Why is there no videos of Matt singing in studio?

aMU5Eme

I know I should have multi-quoted this, but my response to this was an afterthought.

There are lots of Muse songs in which the verses have zero guitar part. Matt is singing without playing his guitar. Yes, he gets to "hide" behind his guitar, but because he's not playing anything, the audience focal point is his face. That's pretty bold, if you ask me. ;)

Matt may be shy, but he's no wuss. :LOL: I've known many musicians (and an actor or two) that are painfully shy in person, yet can indeed let loose on stage. HOW they do it has always been a subject of fascination for me, because I, personally, could not do it. But some people, (which seemingly includes Matt), are shy yet amazing performers.

I think you seem to have forgotten what we're talking about.

That he is a shy yet amazing performer is a weird way to summarize it when we're talking about him not wanting to have people look at him when he sings in the studio.

And no matter what you say, Matt isn't performing on his own during Unintended. And it's not near as intimate as a recording session.

I think you seem to have forgotten what we're talking about.

That he is a shy yet amazing performer is a weird way to summarize it when we're talking about him not wanting to have people look at him when he sings in the studio.

And no matter what you say, Matt isn't performing on his own during Unintended. And it's not near as intimate as a recording session.

Sippe! Makin' excuses for the Bell-boy! :LOL:

Matt does seem to have some "quirks", doesn't he? :chuckle: Who knows. Maybe he does have a studio-phobia. I, personally, think there's more to the story though. ;)

And it could be as simple as he doesn't like the way his voice sounds. I mean, most people I know think their voice sounds really weird when they hear it recorded because it sounds different to how you hear it in your head.

just throwing it out there, no one will really know for sure.

Hello Carrie.

Oh and, he has mentioned his stage fright before going on stage several times. And also his fright of performing without a band.

pffffthahahaha

I have no idea... I guess if you'd like to listen to his voice without the instrumental, there's songs on youtube that have been edited...

pffffthahahaha

I have no idea... I guess if you'd like to listen to his voice without the instrumental, there's songs on youtube that have been edited...

Not necessarily edited, mostly downloaded from the warner site :chuckle: I have all albums instrumental, bar a few songs.

It's true he doesn't let people hear him in the studio (read it in out of this world - story of muse) think its because after all this time he still doesn't seem to think his voice is anything special and isn't very confident about it and being serious, how many times have you seen him sing live with absolutely no instruments playing?

Also in the making of the resistance video what Matt is holding a copy of the score whilst listening to USOE he keeps screwing his face up and although it's obvs half jokingly I genuinely think he gets embarrassed hearing his voice. He is human as hard as it is to believe :')

I don't think it's so much entirely he thinks his voice isn't good enough. It's pretty common to not want to hear your own voice (like how many times has someone heard themselves and said "Is that what I sound like?!").

There are people who just love the sound of their own voice though, but I guess Matt's not one of them.

• 2 weeks later...

There's a whole bootleg of track-clicking from Wembley 2010! It's quite cool to hear what they hear on stage, but it would get pretty annoying having to hear that constantly.

Oh, and it's 'Why ARE there no videos of Matt singing in the studio?' ... Oops, sorry! My inner grammar Nazi escaped for a second. I've locked him back up again now, so all is safe ;).

This is going to be semi off topic but do they have click tracks playing in their ears? I have wondered about this in the past.

Yeah they all do - that's how the bliss arpeggios etc are all in time with the band.

Yeh they play to click tracks - the noise would get on my nerves hearing that for 2hrs

it would get pretty annoying having to hear that constantly.

Nah - as a drummer who plays live with clicks every week - it drowns out because it's so constant and repetitive. Like a clock ticking - you don't realise it's there. :LOL:

Nah - as a drummer who plays live with clicks every week - it drowns out because it's so constant and repetitive. Like a clock ticking - you don't realise it's there. :LOL:

It must help to keep you in time, too. Well, it does for me anyways! I'm usually happily tapping away and then realise I'm not in time with the song at all :LOL::$.

Plus, apparently at Wembley '07 (and prob '10 as well) they couldn't hear each other's instruments cos it was all so massive (stage/sound/crowd noise), so they relied on clicks to figure out who was playing what and when, haha! Can't remember where I read that, but I'm sure it's not far off from what they experienced.

The click track seems to blend for me... makes the song sound hilarious.

So who's ear is this from?

Chris' apparently.

Iirc, it's Matt's. TaB was late in the show, and I recall that after RBS the recording goes from Chris' ear to Matt's. In fact, you can hear his voice and the guitar much "stronger" than bass and drums.

Has anyone put those "ear" recordings on YouTube? I did a quick search but wasn't lucky. I've got no idea how to download bootlegs, sorry :$

Or can people just shortly explain what exactly do their hear from their "ears"? The clicks (had to check from Wikipedia what that means, another :$) but is it just that? Do they get the stuff others are playing? Any talk from people outside the stage?

How are the clicks started? Does one from the band start a device that then sends the track? Or is it all preprogrammed and Matt has to speak fast to keep in the schedule ;)

Has anyone put those "ear" recordings on YouTube? I did a quick search but wasn't lucky. I've got no idea how to download bootlegs, sorry :$

Or can people just shortly explain what exactly do their hear from their "ears"? The clicks (had to check from Wikipedia what that means, another :$) but is it just that? Do they get the stuff others are playing? Any talk from people outside the stage?

How are the clicks started? Does one from the band start a device that then sends the track? Or is it all preprogrammed and Matt has to speak fast to keep in the schedule ;)

Just search "Muse in-ear monitors" on YouTube. The band hear what you hear in those videos. I assume someone backstage starts the click-track.

Just search "Muse in-ear monitors" on YouTube. The band hear what you hear in those videos. I assume someone backstage starts the click-track.

Thank you, that's really interesting :) I listened to a few, TAB, MotP, Hysteria and SS. Hmm, now I'm wondering doesn't SS have bass line at all - I can't hear anything coming "from close" like on the other ones?? :confused: I'm also wondering how do they make these mixes - is this really what Chris/Matt hear via their ear monitor, or is this the ear monitor feed mixed together with a microphone close to them? Or does the ear monitor have a microphone on it? Bah, I basically have no idea how the sound of a band is recorded and fed to the loudspeakers, what is fed back to players and how and what they are supposed to simply hear from the surroundings.

Anyway I have to say I didn't "hear" the click track after a little while. It became somehow natural part of the song. I totally believe it becomes for the players something like clock ticking for others. Hmm, on some songs it sort of added an extra groove to the song ;)

Another comment, the vocals separately (Chris background on one these and also the one of Matt someone linked earlier in the thread) sound horrible! They are pretty monotonic, not much melody in them. No wonder I don't usually manage to sing (erm, hum, croon?) any Muse songs on my own. Unintended is an exception, I suppose it's one of the rare ones driven by the vocals.

Archived