post created in my mind. I've told her on several occasions that I think it's lovely that she likes the album.

Mmmm, I had a post all ready to go that explained more on what I was talking about, but since "bands who suck" is way too subjective, and could be used as an argument against anything I point out, and this is a Muse board, I guess people will just have to take my word for it... on my own opinion...

I just really disagree with you, that's all. What you're basically implying is that unless a band makes a stylistically diverse album, it's boring.

Do you think that Dark Side of the Moon would have been better if Pink Floyd had thrown in a funk or a reggae tune? :LOL: Waters should've been slapping that bass, dammit!

Or maybe Nevermind would have been better if Kurt Cobain had tossed in a Lick-My-Love-Pumpesque, "Mach" type piece? :LOL:

Really -- what your saying makes no sense.

Actually, it was referring back to what I said regarding what Sippe said about the band not "evolving" - that they've been doing this sort of diverse thing for the last 3 albums, which I agree with.

There are many examples of bands who have kept albums too close to the same thing or style, and ended up suffering because they didn't just make the music they wanted to make, but were trying to follow a style, theme or story. This is particularly a problem when a lot of bands try to keep a similar "sound" across albums.

You can mention Pink Floyd and Nirvana, but those are clearly exceptions to many things. Most bands do in fact "suck" compared to them.

This also doesn't need to go to the extremes that Muse went to on this particular album - there doesn't need to be a mix of dubstep, funk and 80s movie soundtrack themes to be "diverse."

But, it IS honestly something Muse has been doing for quite a while, and I think BH&R had nearly as much stylistic differences between many of the tracks. Just, most of them weren't as controversial choices. :LOL: At least after the dust settled on SMBH.

Anyways, the thread is about what you'd change, and I still contend "everything" isn't an answer that needs to be talked to death. :p

There's definately a few minor things I'd change, but I'm actually glad Muse isn't trying to find a "Muse" sound and stick with it, even for one album. That's not a change I think they would do well with.

There's definately a few minor things I'd change, but I'm actually glad Muse isn't trying to find a "Muse" sound and stick with it, even for one album. That's not a change I think they would do well with.

Take A Bow, Starlight, SMBH, MoTP, MK Ultra, Easily, Glorious, Uprising, Resistance, Undisclosed Desires.

These would make for a much more stylistically cohesive album. Obviously half of them are written 3 years later, but I wouldn't say that it's too far of a stretch to assume that Muse COULD have written similar songs in the same period. If they wanted to, that is.

And at the same time, Knights of Cydonia, City of Delusion, Assassin, Exo-Politics, Soldiers Poem, Invincible, USoE, Hoodoo, Exogenesis, Unnatural Selection etc could very well have made a very stylistically similar album without ever losing the individuality of the tracks.

You're right in saying that some bands have problems with making the tracks stand out and feel different while still maintaining a similar sound, but I really don't think Muse are one of those bands. I think they're perfectly capable of sticking to a theme or a sound and still make tracks that do well on their own.

I think BH&R is a pretty cohesive album (with the exception of Soldier's Poem). The first 3/4 has this rock/electronic driven sound and then it sways into two acoustic tracks before having a nice acoustic transition back into that earlier sound.

Sure if you compare Hoodoo and MoTP then they don't seem similar at all but in the context of the album they work very well.

I actually like your first playlist there, quite a lot.

I definately think Muse could do it if they tried, and possibly be successful, but seeing as how unprolific they have been during the last album recording sessions, I would definately be worried.

It would definately tread into ground of making music for the "fans" versus what they want to do, which may or may not impact the quality of what they came out with.

I think that's where a lot of other bands go wrong - they're so concerned with cohesion, that they're not always making the music they want to, and avoiding trying things that don't "fit the mold" that might result in something musically better.

I also think iTunes and digital music have killed album cohesion nowdays, anyways.

That said, oddly, T2L is probably the only album in a long time I find myself listening to front to back (with the removal of SM, LS.)

Plus, they could have made a full dubstep album, "finding something and sticking with it" and I think the trailor showed us how that would have turned out, for fans. :LOL:

Ya.

"Sure if you compare Hoodoo and MoTP then they don't seem similar at all but in the context of the album they work very well."

But if the context is "style 1 changing into acoustics changing back into style 1", then that's a bit weird.

"It goes back into that earlier sound at the end"

"But the early and latter sounds don't sound anything alike"

"but they do in the context of the album"

"and what is that context?"

"That the album has a style, goes acoustic in the middle and then goes back to the earlier sound".

Now explain to me what TaB, Starlight, SMBH and MoTP has in common with Exo-Politics, Assassin, Hoodoo and KoC other than having verses and choruses and being on the same album.

"Sure if you compare Hoodoo and MoTP then they don't seem similar at all but in the context of the album they work very well."

But if the context is "style 1 changing into acoustics changing back into style 1", then that's a bit weird.

"It goes back into that earlier sound at the end"

"But the early and latter sounds don't sound anything alike"

"but they do in the context of the album"

"and what is that context?"

"That the album has a style, goes acoustic in the middle and then goes back to the earlier sound".

Now explain to me what TaB, Starlight, SMBH and MoTP has in common with Exo-Politics, Assassin, Hoodoo and KoC other than having verses and choruses and being on the same album.

Exo-Politics and Assassin might be "rockier" and heavier tracks than the others but they still fit in with the general theme and feel of the album. Not every song is going to sound the same/be the same genre.

Actually, it was referring back to what I said regarding what Sippe said about the band not "evolving" - that they've been doing this sort of diverse thing for the last 3 albums, which I agree with.

Bands can evolve without making stylistically schizophrenic albums. U2's "Boy" is extremely different from The Joshua Tree, and songs on either album wouldn't have worked if the two were mingled together. Neither album is "boring", however.

I think I'm gonna try this tracklist:

Prelude

Survival

Madness

Liquid State

Supremacy

Unsustainable

Explorers

Follow Me

Animals

Panic Station

Big Freeze

Save Me

Isolated System

Maybe I suck at tracklists, but for the first time ever I feel compelled to make my own if I have any hope of listening to this "collection of songs" in one go. I just tried to balance out favorites and put Madness near the beginning to get it over with. :p I should just ditch it altogether.

Haven't actually tried this out yet, so I'm sure I'll probably tweak it.

I think I'm gonna try this tracklist:

Prelude

Survival

Madness

Liquid State

Supremacy

Unsustainable

Explorers

Follow Me

Animals

Panic Station

Big Freeze

Save Me

Isolated System

Maybe I suck at tracklists, but for the first time ever I feel compelled to make my own if I have any hope of listening to this "collection of songs" in one go. I just tried to balance out favorites and put Madness near the beginning to get it over with. :p I should just ditch it altogether.

Haven't actually tried this out yet, so I'm sure I'll probably tweak it.

Not going to lie. This is terrible.

Archived