Why is there no videos of Matt singing in studio?

aMU5Eme

Because apparently he doesn't even let Dom and Chris hear him sing in the studio, nevermind the entire world. He's shy.

Actually it is this ^^.... Matt will only have one person in the studio when he records the vocals.. its the same guy each time, can't remember his name but he absolutely won't have it recorded if he is that anal about who is even in the same room (so to speak).

I think he gets embarrassed about it.

Actually it is this ^^.... Matt will only have one person in the studio when he records the vocals.. its the same guy each time, can't remember his name but he absolutely won't have it recorded if he is that anal about who is even in the same room (so to speak).

I think he gets embarrassed about it.

How do you know this -- about the "one guy, same guy."?

I dunno. I really don't buy it. Matt can be pretty 'in-your-face' with his singing. (Think "Hey you crazy kids!") He doesn't suffer from stage fright at all whatsoever, and has performed acoustically before (much more "intimate"). I honestly think there's more to the story than being "anal" or embarrassed.

If I ever had an opportunity to interview Matt, asking him about his vocal recording habits would be one of my burning questions. :LOL:

How do you know this -- about the "one guy, same guy."?

I dunno. I really don't buy it. Matt can be pretty 'in-your-face' with his singing. (Think "Hey you crazy kids!") He doesn't suffer from stage fright at all whatsoever, and has performed acoustically before (much more "intimate"). I honestly think there's more to the story than being "anal" or embarrassed.

If I ever had an opportunity to interview Matt, asking him about his vocal recording habits would be one of my burning questions. :LOL:

To be fair, he was shitface drunk then :chuckle:

To be honest, I just think it's Bellamy logic at work again. He gets self-concious in the studio but can perform in front of massive crowds with ease. He has said multiple times though that the crowd gives him a huge adrenaline boost so I guess there could be some reasoning there. But with the old acoustic sets there would only really be a very small (and silent) crowd or even just cameramen etc. so why he feels fine with that and not in the studio, I have no idea :rolleyes:

He doesn't suffer from stage fright at all whatsoever

Hello Carrie.

Oh and, he has mentioned his stage fright before going on stage several times. And also his fright of performing without a band.

Hello Carrie.

Oh and, he has mentioned his stage fright before going on stage several times. And also his fright of performing without a band.

Carrie? :erm:

I recall seeing at least two interviews where Matt has been asked about stage fright. He stated that he's used to the adrenaline rush, and actually likes it. He also said that if performers aren't "used to it", it can lead to vomiting.

It could be suspected that Matt is so "used" to performing that he doesn't even get a massive adrenaline rush anymore. It could possibly explain his seemingly growing concern about perfect performances. If he's no longer getting the "energy" from adrenaline, his performances can come off as "flat", and maybe he knows it.

There's no way in shit that Matt suffers from debilitating stage fright. If anything, I suspect he's becoming more apathetic about performing.

Carrie? :erm:

I recall seeing at least two interviews where Matt has been asked about stage fright. He stated that he's used to the adrenaline rush, and actually likes it. He also said that if performers aren't "used to it", it can lead to vomiting.

I'll let Sippe explain the Carrie comment, but yeah I wouldn't be surprised if Matt got nervous before going on stage. It's pretty normal to get frightened before going on stage even if you do get comfortable later.

Also, even with his crazy screams and acoustic sets he's playing with the band. Not singing completely by himself with no other instrument at all.

Also this:

This. A singer can sound differently through a PA system than acoustically

I wouldn't be surprised if Matt got nervous before going on stage.

Sure! Me neither! But being "nervous" has a very wide spectrum. It can go from having "butterflies" to being literally "frozen" and unable to perform. There's no way Matt is on the "frozen" end of the scale. He may very well be nervous before going on stage, but he has the ability to somehow channel those nerves into explosive performances (in the early days, anyway). That's why I suspect it may very well be a LACK of nerves which is responsible for his lackluster more recent performances. ;) No nerves can = apathy.

.......... he's playing with the band. Not singing completely by himself with no other instrument at all.

I know I should have multi-quoted this, but my response to this was an afterthought.

There are lots of Muse songs in which the verses have zero guitar part. Matt is singing without playing his guitar. Yes, he gets to "hide" behind his guitar, but because he's not playing anything, the audience focal point is his face. That's pretty bold, if you ask me. ;)

Matt may be shy, but he's no wuss. :LOL: I've known many musicians (and an actor or two) that are painfully shy in person, yet can indeed let loose on stage. HOW they do it has always been a subject of fascination for me, because I, personally, could not do it. But some people, (which seemingly includes Matt), are shy yet amazing performers.

There are lots of Muse songs in which the verses have zero guitar part. Matt is singing without playing his guitar. Yes, he gets to "hide" behind his guitar, but because he's not playing anything, the audience focal point is his face. That's pretty bold, if you ask me. ;)

Yeah, but it's not like it's ONLY his voice. I remember reading something about how he doesn't like the sound of his voice without accompaniment.

And yeah, performance is strange. I personally don't get stage fright, yet I can barely handle one-on-one conversation with someone that is not a close friend without wanting to crap my pants…

And yeah, performance is strange. I personally don't get stage fright, yet I can barely handle one-on-one conversation with someone that is not a close friend without wanting to crap my pants…

I actually feel the same way. Never played guitar live but have played other instruments and I'm fine on stage. But regular talking, or even going in front of a crowd for anything that's not music makes me shit myself.

I actually feel the same way. Never played guitar live but have played other instruments and I'm fine on stage. But regular talking, or even going in front of a crowd for anything that's not music makes me shit myself.

It's funny, because my own mother is one of the musicians I'm referring to with my comment. Now, she's not "famous" or anything, but ever since she was a little girl, she could sing in front of people without shitting herself. She does choir work, and often solos. My mom is painfully shy. And when I say painfully shy, I'm NOT exaggerating! She can also play piano on stage too. I seriously don't GET where she musters her courage from. Especially when she was young and in high school. She always told me that, she would much rather SING in front of people than SPEAK. I wish I had an ounce of my mother's courage.

My Dad is not a professional actor, but does have extensive experience (AND his SAG card ;)) My father is a social basket case, yet is a very well regarded actor locally. He sings sometimes too! Fucking blows my mind every time I see my Dad in a live performance knowing what he's really like. I wish I had a smidgeon of my Dad's drive and courage too. ;)

I couldn't even try out guitars in the music store without shitting myself until recently. :LOL: I've gained some "fuck it" attitude over the past few months, and BOY does it feel good! :p

Archived