Flash Gigs (organised via twitter)

leetroot

I'm thinking of an announcement on Twitter of the gig time and place, say about two hours before it's due to start. (Venues could be booked under assumed names - different name each night I guess to avoid being tracked) I wonder how many people would actually go? Perhaps this would be a way to play small venues?

Part of me thinks it would be a brilliant idea - gigs announced at short notice, only those who can get there in time would get in etc

The other part of me knows that I wouldn't find out about them in time/ or would be unable to go and would be cursing at missing out.

What are your thoughts?

I'm thinking of an announcement on Twitter of the gig time and place, say about two hours before it's due to start. (Venues could be booked under assumed names - different name each night I guess to avoid being tracked) I wonder how many people would actually go? Perhaps this would be a way to play small venues?

Part of me thinks it would be a brilliant idea - gigs announced at short notice, only those who can get there in time would get in etc

The other part of me knows that I wouldn't find out about them in time/ or would be unable to go and would be cursing at missing out.

What are your thoughts?

Sounds ridiculous imho.

It works better if you're in a band starting out, particulary at jamming events (which is the nearest we have to a music scene locally), but then that's different because you can just turn up with your instruments and play.

I know what you mean but like Clunge said, it'll almost certainly be leaked. But I like the idea of it.

Not a good idea with a big band like Muse. You could end up with all sorts of problems, like, for example, in London, you could quite easily turn a tube station and surrounding area into a very dangerous place when 30000 Muse fans turn up en mass and proceed to a 800 person venue.

Also I don't see Muse doing it as it isn't exactly commercially viable. They're a band that has to tour arenas and stadiums for two and half years to meet demands, playing a load of tiny gigs that aren't promoted doesn't really fit in with that business model, and there would indeed have to be a lot or you'd end up pissing a lot of Muse fans off.

Oh, then in that case this will definitely happen.

So let me get this straight. Muse are in Narnia and they Suddenly say on twitter 'gig down the road in 2 hours' and everyone goes into mass hysteria because there is no way possible they could go

Sounds like a good plan bro

Wow, the little girl is learning fast.

Wow, the little girl is learning fast.

Such patronising people :(

God imagine if they appeared at T in the park I think I would throw myself off a bridge purely because all my friends are going except me and they would never let me hear the last of it...

What are your thoughts?

Foo Fighters pretty much did that for dingwalls in camden (which dom was at, maybe got some ideas?). I think it was the night before or even that day, unbelievable gig - will never forget it. Beats seeing them at say milton keynes.

edit: Just checked actually and yeah, bought the tickets at 2pm on the day and the gig was at 6pm!

Sounds like gig speculations to me so I'm going to merge this with the main speculation thread.

It wasn't really, it was a distinct subject, I'm going to resplit it into a new thread again, was specifically about a particular kind of gig, not just tour dates.

A fight between mods! :fear:

Seriously though, I think that this kind of twitter gigs wouldn't work well at this moment of their career... If twitter was used, say, 10 years ago it could have been a great idea, as the band had way less fans and not many people would have complained about losing that special occasion. (sorry if this seems nonsense, I'm a bit tired now)

Sounds like gig speculations to me so I'm going to merge this with the main speculation thread.

It wasn't really, it was a distinct subject, I'm going to resplit it into a new thread again, was specifically about a particular kind of gig, not just tour dates.

Are you just going to take that? That is the equivalent of an internet mod bitch slap.

Foos did it under their own name, on twitter and played this set:

Set List:

Bridge Burning

Rope

Dear Rosemary

White Limo

Arlandria

These Days

Back And Forth

A Matter Of Time

Miss The Misery

I Should Have Known

Walk

All My Life

Generator

My Hero

Up In Arms

Enough Space

Times Like These

Stacked Actors

Cold Day In The Sun

Watershed

Long Road To Ruin

Big Me

I'll Stick Around

For All The Cows

Monkey Wrench

Hey, Johnny Park!

Everlong

Encore

Aurora

Young Man Blues

This Is A Call

If they did do this kind of thing they'd have to do it before the new album and possibly under a different name to narrow down the crowds.

Rocket Baby Dolls? :awesome:

Would be cool for pre-album warm-up gigs. Small venues, showcase some songs from the new album, interesting setlists (no need to play all the hits if it's a 'secret gig').

Rocket Baby Dolls? :awesome:

Would be cool for pre-album warm-up gigs. Small venues, showcase some songs from the new album, interesting setlists (no need to play all the hits if it's a 'secret gig').

They could disguise themselves as a cover band! :awesome:

Foos did it under their own name, on twitter and played this set:

Set List:

Bridge Burning

Rope

Dear Rosemary

White Limo

Arlandria

These Days

Back And Forth

A Matter Of Time

Miss The Misery

I Should Have Known

Walk

All My Life

Generator

My Hero

Up In Arms

Enough Space

Times Like These

Stacked Actors

Cold Day In The Sun

Watershed

Long Road To Ruin

Big Me

I'll Stick Around

For All The Cows

Monkey Wrench

Hey, Johnny Park!

Everlong

Encore

Aurora

Young Man Blues

This Is A Call

That is one hell of a set-list :stunned:

Olly's example shows how it really can work. :D

Did you buy the tickets online Olly or on the door in the afternoon?

I thought it may work best with at the door so that people who had no chance of getting there didn't take up places.

My theory was that the venue should be booked under an assumed name so that no info leaks beforehand. Then it would be announced as a Muse gig on the Muse twitter and then all hell breaks loose! :LOL:

Archived