What do you think of Madness  

800 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of Madness

• It's freaking amazing!
    • Pretty good. Decent pop song.
    • Tolerable, but me-me-me-meh.
    • I feel ill. Make it go away.

Just curious, does everyone think Madness is really boring because of how minimal and subdued it is in the beginning or because of the simplicity of the chord progression and structure of the song?

Probably both.

I personally think it is a really different and cool sound for Muse and even if it isn't everyone's cup of tea I think it is a change of style that they really pull of effectively.

Agreed.

Still a very static chord progression. It just goes to show that the chords don't matter if you use them well.

Well yeah but also there's a reason for the same chord progressions being used in a million songs. They sound good to people's ears and they're catchy. People can sing along to them more easily because they know what to expect harmonically.

So really there's virtue to simple chord progressions and more complex chord progressions.

I don't really get it why some Musers hate Madness :indiff: Of course everyone has their own thoughts of everything but.. Madness is amazing! And I can't wait to hear it live.

You think it's amazing, I think it's dreadful. What

is there to 'get' and why is it of any concern to you who likes it and who doesn't?!

I don't like it because the 'Mamama' bit is irritating and cringey, Matt's voice makes me cringe until the end, the Prince sex gasps make me cringe and Chris and Dom aren't particularly present on the track at all. Oh, and I can honestly see it being the new UD live.

I agree with Jobby. I would also add that it's simply not what I listen to Muse for.

Both these posts echo my sentiments perfectly :)

Just listened to the live performance again with good headphones and I noticed a lot of cool nuances that I hadn't heard before.

In the beginning there is a cool soft pad that Morgan is playing on the keyboard that quietly rings in the background. Also I just noticed that once Morgan and Matt start playing guitar for a moment Matt plays those same ringing notes with tremolo on his guitar while Morgan is playing the muted part.

I think it's really cool how actually live this song is and doesn't seem to rely on backing tracks at all. The whole thing is arranged really beautifully.

The whole song does a bit I guess

Funny thing, it reminded me of Eternally Missed as well. I thought it was because of the lyrical connection, that whole idea that it doesn't matter if its the real deal or not as long as it feels right - an interesting idea I thought, hence my signature quotes - but I suppose it could be something about the music as well. That would be really cool.

I suppose it would be too good to be true to suppose that Eternally Missed could be the rare b side they spoke about performing, or was I dreaming that...

I love Eternally Missed - it has made me feel emotional just thinking about it - well I played it too.

I just thought - the idea that Matt whispered "I miss you" which also sounded like "Madness yeah"... surreal! - nah maybe it's just late.

Was good on TV, but the crowd will be utterly dead during the gigs... just watch

What I meant by how live it is was how much every member of the band actively contributes to the arrangement to the song as opposed to Undisclosed Desires where Matt kinda just sings and plays only a few notes on the keytar at the end which aren't even the main string plucking part.

Was good on TV, but the crowd will be utterly dead during the gigs... just watch

Maybe that's why it was released as a single. So the crowd knows it from the start and can sing along and isn't bored out of their minds waiting for the song to end or get to the good part.

(I still enjoy Madness, but it'll be a waste of song during concerts.)

Archived