How would you change The 2nd Law?

Niall

I think this is the tracklist I've come to: (Sorry for pic but I love the colours.)

muse%20new%20order%20t2l.png

Liquid State introduces Chris straight away, with this little neat rocker.

Supremacy fits wonderfully after LS

Prelude is perfect after Madness.

Big Freeze seems to fit after Survival, the cheesy songs in the middle

Explorers calms everything down a bit.

Save Me fits very much after Explorers

Follow Me picks up the pace after two slow songs.

Animals - one of the best and most progressive tracks near the end, theme flows neatly into Isolated System.

I've posted one before, but I came up with a better one (perhaps).

it has often been said that the Unsustainable--->Isolated System flow is very bad. But what about the Isolated System--->Unsustainable flow? I think it's pretty good. and in this regard, IS could be just as good as album opener as album closer. something like:

Isolated System

Unsustainable

Supremacy

Animals

Liquid State

Panic Station

Big Freeze

Madness

Save Me

Explorers

Follow Me

Survival

I don't know wether sacraficing IS from the closing position for the sake of the IS--->Unsustainable flow is worth it, but perhaps it is.

Also, I like the idea of finishing off the album big. not sure yet which one's better though: calmly watching as the world gets fucked up, or singing loudly in a rock-choir about how I'm going to survive it :D

Wow some of these tracklists seem more absurd to me than the way it actually is on the album...

:( I tried to not do that, at least. Maybe I could have put Follow Me after Panic Station instead, Save Me goes kinda neatly into Animals. :)

Supremacy

Liquid State

Animals

Follow Me

Unsustainable

Madness

Panic Station

Big Freeze

Prelude

Survival

Isolated System

Bangin'

I've actually had that playlist since it came out, don't like the actual tracklisting at all

In my opinion, I really like Survival and Isolated System back to back. Now that I think about it, the two general feelings of the song really contradict each other. Survival has that "Lifesaraceandimgonnawin" logic, while Isolated system transitions that feeling to a calm, losing hope feeling. Great way to end an album on an emotional note.

I thought that the album was gonna open with Unsustainable at first before they announced the setlist, given the preview trailer that was released in June.

1) To me, the order of the songs seems rather off. It feels like I've put the album on shuffle when I play it through.

2) I always wondered why Big Freeze was such a calm song, and it's actually irritating me a lot. I mean, the big freeze symbolises the end of the Universe, I thought it would be a little darker than being the lightest song on the album.

3) Big Freeze should have been partnered with, or at least have included a B-side called Heat Death.

4) Unsustainable and Isolated System, while being awesome, feel like they have their lyrics/words lifted straight off Wikipedia, and it's a little in-your-face. I know thermodynamics are probably the coolest thing to have ever existed, but tone it down a bit.

1) To me, the order of the songs seems rather off. It feels like I've put the album on shuffle when I play it through.

2) I always wondered why Big Freeze was such a calm song, and it's actually irritating me a lot. I mean, the big freeze symbolises the end of the Universe, I thought it would be a little darker than being the lightest song on the album.

3) Big Freeze should have been partnered with, or at least have included a B-side called Heat Death.

4) Unsustainable and Isolated System, while being awesome, feel like they have their lyrics/words lifted straight off Wikipedia, and it's a little in-your-face. I know thermodynamics are probably the coolest thing to have ever existed, but tone it down a bit.

For a six-year-old, you're pretty wise! :)

The crazy tracklisting of this album has driven me to reconfigure it to my own needs. I think that the frontloading of the big singles ruins the pace of the album, and it seems as if Matt disappears half way through, registering only with a few howls in the last 4 tracks.

Anyway, I've enjoyed reading the other track lists and humbly submit my own, which I have burned to CD and am enjoying.

Unsustainable

Supremacy

Liquid State

Panic Station

Follow Me

Big Freeze

Prelude / Survival

Animals

Madness

Save me

Isolated System

Explorers

being a vinyl-head I tend to think of albums as having 2 'sides', and have sequenced the album in such a way

Unsustainable is such a bold piece of music it works perfectly as an opener, an overture of sorts for the themes of the album.

It crashes straight into Supremacy. I edited a bit of the silences out so the 2 flow into each other very tightly.

Liquid State - i wanted to introduce Chris's vocals early - in the true track list, I find they are kind of left at the end, squirrelled away at the back where only people with patience can wait to hear them!

Panic Station and Follow Me feel like 2 singles and i like them back to back here.

'Side one' ends with Big Freeze, which is an upbeat anthemic way to end the side (can't understand the hate it's getting in some quarters - I like it a lot).

Prelude / Survival start side 2 with a big intense charge. It flows well into Animals.

The cacophony of voices at the end of Animals is cut off abruptly by the calm single voice at the beginning of Madness (again, some audio editing here to jam them together). being the closest thing to a 'ballad' I like Madness' placing at this point in the album, even though conventional wisdom says stick the big single early - it didn't always used to be like that.

Liquid State - the second Chris song forms a nice bracketing with the first one appearing in the opening salvo...

as does Isolated System, which acts as a finale to the album, bookending nicely with its counterpart.

Explorers - of course this should be the last song, it is a lullaby after all, and even after the finale of Isoated System, this acts as a denouement, with an uplifting vibe, and a hopeful lyric.

folder.jpg

Take out Madness, Panic Station, Big Freeze, Explorers, Follow Me... I've been thinking about this a lot lately. Is anyone else questioning their liking for Muse's music since The 2nd Law was released? I went to the Manchester gig which was awesome, but I'm wondering now whether I like the direction they're moving in ...there are actually other bands now who have knocked them off my No 1 spot

I'm wondering now whether I like the direction they're moving in ...

direction? you mean trying to stuff all existing musical genres into one album?

they just do whatever springs to their minds and think it might be interesting. sometimes this turns out great, like Panic Station and sometimes utter shit like Madness.

and since they're so radically eclectic, it's likely that you'll dislike some of their work. calling it "direction", like they are intentionally progressing towards something is just pointless.

Archived